1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Who the hell pays $400+ per night for a hotel!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Mar 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have always shook my head and said to myself who the hell would pay over $400 per night for a hotel room? Well, I've become one of those people. We just returned from Spring Training and we stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Old Town Scottsdale.

I understand supply and demand and the hotel was walking distance to Scottsdale Stadium, the Spring Training home of the SF Giants. It was filled with Giants fans and conference people. I got the feeling we were the only ones paying full freight. Everybody else had coupons for food and drink.

Nice hotel with pool & workout area, decent bar with a great happy hour. King bed with fridge & microwave, but OMG, I never imagined I would pay that much for a hotel room. $1,800 for four nights with taxes. We have paid in other cities, but never that much. But, I haven't paid for a room in Vegas in over 30 years and it is sticker shock.

I know others are going to pipe in about how much they have paid, but still a shocker to me and the fact that I even booked it. We used to stay at the Travelodge on 5th St (now closed) and that was fine. Just your basic motel.

I guess just less for the nieces & nephews to inherit, no kids. :D After saving all our lives, we are definitely in the spend mode. Vegas in 3 weeks, then San Diego, then Portland ME. Vegas again in Oct, Nov & Dec.

2. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I can't see spending that much to watch shitty AAA ball.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anything above $200 is a killer to us. We recently did a weekend night in downtown Nashville and the good hotels were $400 more or less. The Holiday Inn Express was $250. Supply and demand I guess. Oh yea, overnight parking was $35.

4. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And... Hilton Garden Inn's don't even have free-breakfast! The bastards! :cry:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. h0llywood

h0llywood VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Damn 400? I pay half that for resorts in Hawaii

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  6. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When you go to spring training, you're not there for the on the field product, or who wins or loses...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was in laughlin all last week. paid $19 per night full pop for my room with a balcony. Older room but lots for channels and kicking ac and no resort fees.

Just watched sports in the sports book.

There is no way in the world i would pay $400 per night for a hotel room.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. TrewBrew

TrewBrew I may be right, I may be Crazy.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Couldn't do it myself. Before we planned the trip to Vegas we were trying to put together a key west vacation. For a long weekend we were looking at 500 to 600 for a place on the water. Would have been 2500 to 3000 for the 5 days we were looking at. We always say we want to travel more. Guess we will need to just do it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

What about renting a house for the week?

10. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's not that long ago that I thought paying $100 for a hotel was absurd!

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Believe it or not thats common on weekends in AC ,but usually its four "club kids" Plus in some cases as many as they can sneak in. Three or four hundred is no big deal for these kids when they whack it up four ways. My buddys son who is a 40 something NYC exec paid 300 something at the Borgata for him and his wife to see a concert there. Plus the tix and dinner. This sat. Ballys $399 Harrahs sun. night $499. w/o total rewards of course.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  12. Tahoejoe2

Tahoejoe2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $19, you got ripped off.
    CET has a promo. Charter air and 3 nights in Laughlin for $30 per person. Flight is from Sacramento, Ca.:poke:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. lp670lambo

lp670lambo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What are some of the reasons behind going to spring training?

14. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seeing big league talent in a far more intimate setting than you can anywhere else, being surrounded by baseball and having the ability to catch parts of several games in one afternoon, the excitement of the beginning of a new season, a warm weather getaway for those in cold climates, just a great local atmosphere, like a kickass ski town.

Honestly if you have to ask, you probably won't get it, but true baseball fans know what I'm talking about.

This short video/story sums it far better than anything I could type...

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2017/03/05/218076178/d-backs-oscar-hernandez-brandon-drury-play-catch-with-fan

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We looked to vacation in other locations and it appears $400-$500 is the norm which is why my wife continue to insist we go to Vegas.
    Even with them playing games with Resort Fees and stuff, its still cheaper than most other places.
    Its my understanding its the cheap hotel prices (relatively speaking) that makes Vegas one of the main locations for conventions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Key West is a total blast, been there four times and I would go back tomorrow. There are lots of different types of accommodations, but if you want to be on the water, that's where the air is rare. We stayed at the Southernmost resort for our 25th and it was expensive even in late September. There are time shares, rental homes and condos. There is also the Navy base and I heard there are rental townhouses available for retired vets.

17. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We book a little further out and save a few hundred dollars per night. Then we rent a car with some of the savings and get to see the city and try more of the local stuff.

18. TrewBrew

TrewBrew I may be right, I may be Crazy.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We definitely need to do it. We were kicking ourselves this February because we didn't go. I should look again and just reserve a place. Maybe for the fall.

19. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spring Training is a lot of fun for true baseball fans and even casual fans. We go occasionally if we visit the Ft. Myers area at that time, even though our team no longer trains in Florida. There is no hotel in that area worth $400 per night to us. That is at least $100 more than I have ever paid for a room anywhere, and we have stayed at some exceptionally nice places. However, if you have it and don't mind spending it, I say more power to you.

20. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I went 4 years ago in mid February and we were swimming at the beach in Ft. Zachary Taylor State park, yet snowing in Philly. Went fishing and 4 guys filled a 100 quart cooler in about 3 hours. Southwest has flights out of Key West, which can be expensive. But you can fly into Miami and rent car one way and drop it off in Key West, the overland highway is a road trip that should be on the bucket list. Don't stay off the island, you will regret it. I think I'm going to check out the Green Parrot Bar webcam right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.