1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Quickie Overnighter in Tunica

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Trip Reports' started by martinr, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martinr

martinr Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Last Friday night, my wife and I went down to Tunica to Horseshoe for the Price is Right Live show. I had gotten tickets from my guy at Horseshoe a few weeks earlier. We didn't want to drive back home after the show. So, I had booked a comp room at Tunica Roadhouse. it's just out one door and across the drive from Horseshoe. The wife is funny about heights in hotels, etc. sometimes and I couldn't depend on Horseshoe having a lower floor non-smoking room. Roadhouse is only 6 floors and we ended up on 5.

Had reservations at Binion's Steakhouse before the show. This was my third time there and it was better than I remembered. I used my Diamond 100.00 Celebration certificate and our meal come out to 103.00! Even had leftovers including dessert that we took back to the room and put in the fridge so we could take it home Saturday.

The Price is Right Live was fun. Neither of us had our names called to participate. I was picked a few years back in Vegas when they had the show at Bally's. Didn't win anything. This time the biggest winner got a trip to Vegas with airfare and Room at Paris. They have the craziest procedures for pre-show registration though. We had to wait in two different lines to get our tickets at the box office and get our name tags and to line up to enter the theater. Seemed really mismanaged. But, they run this show every night in a different town so they must think it's a good system.

No luck on the gambling front. Went to Gold Strike for a short while as well as Horseshoe and Roadhouse. As we were going through Horseshoe after dinner, I had noticed a "carousel" of Triple Cash .50 machines that usually pays off before they get to about 8000.00 on the progressive payout They were up to 8400.00 and I thought about hitting it up later. After the show, we were going past them and damned if it had reset to 5000.00. Just in that length of time somebody had won the progressive...it should have been me!

Had a good stay at Roadhouse. Rooms are good size and they have a sort of gaudy in-room spa tub. The bathrooms are top notch just like some of the nicer ones in Vegas resorts, surprisingly. We had breakfast at the Atrium Café at Gold Strike the next morning and went home. It was a fun quickie overnight getaway.

First Time Staying on the South End. Will I Hear Southern Accents?
  2. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Too bad they never Drew your names! :D

Thanks for the TR about your quick trip!
    Glad to hear you had fun!!!

RICHARD

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I missed you by one day. I spent Saturday night at the Gold Strike for a quick trip. One of these days we are going to have to have a meet up in tunica for all the Tunica regulars on this board.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did that show last year around this time, but couldn't this year (because in vegas for MM). I remember it being a fun show. Glad you had a good time

I Need Spa
  5. martinr

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds good. There are several of us it appears. I've met Tring and JPW there before. Maybe this Spring or Summer.

6. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice report! And dammit. I probably should have asked if anyone was gonna be down there this past weekend...

We were hotel hopping from Saturday to Monday.

And the gf and I did "The Price Is Right" back in Vegas when they had it and she actually got called to bid! Unfortunately she didn't win on her chance to bid and just got a t-shirt.

Kicking off the Trip with Two New Hotels to Us!!!
  7. martinr

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I remember you saying that you usually are in Tunica around the first day of Spring. But, I didn't hear from you with details. How was your visit?

8. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pretty good. Hotel scenario was a bit of a mess thanks to a Bluesville concert and making decisions at the last minute. We didn't fully commit until Friday. And couldn't book two nights Sunday/Monday like I hoped at roadhouse, but Resorts was dumb enough, imo, to give me a free weekday room this month plus $10 FP plus a couple of buffets. So we gave that a shot for Sunday. Reminded me of roadhouse except smaller, no jet tub, crappier TV, and the harrahs bathroom they never remodeled. Buffet was alright, seemed better last time we ate it when @jpw711 was in town with us.

Also checked out Germantown this time. Pretty nice place especially the mall we stopped in, but didn't make it to the Commissary.

I took about a $100 loss, but gf had a couple of good VP hits to come home just above even. Not bad considering how much we played, I felt we low rolled a little less than usual.

Kicking off the Trip with Two New Hotels to Us!!!
  9. lucky13

lucky13 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    lol was just there sunday night .. stayed at gold strike
    I think meeting up is a good idea

10. martinr

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Horseshoe was crazy Friday night on St Patrick's day. Sorry we couldn't get together. You'll have to put the Germantown Commissary on your list next time. Of course, it would take you two hours to eat there (lol)!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. RebelDiceMan

RebelDiceMan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like you had a pretty fun time. Thanks for the report. It is indeed frustrating when a progressive gets hit real soon after you see it and decide to play later.

12. ShepherdDon

ShepherdDon Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounded like a lot of fun.

Thanks for posting.

Don

13. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm all for a tunica meet up! It doesn't take much to talk me into going to Tunica. It's not vegas, but it doesn't have the $400-500 airfare either.

Sounded like a good night there Martin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.