1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How much vacation time you do get / have?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by lsiunsuex, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lsiunsuex

lsiunsuex Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just reading through posts and such and it seams like so many of you takes multiple vacations a year.

Looking at my day job schedule - I have 10 vacation days + the week between Christmas and New Years (not considered vacation - we strait up close (paid))

I burned 3 days in Boston in February for my side business.
    We're taking a week in May for Vegas
    That's 8
    I'll need another 3-5 in October / November for 2 more side job expos in Chicago so I'll need to make these up at the day job.

I really want to take 2 vacations this year. With Vegas in May, was thinking Caribbean in September or October, but time off is hard to come by. I could go to the Caribbean during that week off in December but I hate flying as it is, let alone taking off / landing with ice / snow on the wings of the plane lol

What'd you do? Are you retired? Work for yourself? Do you make up time if you go over? Is the sig other the same or ?

2. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get 37 days a year, 20 days are for block weeks. 2x 1 week blocks and 1x 2 week block. The rest we can put together with days off to get time off like I have just done.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  3. Wittsy

Wittsy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    30 days no restrictions

4. lvchic80

lvchic80 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been with my company 11 years, and I get 224 hours per year(28 days) plus 9 holidays. There is no separate bank for sick time though.. just all rolls into PTO which kinda sucks.

• Like Like x 1
  5. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    27 years on the job. I get 29 days plus 40 hours of sick time. only 6 paid holidays. I could always use more.

6. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get 5 weeks (25 days) a year and work in a department that is staffed 24/7/365. I can work holidays and take "replacement holidays".

7. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get 175 hours per year, plus all federal holidays (I live in DC), and my job generates a decent amount of comp time. You can roll over two full years of time, and after I've been there two years (should I stay that long), I might even have close to the max because of all the comp time. I build my vacations around it...weekend conference that will generate two days of comp time? Take a Thursday-Friday off for a long weekend in <wherever>. A bunch of receptions where I get paid to drink? Sweet, I'll add those hours in until they're like 3 days worth and hit up NYC.

8. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I worked, I owned my own dental practice. I could take off whenever I wanted and people always thought how lucky I was. The reality is my office cost $1,500/day to run. If I took off, for some reason my staff still expected to work and get a paycheck to pay for their own bills. So, taking off cost me $1,500/day. Even if I was sick laying in bed I had to contemplate, "Am I $1,500 worth of sick to stay home?" Needless to say, I got almost no time off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From December 23-January 2.
    And June, July, and most of August...

RICHARD

10. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you break your vacation days down and tie them in with long weekends you could stretch your vacation time. Breaking them up and using two at a time you could get five 5 day vacations in or if you needed a big break at some time use 4 over a whole week and with the starting weekend and the ending weekend you could have three 5 day vacations and then one big 9 day vacation in there.

This year July 4th is a Tuesday, thats a good example of vacation time use:
    - use 1 vacation day on the monday and you get a 4 day mini vacation
    - use 3 days on the wednesday, thursday and friday and get a 6 day vacation
    - use 4 days on the monday, wednesday, thursday and friday and get a 9 day vacation
    - use 9 days, 5 to cover the week before or the week after and 4 to cover the week of, and get a 16 day vacation

And thats pretty much why Las Vegas is always so busy on long weekends - people are maximizing their vacation days to get extra time in.

11. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    20 vacation days but 6 or 7 holidays.

12. LV2GAMBLE

LV2GAMBLE Certified LOW Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Had to do the calculations on this one. I get 9 hours per pay period = 29.25 days, 1 'floating holiday' per year that must be used within the FY, and 4 hours per pay period for sick leave = 13 days, plus 9 paid holidays. So roughly 30+9 paid days off, plus sick days of 13 days, which I try not to use as we can bank them into a some medical fund to be used to pay for insurance once we retire from the institution (state job)

13. Publius

Publius Living the Dream

Trips to Las Vegas:
    15 vacation days, 7 personal days. I like to bank my vacation days though

14. Miller12pack

Miller12pack High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Before my husband retired he got 6 weeks, plus holidays. Plus, opening weekend of deer hunting.

15. Onmyown32

Onmyown32 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whatever I want... hubby is disabled veteran, I have an online business. I can do as many "sneak away" 3-5 days as I want and my customers wouldn't even miss me, longer than that and I have to give them notice of a delay. I even make $$$ while I'm gone. We typically spend about 2-3 months a year traveling

16. Sdebruyne

Sdebruyne Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Been working for the same company for almost 30 years. I now get 5 weeks (25 days), plus 3 personal days. I also get most federal holidays off. If a holiday falls on a Saturday or Sunday, I get an additional floating holiday. I also get up to 12 sick days a year, but I hardly ever use them.

17. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lately I am doing it myself, screw the bosses.

I am working about 6-8 months and save my money. Then take off for 4-6 months. Once the money gets down again get another job. Repeat the process. Right now been off for 1 month and dont need to go back to work until august or so. Will work the winter and then next spring will take my time back off. i dont need alot of money and have zero loyalty to employers and dont mind quitting. might try to get a temp job this time but if I dont, will get one and just leave after i get tired of it. Also dont mind tgetting a new job, attending a week or two of training and quitting. yes, i am that guy.

• Like Like x 1
  18. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get 365 days a year. Worked hard enough for 62 years....

• Like Like x 10
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have my own biz. 2017, so far a 4 day weekend. 2016, one one week vacation:(

Incredibly busy right now, hoping for something in the fall. Nothing this summer:(

20. FYMYAWF

FYMYAWF VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I accrue 5 all-purpose hours every two weeks. That's vacation/sick time. So 26 pay periods that's 130 hours or a little over 16 days. Pretty standard I suppose. 4 Vegas trips a year on average, always over a weekend so I'm using generally 3 vac days per trip, that leaves me another handful of days for random days off or sick days, plus we always have a few extra paid days off around the holidays that I can package together. Thinking about adding a couple days to my annual Xmas trip since we almost always are shut down over Xmas week. Dunno though, I usually hit a wall after the 5th day in Vegas...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.