1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Retirement Countdown

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by fasbman, Mar 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fasbman

fasbman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, one year from today will be my last day working for a paycheck. That will give me enough time to get a successor named and in place with appropriate turnover. I view retirement with mixed emotions. On one hand it will give me time to do things that you can never do when you are working (one thing I have promised myself as a retirement present is a 4 week cruise to Hawaii and Tahiti). On the other hand, it is not easy to walk away from something that has been a way of life for decades. At the end of the day, I remember the saying that "No one on their deathbed ever said that they wished they had spent more time at work". So, I decided to pull the plug while I'm still relatively young (mid 50's) and my health is still reasonably good. Wish me luck!

• Like Like x 7
  2. Fet297

Fet297 113 survivor North Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck with your retirement plans. You will know when the time is right.

I retired two years ago. I too am in my mid 50's. I went back to work three months later as my previous job needed help. I worked there until the end of 2015. Another 3 months passed and I again went back to work, this time part time. I am now considering going back to work full time because, quite frankly, I am bored to death.

My spouse is much younger then I am and plans to work another 8 years. I want to travel more, but since she has good but limited vacation I have to be patient. :( I know, third world problems.

Once again, enjoy the count down and walk away with your health :beer:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. nickle

nickle Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I retired at 53 (17years ago) and have no regrets. I played golf almost every day for the first 6 months until the weather forced me to stop. It was then that I discovered I needed something more to do with my time. I was fortunate and found a part time job that I loved and was able to set my own schedule at it. This gave me some of the structure that my job had always provided and the freedom to do all my choice activities (like visits to Vegas) when I wanted. Enjoy your Trip! Be sure you have a purpose when you get home. Have a great retirement!! Best wishes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congratulations! And enjoy! You worked hard for it. I'm 52 but I'll be working a long time still . . . I am thankful I enjoy my work as I'll be at it for a while.

• Like Like x 1
  5. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey, congratulations, and good luck!

I was thinking of creating a thread on this as I too am close to retirement. My plan is to go out at the end of this year, December 31, 2017. Actually I qualify for retirement at the end of September but I was thinking of making it a clean break by leaving at the end of the year.

Do they have countdown clocks for retirement? I would love to create one for myself so I can see the days count down. Right now T minus 9 months and 17 days. Can't wait to get the heck out of here. If I could leave right now I would go in a second, sick and tired of this place and its politics.

• Like Like x 3
  6. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I retired in February of 2014 after 35 years of service with some mixed emotion but loved every minute of it. In July last year, out of the blue, my company called me and asked me to come back August 1st on a 7- month contract to work on a project. Though I did enjoy the work, I was counting the sleeps the last few weeks until I re-retired on March 3rd. We are celebrating with a Vegas trip March 19th.

I'm also retired young...still am in my opinion lol. I'm 56.....my parents thought they were bringing me to daycare when they dropped me off at the company I worked with lol.

Life is short fasbman....you will be surprised how quickly you settle into a groove. I do recommend setting some "routine" initially to help you settle in.

I'd think twice now before going back on another contract and am definitely appreciating the freedom of retirement even more now.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  7. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @breanna61 - I've seen your vow renewal pics and just no way!! You are way too young looking to even be close to that...so nice to read how you plan to celebrate your new re-retirement!

@fasbman - best wishes on your upcoming early retirement! I would second what others have said - only you know when it is time, and do everything you've ever wanted to do while you've still got good health and youth! Take that cruise, and then take your time finding that perfect balance between leisure time and scheduled activities that best suits your style. I found I needed a lot of structure so I stay super busy enjoying time wth my grandsons and volunteering and hobbies and vacationing...at times I have to remind myself to slow down..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Geogran; you're my new best friend! Whenever that older woman sneaks in front of me and scares the beejezus out of me when I look in the mirror, I'll thank you again!

9. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

fasbman -
    Good luck for you !
    I'm thinking 5 more years til retirement ( pension would be better )-
    And have thought about NOT retiring - til full social security ( 7 yrs from now ).
    However,.........I think about health, now.
    That fine line between quality of life + financial comfort.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I retired at 55 also,my decision was based on a full time opportunity that I couldnt resist. However,11 months later and 9/11 it dried up so I decided to sell the house and move to an adult community and pocket the difference.
    You'd be surprised on how much it costs to be an active retiree,free time= going out and spending money. I have a decent pt racket going so I'm rarely bored .
    We've had to help our kids out over the last few years also ,I envy people who dont have to do that.
    So congrats ,enjoy yourself and dont look back.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    55 for me, nine years ago. Put in my 35 and have no regrets at all.

• Like Like x 1
  12. guapoxxx

guapoxxx High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck fasbman!

Annual Golf Trip
    • Like Like x 1
  13. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Wow, I'm jealous of you Breanna. When I told my family, friends and coworkers about my retirement plans many of them wondered why I would want to retire "early" (I hit 60 this year) and that I would get bored staying at home with "nothing" to do. Many of them have kids so they have to keep working at least until the kids are out of college. Others have big mortgages so have to pay off their bills. I told them that I plan to golf another day a week (so golf 2 days a week), go to the gym another day so will be going 3 to 4 days a week, bowl 1 day a week, although I may join an "old timer" league during the day and basically go walking to add to my exercise.

Actually it seems like the women make better use of their retirement, keeping busy and moving around a lot. Some men I know after retirement just lounge around more and take it easy more but most of the women I know seem to be busy and not enough time in the day for their activities.

For me the other thing is that I have a lot of stuff to do that I want to get started ASAP. I need to clean up my house before it gets to "hoarder" status (I collect a lot of junk and have to learn how to throw things away). Since I will be staying home more I need to install a new a/c since the old one is over 35 years old. I wouldn't mind fixing my bathroom and taking out the tub and putting in a walk in shower, etc. etc. My list goes on and on and I never really had the time to work on them while I was working.

Say, when you were in your last years or few months before retirement do you seem to be more irritable at work and what goes on at work? Now that I made my retirement decision I seem to not handle BS as well as before, get more irritable at what goes on at work and feel like I want to get the heck out of here as soon as I can. Initially I was planning to work another 2 more years and retire at age 62 but lately work has really gotten under my skin, so much that I decided to go at the end of this year. Even then I'm noticing that I have an even shorter fuse and am even considering leaving even earlier when I meet the minimum qualification for retirement (30 years of service). That would be the end of September. I wanted to make a clean break and work till the end of the year but find that work is getting to be a pain in the butt enough to leave 3 months earlier.

14. richardinbc

richardinbc Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Makikiboy, Make your own calendar, big letters "days until I retire" then have numbers underneath that you came rip of in count down style. Be sure to have in a space that is very visible. A friend of mine did this and it gave him great pleasure as it pissed his boss of greatly.

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now that is funny. No, on my extra chair I have these brochures on retirement. The top brochure has the words "THINKING OF RETIRING?" right on it. It is a brochure for workshops to prepare for retirement.

Actually I haven't told my boss about my impending retirement yet but I have a meeting with him in a few minutes and I may tell him then about my plans. Maybe then he might act a little nicer to me but at this stage I don't really care anymore.

16. fasbman

fasbman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Everyone's situation is different and I make no judgment on what works best for a person. In my case, I made my intent, although not the exact date, clear for a couple of years. I decided my exact date a month ago and had both the CFO and CEO OK the date. I am working closely with the person (an extremely bright, capable millennial) who will probably be my successor, to set them up for success. Overall, the Company has been very good to me. However, right now, I just don't have the hunger or energy I had even 5 years ago. My last act of loyalty to both the Company and the people in my department, is to hand the torch to someone who I think will be good to both my Company and the people in my department. Again, that is my current situation and my succession planning. However, I previously worked for a Company where it took a lot of restraint on my part not to say, "take this job and shove it" when I left, so I understand that viewpoint as well.

• Like Like x 1
  17. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with you, everyone's situation is different and what works best is entirely dependent on the person and his situation.

Like you I am also trying to give as much of my knowledge to my fellow coworkers. I don't want to leave them out on a limb when I leave.

• Like Like x 1
  18. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm taking on as much as I can and spiking the IRA and 401k in anticipation!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    at 50-something, if you have enough money and medical insurance that is affordable, I say go for it. I don't plan on working beyond 60, 62 at the most. I should have enough money, it is the insurance that worries me. and when I retire, you will never here me say "bored". not a chance. and when the time comes, to hell with sentiment. I will have no problem walking out the door for the last time and never looking back.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    fasbman congrats! Go out with a smile on your face and no regrets! I agree with others who have eluded to keeping active after retiring no matter what activity that may be. I have 3.5 yrs to go if I can survive layoffs/RIF's (Reduction in Force). Good Luck!

Dead & Co with my son! June 4 or 5th - June 8th
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.