1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

purposely taking a longer flight

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by chef, Mar 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Anybody else do this?
    I had plenty of SWA non-stop options on from Salt Lake City to Vegas, but opted for a trip that went to Burbank first with a change of planes. The price is about the same, but travel time is of course longer.
    Just felt like flying into an airport I've never been before and also checking out some different scenery from the air.
    Layover is relatively short, but I wouldn't have minded something longer that would have enabled me to leave Bob Hope Ariport and explore a bit outside.

2. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Burbank is the hooker plane! Choose your seat wisely.

3. CaptCampion

CaptCampion VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am going from Portland to Vegas, but flying up to Seattle and then down.

It just worked out better that way for the time I wanted to go and the Alaska miles I wanted to use

4. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have done this before, I have taken the San Jose - Las Vegas flight that went through Burbank.

1)It was cheaper
    2)Saved on buying early bird because I got to change seats during the stop
    3)It was only an hour more

5. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sometimes I will try to work out an itinerary that goes from home through Charlotte or Washington D.C. if I've booked that one way as a first class ticket just so I can enjoy the trip a little longer.

Otherwise, get me there as quickly as possible because some of those seats are uncomfortable for more than 4 hours.

6. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With a long flight already from BOS, the only reason I'd book a longer flight would be if the timing was such that I wanted to make sure I had enough time to grab something to eat during a layover. 60 - 90 mins is about good.

For my next trip, in order to get good flight times, I had to book a 50 minute layover in HOU with a plane change going out and a 45 min layover in CMH with no plane change coming back and I'm not thrilled, that's a little too short.

The only time I intentionally did a longer flight was when Virgin had a great price a couple of years ago and I wanted to try them once, so I did BOS -> LAX -> LAS.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  7. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never done that. I don't think I ever would, actually - unless there was some phenomenally amazing kick-ass savings to be had. I try to find the direct no-plane-change route and go with that. Although I do not fear flying, I have a dislike of flying. I find it neither enjoyable nor productive (as I tend to sleep once we get to cruising altitude). At one point in time, flying was reasonably fun and engaging; now it's something to be endured until I get to my destination. I stop flying the split second that the transporter technology gets the kinks worked out.
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never. When going to Vegas I always book the earliest ARRIVAL into Vegas that I can, I do not want to lose any precious time there plus if there are any issues with the plane, if I am on the earlier flights there is a good chance I can get on a new flight.

Coming back I don't care where it takes me as long as I am coming home but the last few trips I have had non-stops as those were the cheapest.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Carol1113

Carol1113 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Where we are in NC there aren't any non stops to Vegas--we usually take Delta so it is with a connection in Atlanta.
    But a few years ago I found flights that had the 777 on the route and as I was upgrading to first class I decided since I really wanted to fly on a 777 (this is the one you have almost your own little compartment and the seats lay flat) I would do it.
    So it was from Asheville to Atlanta-Atlanta to LA(THIS WAS THE 777 FLIGHT) then LA to Vegas---it added about 3 hrs to the time but it was worth it for the experience.
    Would I do it again-no I don't think so but I am glad I did it the one time.

• Like Like x 1
  10. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nope!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I hear Burbank it reminds me of the TV show Laugh In. I have thought of doing an extended layover such as land in the late afternoon and fly out 24 hours later, but never did it.

IMG_2677.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  12. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh gosh...more power to ya. My home airport is Reno and there are fewer and fewer direct flights to anywhere. I often have to fly to Las Vegas or Phoenix to get to Seattle, Portland or Boise!!! What used to be a simple 1+ hour flight north, now is 5+ hours... hell... last week, I flew an hour south to Vegas had a 90 minute layover only to fly an hour north again (right over Reno) on my way on up to Seattle!!! 3 1/2 hours and I was right back where I started... UGHHHH...

Occasionally, I'm fortunate enough to get a flight that has a stop, but no plane change... that's second best to a direct flight.

13. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh my God, NEVER! Get me there non-stop in the quickest amount of time. If I want to see different scenery, I'll drive!

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The flight from Houston to Vegas is about 2:30-2:45 normally and in all my trips except one I've taken the nonstop. Last year for some reason on one trip the nonstops were stupid expensive and I saved like $300 by connecting through LAX.

That's the only time I've ever connected going to Vegas.

As an aside LAX was a dump.

15. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This past Thursday I flew to Tucson from Reno and had to stop at LAX, no plane change, some people get off and some new ones get on. I thought this would be great... pushed back from the gate at the assigned 8:30 a.m.... we finally lifted-off at about 9:45 a.m.!!! UGHHHH... so many planes there, we just got in the back of a big-ass line awaiting our turn!!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. spicole

spicole No shirt, no shoes... NO DICE!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Chef - I have done it but only if it meant saving some major money. I will typically spend a bit more to ensure a direct flight.

I was on a solo trip last spring and I booked a return flight on Southwest from LAS to HOU that stopped in Oklahoma City. In a strange twist there was no plane change but everyone had to de-plane and re-board because it was a terminating flight (I believe). Overall it added something like 50 minutes over a direct flight for a significantly cheaper fare.

A couple of years ago a buddy of mine waited too long to book flights for spring break. His wife booked flights from Denver to Houston... that connected in Newark. Woof!

Chuck - this will give you time to get a drink (or even some grub) at Pappadeaux! During the afternoons at HOU they usually have a couple of big ice chests scattered throughout the airport where you can conveniently grab a bottle of beer while waiting for your flight. Overall it is a decent airport to kill a short layover.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  17. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep! Was there any weather that caused them to stack up?

SFO is notorious for weather issues namely fog. I try to avoid it as much as I can which is tough since in fly United

18. vetsen

vetsen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did this once when I needed one more segment for an airline tier at the end of the year. Otherwise, no way, my time is valuable.

19. Stephiede1975

Stephiede1975 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not on purpose but coming from Virginia I have to connect somewhere, no direct flights for me. I do like having a little time between connections. Don't like running from gate to gate. If I have enough time, I'll find the USO and go hang out in there for snacks/soda until my flight.

Spring Trip!
    Spring Trip!
  20. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm often on the SW flight from denver to vegas, one time I remember upon arriving in vegas an announcement that those people continuing on to baltimore should stay seated, i thought "how horrible to go 800 miles out of the way".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.