1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

So, everyone seems to hate cab drivers, but....

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by kodidog, Mar 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kodidog

kodidog Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ...From time to time over the years we have had an exceptionally good one...polite, clean car, honest and pleasant.

Pretty sure there must be a few still out there, and I am surprised that there is not somewhere for people to share information on them....cell-numbers etc, so others can book them specifically when they are in town.

Or IS there a review site like that, and I just have never heard of/seen it?

Another possibility I suppose, is that people guard the info with their lives and use these drivers when they frequent Vegas, and give the info to personal friends only, and won't share it with you and I, LOL. Just think, if they wanted their special driver, and they had become so popular, that they ended up getting stuck with a real dud (and we've had more of them than I can count.)

2. simundo26

simundo26 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    its just easier for the majority of people to use lyft and uber, very rarely do you see posts here of someone talking about how good their cab driver was, your more likely to get ripped off

3. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But there are people who don't have the internet on their phone and still use cabs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sure, there's still good ones out there, and it's the "few" that give the rest a bad name. But, why take that chance? You can get a cheaper ride with more peace of mind from Uber/Lyft. And, if they do something, you just have to email them, and it's normally fixed quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  5. kodidog

kodidog Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, that's the problem. (I LOVED using Lyft on my last trip with Blonde4ever at Halloween.) No phone with internet for me. I got a throw away last trip, and carried a 10" tablet around to try to catch Wifi in free places. It was a two man (well two gal) job, LOL.

If I want do that again, I have to pay about $60 to re-connect the phone (I'm in Canada) and that is about the cost of the two cab rides I know that I will be taking, from Downtown to Paris and then back Downtown a few days later. Would have liked to hook up with a reliable cabbie, and use them both ways...sigh.

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  7. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a gripe zone here with some. What isn't derided, over and over again?

8. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's my friend Smitty's old nickname! (Explanation not fit for this thread!)

A neighboring "city" (really just a large town) has one cab with the owner/driver being one of the nicest fellows I've ever met.
    I've used his services numerous times to get to and fro places when the Alpertmobile has been in the shop.

Uber is coming to a nearby medium-sized city.
    I wonder how much that will affect the cab's business in our area.

RICHARD

9. hard6

hard6 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just saying, but wouldn't you still have to use a phone to call that special cabbie?

10. kodidog

kodidog Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sure will, but it will still end up much cheaper....because on top of the phone reinstatement, there is the Uber or Lyft cost each way....so a $1 phone call and cab still would come out on the better side!:) And I don't have to carry an extra bag with me for the dang tablet.

11. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, not phone number but there were several that I followed on twitter and they would give their numbers out to those in need of rides. I used one, we arranged it all via twitter and it worked out well. Now, I just will use Uber/Lyft.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are tons of good cab drivers. And there are crap Uber/Lyft drivers.

But the platforms not only drive down costs, simplify hailing and payment, but they make resolving an issue with a bad apple easier.

13. PTC Larry

PTC Larry Off We Go

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I quit using cabs in Vegas years ago because of their attitude and ridiculous charges for short runs. Uber/Lyft/limos/shuttles/public trans are all better than LV cabs. So why would anyone use them unless it was the only way to get from one point to another which it isn't anymore, maybe just easier and habit.

14. UTHguy

UTHguy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last year I tried using a cab again. My phone was acting up and I couldn't get to my Uber/Lyft apps. So I got in the taxi line at LAS. Here's my experience.
    • The guy made a point of taking a route near the site of the Presidential Debates, guaranteeing to run up the fare.
    • Then he took me to Harrah's, not Paris. (Yes, I made him repeat it back to me, but he said he got confused.)
    • Then he wanted to charge me for the re-route.
    • Then he got really loud and upset because I didn't tip him.
    Sorry the HA is just too high to gamble on cabs in LV ever again.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I still use cabs sometimes and I agree there are of course good cab drivers still out there. Sometimes it is just faster for me to go to the front of a hotel and hop into a cab, especially if I'm going say from Encore to Caesars. If I'm going a longer distance, like mid-strip to say downtown, then I'd be more apt to use Lyft given the price differential.

16. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief Bottle Washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A buddy of mine in town for two weeks booked a ride from The Cannery to Bellagio this morning. Said the driver was high as a kite and had to stop and fuel up when buddy told him his tank said "two miles to empty". I told my friend to go inside and buy the driver a big bag of chips as I'm sure he had the munchies:feedme:

17. kodidog

kodidog Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmmmm, thinking that we might be able to drag the luggage and walk from MSS to Paris in about 4 hours....just a bit worried about passing thru some of the more sketchy areas. :wink2:

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess I have run good on cabs. Part of it is I tell them which way I want them to go and on the rare occasion I encountered someone trying to long haul I spoke up and said I knew what was up and I'd be paying whatever the normal fare should've been. If they got angry about being caught I wouldn't pay them any mind.

When I arrive I always have one of the couple cabbies I follow on Twitter pick me up. It gives them some biz and I tip well since I enjoy their stories on Twitter.

I prefer the option to walk outside and hop in a car and go.

But to each their own.

• Like Like x 1
  19. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm planning on taking a taxi and if he takes the tunnel to the Rio,I'm fine with it.I hate the traffic and want to get there asap..And just give him the appropriate fare and call him out for taking the tunnel.
    I've done it before..I really do not want to F around with the phone app and gps and calls/texts.Would think about it if going to the Southpoint but not the Rio.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Kobra2848

Kobra2848 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never had an issue on any cab ride on any of my trips to Vegas but on our last trip I used Lyft for the first time and it was great. It is a little of a walk to/from the pickup/drop off point at Planet Hollywood.

Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.