1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

proper tipping @ xs?

Discussion in 'Vegas Nightlife' started by random512, Mar 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. random512

random512 Low-Roller

What would you recommend as proper tipping @ XS? For example, what should I tip the bartender when purchasing 1 drink ($17 base price) or 2 drinks ($34 base price)?

2. simundo26

simundo26 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i throw 5 for 2 drinks 2 bucks if just 1

3. random512

random512 Low-Roller

Why does the second drink get an extra dollar tip?

4. Its Only Money

Its Only Money VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not a club guy, nor a drinker, but I'm just giving the bartender a $20 per drink. That assumes that the total drink cost is 17 with tax, if tax takes it over 18, I'd probably go to $21.

5. Jaygee77

Jaygee77 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you have to ask that question, why are you buying a $17 drink in the first place? At that point, the extra dollar isn't the deal breaker.

You strike me as a very analytical guy, which is totally fine. I can be the same way. Sometimes I just have to remind myself that what I'm analyzing is pretty negligible.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Osceola

Osceola Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same as anywhere else, roughly 15-20% of the tab. So, probably $3 for one drink and $6 for two.

7. random512

random512 Low-Roller

I don't think xs charges tax on the drink. I haven't been a serious clubber for about 10 years. 10 years ago, a $2 tip per drink was a solid standard tip for a walk up bar at a club.

I'm guessing that this is still the case at most clubs in most cities. After all you're paying $2 for < 2 minutes work so >$1/minute which is very fair.

However, XS drinks are priced at a premium over the typical drink at a walk up bar so I could see how a bartender would expect a premium tip.

* If a typical drink at a walk up bar is priced at $10 then a $2 tip would represent 20%.
    * A 20% tip on a $14 drink would be $2.80
    * A 20% tip on a $17 drink @ XS would be $3.40

Therefore I think bartenders @ XS would expect a grownup to tip at least $3 b/c you're at a premium club paying for drinks priced at a premium. A $2 tip would be perceived as lowball.

Since the total price for 2 drinks @ XS is the cost of a meal I could see how a bartender could expect a tip to be the equivalent of the minimum tip that one would pay for a meal. In this case any tip less than $5 would be perceived as lowball.

Also, since you're not doubling their work with 2 drinks (only one customer request, only one cash transaction) I could see how a $5 tip for 2 drinks would pass muster. I only ask b/c some bartenders seemed to be off-put by a $2 tip per drink based on their body language. So I think $3 tip for 1 drink, $5 tip for 2 drinks seems to be the sweet spot @ xs.

8. abraxis

abraxis Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This makes going to the club sound so much more complicated than it should be lol. Also, it appears that you've come full circle, as it were, and answered your own question to your satisfaction.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Excellent point. Closing this thread.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. random512

random512 Low-Roller

It occurred to me tonight that the logical way to pay for drinks @ XS is with a $20 bill per drink. There would not be an expectation to pay more than this because a $20 bill meets the minimum tip expectation and is a solid bill.

This also makes things super easy on the bartenders because they don't need to process a credit card or make change. A proper XS gent shouldn't need to think twice about dropping a couple 20's on drinks for him and his lady interest.

The drinks are somewhat small so expect a max of 5 drinks pp over the course of the night. So just budget $200 for drinks for a night out @ XS and don't think twice about it.

11. HotDamn

HotDamn Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dude...

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly why I don't go to clubs in Las Vegas . . . . . .

• Like Like x 1
  13. random512

random512 Low-Roller

I started a thread last year about tipping for drinks at xs. my conclusion was that the sweet spot is to pay for drinks with a $20 bill.

I went to surrender tonight and the bartendress told me my drink was $17 and I gave her a $20 bill. She gave me change and I left her $2. Next time I went up to the bar she walked away from me like "whatever." I ordered a drink from a different bartendress and gave her a $20 bill and told her to keep the change and she was like "thank you so much!"

So this confirms my theory that @ xs/surrender the sweet spot is to pay with a $20 bill.

14. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Both should appreciate the tip, but do get how the second girl would appreciate not having to make a return trip with change. Provided they are busy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I generally round up on drinks. To me, there's no difference between $17 and $20.

'Cause once per annum is insufficient...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. simundo26

simundo26 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    at ebc i usally tipped 2 dollar on a beer, and when theres a line the bartender just waves me over, as a guy i seem to find that if your server is male and yout tip well they tend to look after you a lot more, the girls just relie on their big titts for tips

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Rookies11

Rookies11 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    NEVER bought a drink in Vegas, so I wouldn't know. :beer:

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.