1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Flying with kids

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ItsVegasTime, Feb 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ItsVegasTime

ItsVegasTime Vegas Addict

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've flown a ton.. but never with my kids.

I'll be flying into Phoenix (From Seattle) alone with 2 of my kids soon, ages (will have just turned) 7 and 13. We are on SWA.

They obviously don't have any forms of ID. My 13 year old has a school ID card but thats it. Do they just get to go through security without showing any form of ID or do I have to pack a birth certificate or anything? When its my turn to get to the TSA person who checks ID's do I just say these of my kids and they are traveling with me? My 13 year old easily looks older since she is 5'8" tall so I'm worried about getting hassled there.

I assume their ages are too old to use a family line in security (if there is one), from what I've read those seem to apply only for families with kids in strollers?

If we do go through a regular security line are kids expected to use the full body scanners or are they pulled through the regular metal detector? From what I read online my littlest one (7) can keep his shoes and stuff on?

I paid for early bird on SWA so I know we will be in an early boarding group and should have no problem sitting all together.

I'm sure I'm worried about things that wont be an issue. People travel with kids every day! But since I've never done it with MY kids I'm nervous!

2. Stephiede1975

Stephiede1975 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I travel with my son, he is 13. You kids just need to have their own boarding passes ready to be scanned and no id is required. Just let the tsa know you are family and you all usually go up there together. So far we have had friendly tsa and they seem to make my son at ease when going through the screening. He has traveled since he was 3 so I think he knows the routine by now.

Spring Trip!
    Spring Trip!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MTMONGO

MTMONGO High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would take copies of their birth certificates. Just in case.

4. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They are not needed. If you do take them, do copies, not originals that you have to replace if lost.

Again, they are not needed. Real answers at TSA Website. https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

5. BostonJP

BostonJP Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always take photocopies of birth certificates for my kids but I've never once needed them.

6. wormhole

wormhole VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have only read of one incident of TSA questioning a child's age (it was on Flyertalk.com). It was a 13 yo girl who looked over 18. TSA did let her pass. but not without balking and suggesting she get a state ID card. They were told her home state did not issue them for someone that young and they said nothing more about it.

7. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When travelling with our minions we've found the TSA to do their best to keep it easy for the kiddos and they try to add humor to ease the wait/process.
    Junior TSA badge stickers for the kids if they want them. (I usually get one too...Still a kid at heart! :))

An example is an employee at the security line pointing at me and asking the kids, "Is this weird-looking fellow with you?" etc.
    The minions still talk and laugh about that one.

I'm just thankful they replied, "Yes, he's our weirdo!" :D

RICHARD

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Fligster

Fligster VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never had problems with our now 12 year old.

Never had ID at airport for him and they always had him and one parent go through metal detector rather than scanner. He even started using the AA application on his phone for his boarding pass.

9. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't forget the Benadryl. ;)

10. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Or the Valium. It would be good if they could put the kids in the checked baggage.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Having been there years ago, I'd much rather be the one in the checked baggage so I wouldn't have to do the walk of shame off the plane :)

Seriously to the OP - @ItsVegasTime - in addition to all the good tips above, yawning, chewing gum, and absolutely wearing earplugs/buds just before descent have been life savers for our kids and grandkids - that cabin pressure is rough on the younger kiddo's as in screaming pain...and Benadyl does help if the Pediatrition approves.
    And TSA has been very nice with the grandkids. ( while not necessary, having a screenshot or photo of their birth certificates on your phone might ease some of your concern).

Hope you and the kids have a great flying experience!!

12. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is that for the kids, or the parents?

13. PsyDoc

PsyDoc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would do that in a heartbeat...!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.