1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

TSA Precheck and Mobile Boarding Passes

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by MiDenny, Feb 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MiDenny

MiDenny Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has anyone had trouble at McCarran (or anywhere else) with TSA Precheck while using a mobile boarding pass? We ran into some issues yesterday while catching our flight home.

We didn't need to check any bags and went directly to the security check point. Once there, we were told that "there is no precheck when you use mobile boarding passes". The precheck logo was clearly displayed on the boarding pass that was generated by the Delta app. They then directed us to the line for the full body scanner and told take our tablets (not laptops) out of our bags as well.

Seems minor in the grand scheme of things, but when you pay for that service and they don't deliver, it is a little frustrating. Without precheck, I would normally pack and even dress strategically to get through quickly. I'd already have my belt off, easy shoes for off and on, empty pockets etc. Never would have expected to have to dig out the tablets.

All of that can be dealt with of course. But while I was waiting in line to get through the full body scanner, they pulled 3 people that weren't in the precheck line through the regular metal detector and on their way because the line was getting a little long.

First world problems, right? I know....but I thought it would be worth posting. If you have a chance to hit a kiosk to get a printed boarding pass, it may be worth your time. Not sure if that is actual policy at LAS, or if someone was just making it up as they went along. Cheers!

2. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never had a problem. The only problem was when TSA Precheck was closed (early morning) and I was routed to the "regular" line.

3. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never had or heard of a problem using mobile boarding passes. In fact, the scanners at TSA checkpoints are setup to accommodate phones. And from the look of things, I'd guess that over half the folks in the PreCheck lines use their phones, as well. It sounds like someone was having their first day on the job. Nonetheless, I always use a kiosk at the airport to print a paper boarding pass just in case the phone decides act up or die.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Its Only Money

Its Only Money VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am always TSA pre and always use a mobile boarding pass. I've never had a problem anywhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MTMONGO

MTMONGO High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never had a problem @ LAS.

6. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I echo all of the above. Always mobile, always pre-check.

You might have just caught the wrong guy on the wrong day.

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
  7. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I swear I had no issues with Southwest and McCarran.

8. shellieshoe

shellieshoe Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That happened to us too at LAS. We had an early flight also.

9. tfcoach72

tfcoach72 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, sounds like you got a newbee agent----but I too, always get a hard copy of boarding pass in case the phone acts up----
    I have also had TSA precheck that was slower than normal security line, but still like the perks for TSA precheck----

Just a getaway! On the Gulf Coast—
  10. MiDenny

MiDenny Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just a quick follow up. I sent an email through their system with some comments and questions. They actually sent a prompt, professional reply. The lady basically explained what was likely a combination of a mistake and some stepped-up security measures that day. She acknowledged that they could have given us notice to get a printed boarding pass and apologized for the inconvenience. She also suggested as standard procedure, as some of you have, getting a printed boarding pass. Couldn't ask for more and I'm pleasantly surprised at the reply. Thanks for the input from all....

11. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I see folks using the phone thing often and most have no problem. Once in awhile they do and when you do, it can be a real pain. I find it so easy to either print at home or grab from a kiosk at the airport. (and I love tech stuff...even turn on our oven with Alexa)

12. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Long story short. My wallet was lifted in Dallas. Trying to check-in for our return flight, I was told to stand next to the TSA desk for Pre-check. Anyway, i stood there for at least 10 minutes waiting for a TSA supervisor. My guess is that 90% of the people that went by me used their phone to check in. A couple had some alignment issues with the phone, but most breezed right through. I commented to the agent that I felt out of touch with all the phone check-ins. He was in his 30s and said he always prints a boarding pass.

13. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hate to "kill a tree", but I always have a paper boarding pass as a backup . . . .

14. Joejoejackson

Joejoejackson The Max Bet King

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No prob ever..Love using mobile app

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.