1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The Good/Bad for 10ish {PM} check-in ?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by GA Redneck, Feb 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GA Redneck

GA Redneck Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looking at a SW flight getting in around 10PM on a Thursday night and would possibly be staying at the Cosmo. Just wondering what I should expect for getting in that late? Such as Uber/Lyft getting there and also checking in that time of night? Would be our first time if we decide to book that flight. Would there be any chance of getting a room upgrade with the $20 sandwich checking-in that late?

VEGAS BABY!
  2. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe that this weekend is a busy one. the upgrade may be iffy, but always worth a try.

3. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    By the time you get to the front desk it will be around 10:30 or 11 pm so it may be hard to get an upgrade. Still it is possible, they sometimes "save" some good rooms for the choice customers and by then they are just looking to fill the rooms so you may luck out in it.

On the other hand, I've checked in late and they had a limited supply of rooms available so sometimes I get the "worst" rooms (near elevator or near noisy areas like the alleyways with the dump trucks making noise early in the morning.

I also think it depends if there is anything going on the day you check in. If there is a convention that day or the next day then the upgrades may be gone by 10 pm. if nothing going on then you may have a chance that the hotel isn't sold out so good rooms might still be available.

I would recommend calling the hotel and telling them that you will be arriving at 10:30pm so they don't give away your room. You can also ask for any special room at that time (high floor, or facing a certain direction or anything special you want). That way at least you can get a decent room if the $20 sandwich doesn't work.

4. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    agree... it always a good idea to call ahead for late arrival. if the property is near capacity, it can turn ugly!

5. GA Redneck

GA Redneck Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the replies! Also I should have mentioned this will be for mid April!

VEGAS BABY!
  6. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can imagine the check in staff there must hear all day long : Can I get a room that faces the fountains? LOL!

Okay, getting serious. Are you on a comp? Been there before? How many nights? If you are staying the weekend, then the rooms reserved for Fri and Sat would have a serious impact on what they could even POSSIBLY upgrade you to.

7. GA Redneck

GA Redneck Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nostresshere, no comp. Yes stayed at Cosmo last March. 4 nights Thursday-Monday. Thanks for your help!

VEGAS BABY!
  8. pleasemum

pleasemum High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Arrived late (11ish) on a Saturday night in January (mind you I don't think it was a busy time of year). We were upgraded to a wraparound.

Gold Level Card may have had something to do with it - not sure. We did have a room preference on file that I don't think was available "terrace studio in the east tower fountain view". Check in clerk asked if we would take a Wraparound - we said sure - no questions. It was not fountain view but strip view.

Late arrival for us has worked out to our advantage on more than one occasion.

9. FYMYAWF

FYMYAWF VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmm - by that logic, I wonder if I should call ahead for my late arrival (around 10p) coming up at Paris (Burgundy Eiffel View) or take a chance on getting upgraded into a better room...would they be able to downgrade me to a lesser room if they gave mine away since I'm arriving so late? I know room types aren't technically "guaranteed".

10. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had 50/50 success rate with being upgraded due to late arrival.
    One time I got lucky and was upgraded to a 2 BR Suite.
    Many times I've had to settle for a downgraded room and change rooms the next morning.

11. pleasemum

pleasemum High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a crap shoot. Arriving late and being downgraded happens to people. I have not experienced it myself. I suppose it's not a big deal since it's late - you just move in the morning like others have stated.

12. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We got downgraded in november at CP. due to a delayed flight we got in @11 on a Thursday night.

There was a look of horror on the face of the check in girl at diamond checkin when we arrived with our reservation She had to leave and check around for a room.

We were given options of different hotel or changing roomsnext day. We ended up with a standard forum room that was fine for us and we didn't want to change for the two nights we were there.

13. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

If I get in late I always call ahead weeks in advance and have them note it on my reservation, especially when I want a specific room. If you don't specify then it is a crap shoot whether they will give you a room type you request at check in.

Case in point, when I stayed at MSS and arrived late one time I didn't specify a room type or side of the building I wanted to stay in. Clerk gave me the north facing room, facing the freeway (noisy and uncomfortable). When I asked she said that the rooms on the south side were all taken, none were available (I didn't specify it on my reservation). The next time I requested a south facing room when I made my reservation. When I got there the clerk initially said there were no rooms available but when I told him that I requested a south facing room he checked the reservation and "miraculously" found a south facing room for me.

Of course there is no guarantee when you arrive late that your requested room type is available but if you put it in your reservation at least there is a chance that you will get what you requested, if available. From there you can try the sandwich trick to try for an upgrade.

14. GA Redneck

GA Redneck Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok so we booked the Cosmo and won't be getting to the room until 10:30pm so should we call and check-in around 3:00 or 4:00 pm and just pick up our keys when we arrive so we get our room we reserved on a decent floor and location as in towers?

VEGAS BABY!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.