1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

First class for the first time

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by ItsVegasTime, Feb 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ItsVegasTime

ItsVegasTime Vegas Addict

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been to Vegas 16 times, trip 17 coming up. I've also flown several other times to other locations, but I've only ever flown coach, more often than not on Southwest (though sometimes Alaska). While we don't mind splurging on hotels and food and entertainment for some reason flights we always try to do cheaply.

For my upcoming trip we decided to splurge (its my birthday weekend) we booked first class round trip. I know its not THAT much different, and to some not a big deal but I'm still excited. We only have a short flight from Washington (about 2.5 hours), so its just never really been worth the extra cost. But this time we decided what the heck, why not.

We are flying Delta this time.
    For those who fly first class often- any tips? We get to use special (shorter) lines at the airport and all that fun stuff, right? Does this just apply to check in, or security also?

2. xraykimber

xraykimber Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Happy Birthday!! It is hard to fly coach again after experiencing first class. You will be spoiled!

• Like Like x 1
  3. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know about your home airport, but there are First Class security lines at McCarran.

And, yes, it is hard to go back to coach after having flown in First Class. I try to fly First Class out to Vegas every trip now as I enjoy the larger seats, free booze, and attentive service. Especially on a longer flight from the East coast.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Imperial_Palace_King

Imperial_Palace_King High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You get to board first or almost first. Sometimes they have better or different alcohols/beers/wine available in first class. Doubt they will serve any food on a flight that short but maybe. Luggage should get priority.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ItsVegasTime

ItsVegasTime Vegas Addict

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Alcohol is complimentary in first class, correct? Just one or can you get a 2nd (or 3rd lol)?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had 7 one trip :ssst:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Happy Birthday, and congratulations!!!! I've never flown first class and absolutely think you should be excited!

Heck, if we're going to splurge and NOT enjoy it/get excited, why splurge? Have a blast, and I hope you have an epic birthday!

8. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've flown on Spirit airlines my last 5 Vegas trips. Every time was in the big front seat. It's like a first class seat on any domestic flight sans the meal and service. It on 2 seats per row and plenty of legroom. For me it would be hard to go back to a regular seat. I did get a first class upgrade on USair about 10 years ago. Loved it. But would I pay the extra money for personally, probably not. I would rather use that money for a nicer room. But first class from the east coast is usually triple the cost.

9. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same as OP here. 99.9% of the time we fly SWA and the emphasis is always on price. The thinking being that the flying bus experience is generally the same on any carrier (we are exceptionally low maintenance when it comes to flying), so why pay more? Then again, we don't fly nearly as often as we used to, but given what flying has become...paying for an upgrade is understandable.

While my first class experience has always been positive, the only perk I can honestly say that made an impression was the extra room and larger seats (comfort). I got upgraded on transcontinental flights twice: Tokyo to San Francisco and Munich to Washington. As those were long haul flights it was sooooo nice to be up front. Coming back from DC, I paid for the upgrade. I was bone tired from a forty-eight hour schedule, so I just boarded and nodded out immediately.

IIRC one interesting thing, is the offer of a cocktail whilst we, in upper crust class, sit idly by watching the huddled masses yearning for overhead storage shuffle by. It doesn't take that long to board, but I s'pose it's also perk.

10. UTHguy

UTHguy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Long time Delta flyer. What you get:
    • Board right after people needing assistance/extra time and people traveling with small children
    • Seating will be 2-2 or 2-2-2 depending on the size plane
    • Bigger seat, more recline, more legroom
    • First shot at overhead storage
    • Water at your seat when you board
    • Blanket and Pillow at your seat
    • PDB - Pre Departure Beverage including alcohol. Refill if there is time.
    • Flight Attendant will offer to hang up your coat
    • Easy access to the forward lav
    • After you hit cruising altitude, more drinks. As long as you are well behaved they will serve you refills. (Drinks in real glasses)
    • Meal on longer flights (3+ hours). Snack basket on shorter ones.
    • Free entertainment and earbuds.
    • At least one FA dedicated to service for FC.
    • If you ring your call button, an FA will answer it in short order.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. sam_marques

sam_marques Vegas Vlogs Youtube / TeamClareVlogs

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Happy Birthday, Enjoy!!!

12. bribhoy

bribhoy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you want to know what your seating experience will be, and which seats you should try to have allocated, I recommend www.seatguru.com where you should be able to see the seat map for your flight. I'm in the UK and travel internationally on business a lot. This puts me in the fortunate position of earning lots of frequent flyer points. The last couple of years, I've used them to get BA Club Class flights to Vegas. For an 11 hour flight, I definitely think the extra space is worth splurging on. The only issue is that I'm in no condition to rent a car on arrival, thanks to the copious quantities of free booze. Other perks are lounges in both London and Vegas, priority seat selection, priority security, priority boarding, and priority disembarking. The disembarking part is sometimes missed as a perk but I think it's really valuable as we get to immigration quickly and don't have to wait in an enormous queue to get out and get to the hotel.

It's a great treat - have a great birthday.

13. hard6

hard6 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree once you've flown first class, it's hard to go back to coach. I fly to Vegas on Hawaiian airlines and that a five hour flight. I normally flight coach going, first class coming back. If I take the LAS - SFO - OGG, that flight has the lay flat seats that go completely flat and I'm out the entire flight except for meals.

14. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I fly I always try to say something a little funny or odd to keep those in first class on their toes.

A few years ago on the way to FL on Delta as the line to board was paused in the first class section I told my bride in a little-bit-louder-than-normal voice

"Honey, I sure hope I'm not bothered for autographs the whole flight this time. If people would just wait until we get to baggage claim, we'll have plenty of time there, as usual." :cool:

I'm considering going to the portrait center to get a few head shots printed up before my next Delta flight!
    Just sign a few as we're entering the plane and hand a few out...

Our last handful of flights have been on Spirit though.
    On Spirit there's no-class. Or maybe the big front seats are zero class and everyone else is in negative first class.

RICHARD

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never flown 1st on Delta, but with American, United/Continental, National & Virgin:
    1. You board ahead of most.
    2. Once you're in, you're offered a cocktail while waiting on the tarmac... don't waste it by ordering water or juice!
    3. All of your cocktails/beer/wine are comped...and in an actual glass! No pouring or mixing necessary either!
    4. Also - you'll save on luggage fees...don't do carry-ons, as first class includes 2 free checked bags per ticket.
    5. When you add up just the drinks (let's say you have 5) and luggage, that's $60 saved off of your higher fare right there.
    6. At McCarran, you go through the TSA Pre-Check/First Class line...which is always considerably shorter. (Depending on your home airport, they may have something similar.)
    7. At baggage claim, your bags will almost certainly be among the first to come out, so don't dawdle!
    8. Your small first class section will have it's own flight attendant...which means drinks & food get to you very quickly.
    9. Delta may not do this, but the others will bring you a hot towel after your meal...a meal with a real plate and metal utensils!
    10. If you're wearing a sport-jacket/blazer, the FA will likely ask if you'd like her to hang it up for you in the First Class 'closet'.
    11. And, of course, your seats will be far more comfortable than anything could ever be in coach! No middle seat & no battles over "shared" arm-rests.
    Flying out of DFW/Love Field, many first class fares are very reasonable compared to coach... but I must admit that I rarely pay for airfare, using FF miles instead (or pay the $100-$150 24-hour upgrade fee for First). But the most recent time I paid for First was on Virgin...and it was about $500 round-trip versus $300 for coach.
    So - $100 more each way, but when you back out savings on luggage fees & drinks? It's effectively only $40 more each way...the better seat alone is worth that!

Annual Spring Trip!
    • Like Like x 2
  16. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Long time Delta flyer -often in first.

You do board first. I think you get free bags - don't know as we never pay for bags anyways.

Most of the time, you will get a drink while on the ground. Not always - depends on the FA.
    Yes, you will get unlimited free drinks while flying. They will pass around a snack basket vs just throwing peanuts at you.
    You will NOT get access to the Delta lounge with a domestic first class ticket.
    Your luggage should be first off...not always.

... pretty much what an earlier poster shared that I missed before I typed this

17. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    HBD! I flew First Class from Vegas to BWI once(American) and, although it was great, it wasn't worth the money. I had waited too long and SW pricing was high enough that FC on American wasn't outrageous anymore! I also noticed it was quite a bit less coming back than going out, that's why I only booked the return trip. But, hey, it IS your BD- you SHOULD splurge and I know you'll enjoy the First Class Service!

18. Basil

Basil VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I save my miles from all my business travel to fly first class on my Vegas trip. Great way to start the trip

I fly American, so may be slightly different, but a few things that come to mind:

Use the first class/preferred lines for everything. Check in, TSA(unless you have pre-check I try to still use precheck unless the first class line is shorter).

If you check a bag, then the bag should get a priority tag to get unloaded first. Make sure the add the tag before you walk away. I've had them forget before.

Also, check to see if there's a meal on your flight. 2:30 is kind of in between (for AA, 2 hours gets snacks, 3 hours get a meal, and in between depends on the flight). If there is a meal, then you should pre select it to make sure you get your choice (through the airline website). You can google images of the options which may help you choose.

Enjoy yourself. The service and number of drinks is very flight attendant dependent, but if you're friendly to them, you won't have an issue getting drinks.

19. Junkyard Hog

Junkyard Hog High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They got me so drunk in first class one time I went the wrong way to baggage claim. I wound up in some part of the airport I've never been and I couldn't get back to baggage claim. I had to go outside and get a taxi to drive me out of the airport and back around to get back in to baggage claim. I had to go to lost and found to get my luggage.

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. Its Only Money

Its Only Money VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ThatGuy nailed it. The priority luggage is nice too. Luggage has been on the carrousel before I got there the past few times I've flown into Vegas.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.