1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Reading old Year Books!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by mdee, Feb 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While doing some cleaning I got distracted by my old Year Books. There's some Crazy stuff in there!

I don't remember 99% of the people who left comments but all I will say is; I'm surprised I survived
    the 70's and the 80's! Wild times back then.

I almost want to throw them away but there's so much incriminating evidence that they would need
    to be redacted first! Haha!

When was the last time you read yours?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Joejoejackson

Joejoejackson The Max Bet King

Trips to Las Vegas:
    30 years ago ..Found it in garage looked at it and never saw it again I think it got thrown out with all the collection of time-life books

Oh well

3. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mine is full of comments like "drugs are the way" and 'enjoyed getting high ", etc, but none of us did drugs, we just thought it was funny writing stuff like that. Anyone reading mine would think i was a total druggie.:D

4. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never had yearbooks growing up, class rings, letter jacket, etc.
    Dad tucked all my farm earnings into an account for college and then handed the savings passbook over to me on the day of my high school graduation.
    Glad my Dad did, too!

Paid cash money for everything in college and beyond.
    I'm not big on mementos anyway...
    All I need is the memories!

My classmates did autograph my graduation program, which I appreciated.
    I see at least half of my 40 classmates at least once a week in our tiny community--so we reminisce quite often.

RICHARD

5. Johnzimbo

Johnzimbo VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haven't read mine in years but last year I dug out my parent's HS and college yearbooks (both deceased) and contacted the libraries in the cities they went to school, and they were thrilled to take them as donations.

Annual me and Pete
  6. wormhole

wormhole VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think I know where mine is, but have not looked at it in years. I never bothered with the class rings, jackets, etc. I couldn't even begin to tell you where any of my classmates are now. There were a few chance meetings for the first few years after graduation, but haven't seen any of them since. It was a class of about 350, so I never knew most of them. It has been 43 years. The building doesn't even exist anymore.

7. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe 22 or so years ago. Only because we bought the house we now live in and were moving our stuff in boxes.

Must say we (my wife and I) didn't really read them. We just looked at the pictures with comments like: "Remember Him? No, who's that?"
    "How about her? Oh yeah she was a real sl%#..."
    "Look at your sophomore picture, did you really make your hair like that?"
    "Wow, look at all the pimples on that guy's face..."

And the inevitable question:
    "I wonder what all these guys (and gals) are doing now...."

8. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Funny, although I haven't dug out the year book, my class just recently had their 50th Reunion. They sent out a class listing with known addresses. I remembered about 50%. They also sent out a necrology and I only remembered about 50%, but their were a lot of guys from classes and guys I ate lunch with that were on there.

No listing of priests who molested teen boys but I know of at least 4 ex-teachers who were caught. So there had to be more. I wonder who the boys were?

I didn't attend.

9. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I never attended any of my reunions. I came across a police sergeant and whaddya know, he's my H.S. classmate. He mentions if I ever attended the reunions and I said no.

He told me give me your e-mail and I will send pics of the last recent reunion so I said o.k.

So sad. About 18 people and their spouses or S.O. attended (there were 400 plus in our graduating class) and I recognized maybe 4 of them.

And I would bet if I did attend they would look at each other and say "Who the hell is that guy?":kill:

10. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never even seen my Senior year's year book.
    I've always been curious... because I have no idea what's in it.
    (There were only 125 people in my graduating class so I'm pretty sure I'm in a lot of the content.)

I saw my other 3 yearbooks about 10 years ago.
    I think I've lost/forgotten or donated them because I haven't seen them since.

My mother still lives in my hometown we still look very similar.
    People always ask her how/where/what I was doing.
    I've never gone to any reunions.

I have an unusual maiden name -
    I have an email address that is my maiden name
    I still sometimes get emails from former classmates/co-workers

I don't spend too much time thinking about the past.
    High school was filled with a LOT of people I would not have gravitated towards otherwise.
    I do wonder about my senior year's year book though.

11. DRPinVA

DRPinVA Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a note from a long time friend of mine just after New Year's, telling me that my HS girlfriend/first love had passed away. I hadn't seen or heard from her for 25+ years, but it was still an odd feeling. The news of this prompted me to take out my old year book and read her note to me in it.. Kinda funny, when I looked at that book every entry referred to 'Good luck to you two'/similiar..we broke up just before our senior year started, so when I looked at the Senior year book, it was if she had never existed.

12. Jejas

Jejas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Perhaps you were!
    After all, which one is more reliable. the original writing on the book then, or the selective and fuzzy memory you have now?

13. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never been to any of my reunions either, mainly cuz I'm 1300 miles away, but I do get and read all of the newsletters.

One thing I can never figure out is that in each newsletter there is a "missing" column and it usually contains at least one whose whereabouts I know of, which if they would have like done a simple google search or looked in the phone book they would have found!

14. waltomeal

waltomeal Oozy rat in a sanitary zoO

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This hombre had a pretty sweet mullet in 1990.

• Like Like x 1
  15. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We didn't even drink. The 70's were a good time to go to school though, smoking area's( I didn't smoke either), no police in the schools, you would come and go in your own cars, I recall an after school gun club, where the hunter kids would bring their guns and discuss them.

16. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was one of the "lucky" ones, as back then the legal age in our area was 18. My birthday is in early September, so I was legal most of my senior year, and I must admit we did take advantage of it. :) Enforcement was often very lax as few kids had a true photo ID back then.

LOL, we obviously went to different schools. :)

17. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As i recall it was very strict, they were told the gun must be unloaded and kept in your locker, you could carry a knife as long as it wasn't a switchblade, it was a different time, open smoking area in courtyard area, didnt care if "underage" kids smoked. I feel sad for kids nowadays.

18. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My mullet went well with my Zubaz...
    And vice versa!

RICHARD

• Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.