1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Movies--Oscar hype let downs

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by vwhiten, Jan 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I rarely go to the theatre. I don't let Oscar drive my interest - usually. I don't even know who or what was nominated and could care less. However last night we watched "Hell or High Water" because as I was googling other things I see that Jeff Bridges is nominated for an Oscar for this movie. I do like Jeff Bridges--I did not like him as Rooster Cogburn- some things are just sacred. I did not like the Big Lebowski either. (Dude) -- I know Blasphemy- I actually watched that movie because of all the positives it got on here.

The trailer for Hell or High Water looked interesting so we rented it on Amazon. It is set in Texas-- (so of course I have to watch it)but filmed in New Mexico--wtf- why not film it in Texas? Jeff Bridges plays a Texas Ranger. Another reason that peaked my interest. There is something inherently romantic about the Texas Rangers.

The movie was okay. I did not think Jeff Bridges was spectacular. It seems as if he is trying to force the accent and it seems unnatural. Similar to his portrayal of Rooster Cogburn--he does not seem comfortable in the role.

My husband and I laughed at one scene where a guy rides up on horseback to a gas station/convenience store. I have lived in Texas most of my life. I have been around horses a lot. I have friends that do the rodeo thing or have kids that compete in Rodeos and Stock Shows. I have been through dozens of small West Texas towns too many times to count and I live in a small Texas town. I have never seen someone ride up to a store on a horse. --Seems to be stereotype of Texans.

It did have some high points. One scene at one of the bank robberies that did not go as planned--as the guys were making their get away one of them says "Nothing like a bunch of conceal carry perverts to put a damper on a bank robbery." And the interaction of Jeff Bridges and his partner was pretty good. It also starred Chris Pine who was pretty good. The movie just never flowed.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw four movies in the theaters in 2016.
    The Secret Lives of Pets
    Deepwater Horizon
    Trolls
    Rogue One

My bride's Oscar Preview issue of Entertainment Weekly arrived yesterday and I didn't see any of them nominated for Best Picture.
    All accidental omissions by the selection committee for sure!

The one nominee I wish I'd seen was Arrival.
    I'm awaiting it's arrival at my local Redbox kiosk.

RICHARD

3. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never even heard of this movie. After reading its synopsis, it sounds like a Cormac McCarthy book but it's not. I thought True Grit with Bridges was great when I watched it on a plane and I've seen Lebowski about 20 times. After looking at the nominations for best picture, I realize I've only heard of 3 of them. Lala Land and Hacksaw Ridge and Hidden Figures.

4. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Slightly off track I'll admit but related: if you want some good Jeff Bridges, consider The Last Picture Show. That film is peak Bogdanovich as well.

5. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "Arrival" is up for Oscars. I saw it at Sam's Town this past December to take a break from the tables. I just don't get it (the movie). Maybe because I'm hard of hearing and the movie had a lot of mumblings in it (to me).

I just didn't understand it. I also can't see why it's up for Oscars.

If any one would like to share their opinions on the movie please do. Thanks!

6. OKC Gal

OKC Gal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's how I felt about LaLa Land. Good but not great.

7. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I liked Jeff Bridges in Star Man and Jagged Edge. As far as Oscars go I can't name very many winners of any in the last 15-20 years. I'm sure there are some good ones. Seems there are so many awards now. I don't watch any of them whether it is Hollywood or Grammy's. Boring.

8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just an aside...when we lived Vegas, Suncoast had a special deal on Tuesday matinees for seniors and B Connected members. It was something like $2.50 pp.
    Anyway, 2009 was the first time ever we saw every movie that was nominated for a best picture Oscar, before they were announced.

Now, we are hard pressed to see a movie that looks good. Hell getting old. They are not aimed at our age group.

BTW, we both enjoy The Big Lewbowski. Just watched it again a few weeks ago, Dude!

9. amk121

amk121 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree..I saw Arrival too and it was confusing.. i thought it was depressing too, but I might be the only one that felt that way!

10. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Liked him in Crazy Heart and Against All Odds (1984) with Rachel Ward.

I saw La La Land, liked it, but didn't think it deserved all those nominations. I shouldn't be surprised because of all the narsissistic hollywood types who vote for these things.

Just saw Hidden Figures last week, really enjoyed that as well. There's a Movie Tavern nearby, so I can have a beer while watching the film.

11. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just watched Girl on the Train. It was pretty good.

12. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I liked arrival, the only part I thought was confusing was why the aliens were here. I saw the unrated version which was exactly the same except Amy Adams had to strip naked before entering the spaceship...:D

13. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of the problems with the Oscars is that once you win or even get nominated for one, you get more notice every movie since. I heard great things about Hell or High Water but all the buzz was about Chris Pine. But this year, Best Supporting Actor is the weak category and the guy who won the Golden Globe isn't even up for an Oscar. The movie was a sleeper hit and I can see Bridges getting in as a way to honor the movie overall as much as his performance.

I don't think that I've seen any of the Oscar movies but I plan to try and see Hidden Figures sooner than later. I've resisted La La Land because I don't like that they've acted as if no one has made a successful musical recently. I appreciate that its a throwback but I have more respect for the movies that made musicals modern and cool again. Overall, if the movie doesn't have to be seen in a theater, I wait to see it at home. There are more films in this crop I find interesting than I do in a normal Oscar year, though.

14. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had the same rule for giving ladies rides during my college years.
    Sadly I rode alone...

RICHARD

15. amk121

amk121 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

La La Land was good...they really did get so many nominations!
    I thought Hidden Figures was great too- I felt like they should have received even more nominations!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I liked Girl on the Train too. Recently watched the remake of The Magnificent Seven. Surprisingly I liked it. Liked Denzel Washington as the main character. Didn't care for the him in the Suicide Squad - but didn't care for the movie at all.

Agree that movies aren't geared to the almost over the hill age.

I don't care for slasher movies, sad or depressing movies, or movies that are meant to shove a personal agenda down my throat.

I want to be entertained. For me mystery/thrillers and action or spy movies. I refuse to watch sad animal movies like Marley and Me because I will cry through the whole damn thing.

17. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not released on big screen but several years ago PBS with Robert Redford made 3 Tony Hillerman Books into movies with Adam Beach and Wes Studi. I just watched them again. They were either on Netflix or Amazon Prime. The cinematography is fantastic if you like the southwest. Adam Beach and Wes Studi as Chee and Leaphorn were pretty good.

18. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd like to watch "A Dog's Purpose" but I'm not much of a movie goer and would happily wait until it's on DVD or Netflix or other.

I love dogs.

19. abraxis

abraxis Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wanted to watch it, also, until I saw the tmz footage of a dog being basically tossed into water against its will on the set...I'm guessing they didn't get the "no animals were harmed during the making of this film" endorsement.

Off topic: "The art of racing in the rain" is a great book for dog lovers. Combines dogs, cars, and fast/ easy reading.

20. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am an older senior and have lived through the years of America wanting to send a space ship. The movie "Hidden Figures" was well made and not boring. It does show the year of the 1960's. I was a young married gal in that year.
    It is great seeing a movie that is part of my life history where I got to see the real thing happening.

LaLa Land had poor lights and poor production according to ME. It was a musical and can't compare to the Musicals from the olden days of the beautiful productions.

The Movie "Arrival" is very technical and very slow moving which means I didn't like waiting for some action to happen.

I got turned off by the large egg shape alien ship and the aliens that looked like Octopuses with their legs hanging.
    After I saw that I chose to walk out and go see another movie in it's place. I attend afternoon movies during the week days when the theaters are half empty.

I think it was in the 1980's when my sister and I were on a Los Angeles freeway approx. 6 p.m. The freeway was crowded with slow moving cars. Then all of a sudden we heard a strong loud engine sound that I had never heard
    heard in my life. It didn't sound like an airplane or a train type of noise. But it was scary because it felt like some thing was going to fall on top of us. We looked up in the sky and I saw a super large alien ship with lots of lights and it was
    coming down onto the freeway when all of a sudden it disappeared. All the people in their cars saw it too. They called
    the newspapers to report it. But the answer was as always.... it must have been a balloon we might have seen. "DUH"...
    My sister and I decided to not tell any body because nobody would believe us any way.

We did see a real alien ship because only an alien ship can disappear all of a sudden like a flash. It has always been reported that when people see alien ships they disappear all of a sudden.
    I am telling you all my real experience because it is related to the "Arrival" movie which was a bunch of baloney until I find out that some alien ships look like an EGG and Aliens look like Octopuses. LucyR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.