1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Poll: When do you tip for housekeeping

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by in4mation808, Jan 16, 2017.

?

Housekeeping & tipping

1. I tip EVERY DAY

2. I tip at THE END of my stay

3. I NEVER tip

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in4mation808

in4mation808 VMB VIP Expert Picture Taker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let's get a poll started! Answer when you tip housekeeping!

2. Drewm1972

Drewm1972 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I seldom tip everyday..... unless we request more or made something messy.. but end of trip is appropriate as well

3. VegasDaytripper

VegasDaytripper Re-Re-Retired Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i usually don't request housekeeping at all
    since i just don't want anyone going through the room

however, if i do make a request for anything, i'll leave a small tip for each time/day

if you only tip at the end of your stay, the person who receives the tip may not be the same person who took care of your room earlier in the trip

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Drewm1972

Drewm1972 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well most times I have stayed at Vegas - we usually found notes fro housekeeper stating their name saying she is the housekeeper so we are most time fully know who she is.

5. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife leaves $5 everyday with a note saying thanks.

• Like Like x 2
  6. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I change hotels a lot, using free room comps for 2 nights usually. most of the time I have the DND sign on the door so I don't get my room serviced on the first day. I know it is hard work, but I see nothing done above and beyond. they are only allowed a few minutes per room, so they cant do a whole lot. I don't make a big mess, pretty easy to clean up after. I leave a few bucks upon checkout. if I have to call for anything during my stay, such as more towels / soap, then I tip on the spot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. jon_vegas

jon_vegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tip whenever I get it cleaned and when I checkout. I don't always get it cleaned everyday though.
    Also, I tip just so I don't have to worry about hiding my toothbrush in the safe... lol jk jk jk jk.

8. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tip once or twice per trip, maybe $3.

9. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Daily as you don't have same housekeeper entire stay

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Usually just hang the nolo molesto sign up and don't have housekeeping, too much work to take the whips and chains down every morning :noangel:

We seldom need any room supplies, usually only a roll of TP, and we snag that off the cart.

We "bus" any garbage out, at the end of a three or four day trip we leave a tennner on the way out.

I have left a fiver in a couple of my cheapskate friends rooms who left a mess. Observation there is that these people have never worked in any sort of service job. Never sure if they have understood the concept as much as much I have explained it to them. I can see it if you don't leave a mess......it's not mandatory to tip, but seriously....and their homes are all tidy and clean.

I worked as a bellman for Hyatt for a while, I loved taking breaks with the housekeeping staff and know what they put up with. They have some greattttt stories of debauchery and ******baggery.

Please don't get me wrong.....I have hosted some serious room parties and left too late to do much clean up, but I tip accordingly for the mess ( I hope ).

11. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So true, some images and stories can't be unseen!

We occasionally tip for a room.

We are not messy people. The garbage is in the pail when we leave, the towels we used are in the tub, the empty bottles, flyers and coffee cups are in the trash can.

We have left a tip on some occasions but only if we've had a good trip. We don't require anything extra and often put the Do Not Disturb sign out. Leaving a tip for housekeeping is an exception rather than a rule.

If we win so do they.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On a 5 day trip I'll ask for room service 2 times and tip on every occasion. Once in the middle of the trip and again when we check out. Basically every three days if the trip is longer.

13. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You should have an answer in there for "irregularly", "off and on", "it depends" and such. None of the answers fit my pattern. :(

14. mrem3200

mrem3200 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, but on some level it kind of evens out over time. Meaning she might get shafted if she cleans my room the first couple of days but not the last day so she gets nothing but she also might clean someone else's room only on the last day and get the tip for the whole stay. I tip (when I do which isn't always) on the last day.

15. GottaLuvCruising

GottaLuvCruising High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Because room is often serviced by different staff, we leave a couple dollars daily, but $5 at the end of our stay (when there are just two of us.)

16. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe she'd be into it.

17. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last trip solo 4 days. I don't make much of a mess, leave all used towels / cloths in the sink so she doesn't have to bend over to pick stuff up. Put all trash in the garbage can on bureau by television. And as a result of earlier post left $'s under the pillow (never thought of supervisor picking up tip when checking rooms). So whoever moves the pillows to make the bed finds the $'s.
    When with the wife, every other day as we are too lazy to pick up daily but like fresh linens and towels. Lock up valuables daily.

18. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pretty sure all tips are pooled at most places.

19. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From a maid,
    Being a maid, she explains “is one of the most thankless jobs.”

It's also the one category (other than nightclubs) where our staff is the most divided. Seventeen percent don't tip the maid at all. For many, the tip relates to the number of nights at the hotel. If they stay for a week, they tip. Short stays, they don't tip. The average stay in Vegas is 3.6 nights. With a lot of weekend drive traffic from California and Arizona, there's a substantial number of folks who may only be here for one or two nights.

Still 82 percent of our staff leave some sort of tip for the maid – 66 percent left between $1 and $5 per day while 16 percent left between $5 and $10 per day.

As one person explained it, “It depends on how messy I leave the room. If all she (the maid) does is refresh the linens and towels, $5 – $10 a day. If she has to clean up a crap load of garbage from my child, then (I tip) more than $20 per day.”

Some said they only started tipping the maid after they lived in Las Vegas. Living in a town where 46 percent of the population work in some job related to tourism, you become intimately aware of the amount of work it takes to do those jobs and how much people earn (about $16 per hour plus benefits for maids).

20. PsyDoc

PsyDoc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It actually depends where I am. In North America I tip daily, in Europe I tip at the end of my stay, in most Asian countries (e.g., Japan) I don't tip at all.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.