1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Your One Guilty (and expensive) Pleasure

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by VegasGroove, Jan 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You know, the one item that is guiltily expensive, you absolutely love and dangit you deserve! It may be something you don't talk about because it's "your little secret". Or you may brag about it because, hey, "I spoil myself".

Whatever it is, you enjoy it, no matter what the cost.

2. PsyDoc

PsyDoc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Every trip to Vegas is guiltily expensive for me ;)
    ....but I do it anyway.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. VegasDave

VegasDave Addicted

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This...

4. Kolmeseiska

Kolmeseiska Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This has cocaine written all over it.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our cars are rather basic -- a Honda and a VW -- with never a penny of interest.

We buy a good amount of wine but none of it is stupid expensive.

We eat well, with quality inputs, but that's just living.

I guess for a discretionary item, travel is ours. But ain't no guilt there!! (Let's see what the missus says when I buy my next bicycle.)

6. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have no guilty expensive hobbies. I have expensive hobbies (I love to travel internationally). I actually don't have any hobbies I feel guilty about indulging. Huh. Who knew?

My husband tends to jump from hobbies every few years - currently it's RC airplanes. But since his past hobbies always EARNED him money (he sold his pinball machines at a profit, he sold his cameras & lenses at a profit, sold the airplane he built at a profit....) I can't really give him a hard time about it.

7. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My one and only guilty pleasure luxury spend is doing cocaine with hookers in exotic sports cars on a private island.

Other than that I'm pretty frugal.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Skeezy513

Skeezy513 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

It's a hell of a drug! :woohoo:

• Like Like x 2
  9. carolineno

carolineno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vegas I suppose, and truffle mac and cheese. Nothing too expensive - I don't care for the fancy purses or clothes (well some of the clothes, but I don't buy them). I do feel awful guilty about the carbs though. Maybe if I ever have Cristal I will finally have an expensive guilty pleasure.

Ladies getaway, somewhere on the strip with a pool :)
  10. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is mine......a 1973 Ford F-100 XLT.

I am the second owner, bought from the proverbial old guy who had it garaged it's whole life for $2K.

Under a 100K miles. Never used as a work truck, just for hauling a family camper and a boat on vacations. Never wrecked, original paint, almost zero rust.....no cancer, just slight surface under the rear bumper.

390, auto, stock front disc brakes, with A/C.

The guilty part comes in to play with replacing wear and tear parts with factory original stuff, not auto parts store stuff. One example, auto parts store seat cover, $59.00....stock replacement $329.00. The other guilty part is replacing perfectly functional engine components with chrome stuff. But that's OK as chrome makes horsepower :thumbsup:. I keep all the original non chrome for the resale.

Looking forward to this afternoon, day one of Barrett Jackson auto auction, AKA truck day, we will see if trucks are still headed up. One like mine, probably a lot shinier though sold in the $16K range, I doubt mine would get that high being sold as a "survivor", but I think when it comes time to sell I will be in the $11K range.

Sorry about the old guy in front of the truck......it's the only pic of the truck on my Applepad.

By the way.......it's not really my truck, it's the guy driving it in the picture.:hmmm:

IMG_0860.JPG

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 9
  11. snoopydogj

snoopydogj High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    IMG_0420.JPG This is mine.
    It's almost the exact same as the one I bought when I was 19.

• Like Like x 9
  12. Drewm1972

Drewm1972 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    my watches!!! I love watches currently have few Rolex and couple of Panerai (Daytona, Millagus &a limited edition panerai)
    Suits and dress shoes; I buy them quality over price!!!
    Of course. My baccarat game!!! This can be expensive lol

13. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I s'pose expensive is a subjective term, and 'guilty pleasure' defined as something that benefits only myself. I too hop on and off different hobbies ever so often, but one that's - thus far - lasted the longest and cost the most money is my affinity for weaponry and the associated expenditure of gunpowder and lead. Living in Florida, it is mandatory that I am sufficiently armed to 'stand my ground' , should the need or simply the urge, arise, but a day on the range can eat into the wallet. Although I enjoy the relentless slaughter of paper targets, there's times when I get back home and say "man....you wouldn't think holes would cost that much". :eek:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  14. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We were talking about my new bike the other day. My current ride is of course "perfectly fine." I found irony in the less-than-a-year-old Specialized Vita Carbon Elite that hangs where the "perfectly fine" K2 MachSpeed once resided, which of course is next to the wine unit that we (mutually) agreed was needed to house our bottle children, to the tune of $Xxxx. lol

In reality, we don't play Negotiation/Extortion Roulette when we get stuff, but when something gets over, say, a grand a little forewarning doesn't hurt.

15. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hence the ability to stay married thirty years. Not that there isn't some lively and loud discussion, but communication can make these 'hobbies' enjoyable.

• Like Like x 1
  16. BostonJP

BostonJP Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As of last year I'm making Vegas an annual thing where I plan on spending more than I would on a normal weekend away. I throw my wife a few hundred to play the slots and she doesn't complain at all about the expense.

The BMW, on the other hand...........

17. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Friends of ours: They each just buy whatever, don't talk about it beforehand -- inconsequential to well into five figures -- and then let the dust settle after the most recent flareup. As with the sun, the flares are of varying magnitude and intensity. It seems to work for them.

20 for us in October!

• Like Like x 2
  18. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We also each buy what we want - though I want travel and that requires coordination. He wants "toys" and just buys what he wants. At least half the time, however, the company buys the toys so I *really* can't complain ;-) (tractors, power tools etc - things that are for the business but I also benefit from)

I don't think he has (recently...) bought anything personal for >$1000 without me knowing about it in advance. But about 10 years ago, I came home and he had the foundation for a new garage installed. He tries to tell me we talked about it ahead of time, but that conversation was only in his head.....

• Like Like x 1
  19. kevin853

kevin853 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Double post sorry

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  20. kevin853

kevin853 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Part owner of a racehorse. Not Frankel but wins the occasional race. Won last week but quite an expensive hobby.

5 of us own it and costs us approx £450 each per month. Some nice days out though when he runs.

IMG_0877.PNG

• Like Like x 5
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.