1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Amsterdam - London - Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Kevke, Jan 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevke

Kevke Vegas Addict

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hello everyone !

Booking a vegas trip in begin september.

Whenever i look at Expedia , i search for a flight & hotel package.

I search on Amsterdam ( The Netherlands ) - London - Las Vegas

Usually i never book this early in advance and i never have to pay extra to fly over london.

now on each day of the month in september i have to pay 200 bucks to go there over London and 200 bucks back to fly over London

I cant imagine all flights over london each month are all full , usually when i go in April i book in january ~ Feb and i dont have to pay extra.

Why is that i think its because they dont give away the flights for free yet and hope people are going to pay extra for them.

I hope some of u know the reason why that is ! and also what is the best time to book for September !

2. gebruiker

gebruiker High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am also a dutchie, try sites like jetcost.nl, skyscanner or google flights......for flight only
    check fly4free.com for mega-deals, have a little patience

3. Kevke

Kevke Vegas Addict

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But what do you think about the London thing , will it stay this much or will it turn our cheaper as we get close to september.

4. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I book lots of flights, but never from AMS, so really not not any help at all.

You are booking AMS-London-Vegas for some reason I guess? And you say you are flying OVER London? I am confused.

5. Kevke

Kevke Vegas Addict

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes , I wanne fly from Amsterdam to london , wich is 1 hour , then take the connected flight from London 10-11 hours straight to las vegas.

Usually this is a free flight without any costs? But now i have to pay 400 usd extra, is that because i book to early and they dont give away the flights for free yet ? i cant imagine they beeing all full in september each day of the month ?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  6. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's probably what the market can bear right now since our flight it 7-8 months out right now or it could be the new norm. If you don't have to buy right now, I would suggest waiting and checking the fares daily to see if they come down. I would figure you are safe booking at least 6 months out.

7. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
  8. Kevke

Kevke Vegas Addict

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually buy a package flight + hotel , 8 nights in Mandalay Bay for arround 1000 euros ( 1100 usd ).

That includes the flight from AMSTERDAM - LONDON - VEGAS and VEGAS - LONDON - AMSTERDAM

Now it also costs me arround 1000 bucks , but now i have to pay 200 extra when im going and 200 extra when going back to fly over London.

there is where my problem is , i dont feel like paying 400 usd extra when it might be free flight the next couple weeks?

9. makuk

makuk Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So wait a couple of weeks then!!!!!!

10. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are not any free flights. Ever.

If you try to buy a flight from AMS to London, you will find it is not free. If you are buying a connecting flight, it might seem to be free, but it is part of the overall flight cost. You should not be searching for AMS-London-Vegas. You should be searching for AMS-Vegas. It is possible they are pricing out a stopover which is different than a layover.

Again, there are no free flights.

Another good search tool via google : www.google.com/flights

11. Kevke

Kevke Vegas Addict

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know the flights are not free, but they usually dont charge " Extra " to connect over London , and now they do.

12. WichitaMuskie

WichitaMuskie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is there a reason you're so set on connecting through London?

13. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It may have nothing to do with "london" specifically. Supply and demand means some flights are cheaper than others. Sometimes a connection is cheaper, sometimes another connection city is cheaper and sometimes they are not.

Supply and demand. Marketing. Revenue enhancement (trying to sell as many higher priced tickets as possible and also not have empty seats)

p.s. - "connect OVER London" must a language thing. Most people talk about a connection in London - not over it. Again. might just be language.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kevke

Kevke Vegas Addict

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Reason I wanne connect over london is that I rather have 1 short flight ( 1 hour to London ) and then 1 long flight to Vegas ( 11 hours ) then 2 flights from 7 hours or so, and second I have bad experience with connecting In the US its not a easy thing when your not a us citizen.

15. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It may have nothing to do with "london" specifically. Supply and demand means some flights are cheaper than others. Sometimes a connection is cheaper, sometimes another connection city is cheaper and sometimes they are not.

Supply and demand. Marketing. Revenue enhancement (trying to sell as many higher priced tickets as possible and also not have empty seats)

Does it actually have a CHARGE for the London leg on the booking?

p.s. - "connect OVER London" must a language thing. Most people talk about a connection in London - not over it. Again. might just be language.

16. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If it is for September, I'd wait a while and look for deals (and search multiple tools). I mean, usually flight + hotel is no cancellation, and a lot of plans can change in 9 months (and rates too).

As to why a connection in London could be pricier, lots of potential reasons. But most likely would simply be strong demand for one of the legs of that flight (London-Vegas most likely).

17. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Try connecting through Dublin - not sure if there is a direct LV flight but, you avoid the London charges

18. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To the OP - tell us a bit more. Why do you want to connect in London? I see Delta has flights with a connection in the states.

And, as much as I like to book direct - I just priced Expedia for a Sept date and you can get 7 nights hotel plus airfare for under $2k?

19. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He already answered that. He wants the short leg first, and connecting in the US can be complicated on foreign passports.

• Like Like x 1
  20. gebruiker

gebruiker High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @Kevke: I have seen this many times before, it will change to normal or even outrageously cheap. My wife is flying in two weeks for 325Euros via Kopenhagen.
    Myself I am flying in a week for 418 Euros including one night at hooters, via LHR.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.