1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

DSLR, Point & Shoot, Advanced Point & Shoot, or cell phone camera

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by in4mation808, Jan 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in4mation808

in4mation808 VMB VIP Expert Picture Taker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just wondering what you folks bring when traveling to Vegas. I know there would be probably a combination of cameras being used (camera phone and another camera) or maybe only just a camera phone. What do you folks use?

Personally, I use my iPhone and I have an advanced point and shoot (Canon G9X) that I use to take photos of the trip/vacation.

I personally LOVE my Canon....it gets awesome night shots and photographs the strip at night very well. And being that I'm coming from Hawaii, I don't really want to lug a DSLR on the plane. Or even lug it around for that matter.

2. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've taken my iPhone a Canon Powershot and even an HD Video Camcorder at different times.
    The optics are getting better and better on the iPhone so that's what I take now. I try to limit my
    photos because I end up taking shots of the same things every time. Its a compulsion.

• Like Like x 1
  3. carolineno

carolineno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use my horrid Android fone for live reporting, and my point & shoot for post trip reporting. Not trying to win an award but wouldn't mind a photo or 2 worth printing up. Basically need to save room for shoes :)

Ladies getaway, somewhere on the strip with a pool :)
  4. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a semi-serious amateur photographer, and I've been shooting Las Vegas off and on since the 1970s. (A couple links below.)

I've used a variety of cameras over the years in Las Vegas, but very seldom anything I would call high end. On this last trip I used a Fuji HS30, a Canon GIII, and a beat-up falling-apart Kodak Easyshare. One niche I fall into is using mid-century film cameras. The combination of 1960s-1970s glass and 21st. century film hits a sweet spot. Sensitive and very clean and smooth film and higher-quality optics from a vintage when film was typically not that sensitive. One thing I've been using for some of the recent night shots in LV is Cinestill 800 film, which is a re-spooled tungsten-balanced Eastman motion picture film.

I always have a camera with me, usually a simple P&S but one with a good lens. Usually an Olympus Stylus Zoom or the old Kodak.

Canon makes good products, both plain and fancy, and I use a few of them.

As to using a phone, each to his or her own, and if it works for you, all the better, but I have yet to see a cam phone that REALLY has the optics or the image quality of a good recent P&S film or digital camera, particularly in lower-light situations or when printed 8x10 or larger.

If this is the one I'm thinking of (one of the higher-end Powershot series?) you should be able to get stunning night shots and it should be adequate for great-looking prints up to 13x19 (A3+ "Super B") or so. If you've never done larger prints of your better photos, try it! :)

The only thing I don't like about those, and again, this is me, if it works for you all the better, is that I NEED a viewfinder! I just can't compose or concentrate when looking at a video image on the back of a camera. I need it up to my eye and I need to concentrate a bit on the composition.

I usually carry cameras in my carry-on bag. If I have film with me I'll ask for a hand inspection at security. They're used to it. :)

I'll always carry a P&S, or sometimes a smaller rangefinder, around with me in my everyday purse. When I go on a shoot or a photo walk I'll often use a wrist strap. I'll use a shoulder strap only when necessary.

Here are a couple links to some of my LV photos over the years (decades). The first is to a newer gallery, with "Las Vegas" from the tag cloud pre-selected. The second is my photo blog which has many LV shots over many years.

http://www.demare.me/gallery/index.php/tag/3/LasVegas

http://omababe.blogspot.com/

5. Jejas

Jejas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    on family trips, I took my DSLR, Canon 5D II & IV.
    on other trips, nothing, not even bother to take pictures with my iPhone.

6. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OMG! TWO of them? :) Must have had a good night at the tables, huh? :) :) :)

7. Jejas

Jejas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL. Not really. Just have to keep up with the technology progress, and I don't bother to sale the old cameras.
    The money I lost on tables and machines over the years could buy 100 those cameras.

8. in4mation808

in4mation808 VMB VIP Expert Picture Taker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Damn! I can only imagine getting a "D" from Canon.....I can only get Rebel T's...... :cry:

9. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got a good bonus this year and I've been toying with getting a 5-DS-R, but jeesh! I've bought cars (financed) for less than what one of them with a decent lens costs! YOLO so I may very well go4it. Still, lotsa $$$$$ even with a fairly competitive Canon dealer on my daily commute.

LOL, must be nice to have a 5D as a "winter beater", huh? :)

10. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As an airshow photog, I have some biiiiig and heavy lenses. If anything I use my Nikon Coolpix 510. I imagine my phone has a decent camera, but never could get into using a phone as a camera! Some of the older Canon D models are cheaper and excellent- just check eBay. I use a 50Dand 60D and am very happy with them.

11. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All of those pictures that either sit on your phone or get printed and put in the closet will look the same on any of those. Really, where are the pics from the last few times in Vegas?

Really, just sayin.

Carrying around one more thing does not seem to make sense. Something to keep track of.

The phones of the past years pretty much any point and shoot. Camera works great and it is always with you.

12. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In my office, on my wall at home, there's a 13x19 of one of my Horseshoe Bend shots hanging in our reception area currently. Many of them on the web in various places. Quite a few LV shots in my portfolio notebook. I've done local and regional exhibits and such including some of them. I do occasionally sell a print, but I don't consider myself a professional photographer by any means.

13. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    People that take pics and display them like you are not the norm here. If you are selling prints, you are a professional in my book - but that really does not matter. You are a real photographer, not just a casual pic taker.

14. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
  15. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    dmr - I think I am using a few year old Canon Rebel T5 (my daughter has it right now & I'm sitting here sick & can't remember exact model). The ones that WM & Kohl's had for Black Friday my son said were a step-up but only minimal from what he & I both have and likely we wouldn't notice any difference in quality.

He recommended:
    70D or 80D (seem to range from 900 body only to 1500 for a package)
    7D line (pretty hefty price if I get into the Mark II)
    5D line (kidney for sale here......)

I didn't dig into these yet but I also require a viewfinder (call me old school). I normally don't even have the back display on unless I'm shooting fireworks & trying to watch at same time - easier to glance at back screen then vs. viewfinder.

Right now I could afford any of the listed ones (including the blasted 5D line) but can't psychologically afford that 5D when that could fund two vacations. I'd love to buy 'body only' but my daughter is claiming my old one & will want the lenses with it so I will be starting from scratch.

Any thoughts or opinions among the 70D/80D/7Ds???

• Like Like x 1
  16. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't used any of those but I have not heard anything bad about any of them. The only reasons I would not consider one of them is that all have the smaller sensor (I admit I am obsessed with "full frame" and if I'm gonna blow my bonus, I am going that way, this is just me) and all have the anti-aliasing filter. On "another network" this filter appears to be one of the culprits, among a few other things, that's contributing to the soft and mushy images I am getting with the Fuji HS30 when I do prints larger than 8x10. Again, this is me, and if you're happy with the images out of the T5 (which certainly has it) then any of the above should be more than you need. If I'm paying that much (again, this is just me) I'm getting one that does not need such a filter.

Any canon in that price range will be a quality product, definitely in the "prosumer" range, and more than capable of producing stunning prints of about anything. The 80 is of newer technology (IIRC a year or less old) which could be good or bad :) and the 7 and 70 are more mature and any roll-out bugs are surely corrected in current production. All of them have a wider range of available lenses than does the 5D series.

Of course anything in the 5D range will be top of the top of the line, a real budget-buster, and unfortunately a real target item!

Good luck and hope this helps. :)

17. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks dmr - one further question. I actually had an old telephoto from my Canon 35mm film camera. It worked on my current Canon. Any likelyhood that it may work on the new ones or will they have something to prevent it?? The lens is seriously 25 years old & I was amazed it actually did work on my newer Canon.

18. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not really a gear trivia expert, but if it's an EF mount it should work, although it will be "longer" as in a cropped virtual focal length.

19. VegasDaytripper

VegasDaytripper Re-Retired Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    times i have taken my DSLR to vegas with me - about 4-5 times
    times i have actually taken my DSLR out to take photos in vegas - twice

i used to always take my camera on trips... but i found myself just leaving the camera in the hotel more and more

so i just stick to my phone camera
    have a galaxy s7 so quality is fine

20. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    jgates: it also does depend what you want to use the camera for. I doubt anybody who isn't into serious close up and panorama photography needs a full frame DSLR. And, there are many advanced P&S that take excellent pix. Unless you're driving( no worries about size/weight) or plan to take a whole lotta "fancy" pix, a DSLR in Vegas seems to be overkill and just something else you need to guard! If you want to get into more serious DSLR cameras and lenses I suggest checking out fredmiranda.com.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.