1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Those guys with whom you don't want to be paired

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Dec 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some of those really are painful. I have a group of about 12-16 guys. We mix and match all season. One of the guys will invite an out of town friend a couple times a year, and we have gotten to the point where NONE of us want to golf with the guy. He is a chronic asshole about everything! If you are 50 yards to the left of him whispering, he slams his club to the ground, and asks for silence. If you shift your weight in his "line of sight" while he is putting, he huffs, and backs off. So on and so forth. Oh, and he's an 18 handicap.

I take issue with the poker chip being a problem. I use a poker chip on any longish putt. When I get close to the hole, I use a dime. The thing is, when you are 20 feet out, the poker chip is far easier for the other guys to see, and helps them avoid stomping in my line. Which leads to my next gripe: The guy who stomps in your line.

Of all the guys I play with, there are three who just don't give a shit where they plod along on the green. The one guy always says, "I'm not wearing spikes, so it doesn't matter."

'Nother one. The guy who yanks his ball out of the hole with his putter. Fuck you! The hole was cut an hour ago, and there are already three dents in the rim. How about a dent in your head?

One of the guys I play with HAS to drive the cart. No one else knows how to drive! He goes to his ball, and you can walk back 40 yards to yours. He is also famous for cutting in front of me while I am addressing the ball. He drives right up to the green, and hits his chip. I'll address my chip, and he'll say, "Hang on", and drive between me and the green. I always say, "You are in a goddamned cart! You can wait til I hit!".......Never matters.

I hate the guys who think the cart is a wheelchair! The pro at my place tells these guys, "If you can putt from the cart, you are too close to the green!"

BIGGEST PEEVE! Guys who don't rake the bunker! Why should I have to be in your deer tracks, because you are too lazy, or too pissed off at your shitty shot to do your due obligation to others? Added bonus. The guy who walks all the way across the bunker to get to his shot, and then takes a different route out all the way across again. I literally hate you!

Thanks for bringing this shit up during my off season!!!

3. TrewBrew

TrewBrew I may be right, I may be Crazy.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One friend who will not play ready golf. When I am walking across the green to play my poor chip from the other side of the green and he won't step up and putt his 4 footer because I am still away. I am always away just putt the damn ball.

I am one of those guys you don't want to be paired with if you don't like bad golfers. Kind of surprised bad golfer did not make the list must have been #26

4. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, we all have ones -- people and practices -- we could put on the list.

As for that spike/no-spike thing, I just wrote an article for the Metropolitan Golf Association (The Met Golfer Magazine) looking at some of the flat-out wrong assumptions associated with different types of outsoles.

Bad golfers aren't a problem. Most of us kinda suck, anyway. I'd take a guy tossing up a 109 who is fun and pleasant and moves along than some vaginal-cleansing bag who plays off a +2.

I just played in my 11th annual Media Golf Classic, with writers and broadcasters from around the world. After this much time we've all settled into our nice comfortable pods -- the guys/gals with whom we play every year and with a short-list of folks who are on the NFW list. Outside that, my traveling miscreants and the locals, I play a lot of golf singly or being paired with folks I don't know. I walk whenever possible because you still can socialize with the fun ones and get away to some extent from the idiots. Earbuds help, too, for those who think classic rock should not be played while playing.

Anyway, in some grand scheme, you can do a lot of stuff out there as long as you do it timely!! That is Pet Peeve Universal -- plodders.

5. Tahoejoe2

Tahoejoe2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The guy that looks for his lost ball for 15 minutes.

6. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Think I might be "that guy".

Played two days ago Showed up on the first tee as a single. 4 guys were there but they sent me out with 1 of them as a 2some leaving a 3 some on the first tee. We get to the 3rd tee and guy I'm playing with takes a phone call and says his friends finally showed up and he's returning to the 1st tee. I play on. See him again on the 3rd fairway playing with the 3 guys that were on the first tee when we teed off. Dude was 1 under after 2 and still chose to head back to the first tee. LOL.

7. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe they've been following your posts. :poke:

That is just flat weird that a starter would bust up a foursome.

8. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief Bottle Washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ya busting up a foursome to make a 2 and 3 is flat goofy unless the guy volunteered to go off with you

9. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If he did, he unvolunteered after my 3-putt bogey on the 2nd hole.

10. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As for that spike/no-spike thing, I just wrote an article for the Metropolitan Golf Association (The Met Golfer Magazine) looking at some of the flat-out wrong assumptions associated with different types of outsoles.

Well, I know this much: Play when the sun is setting, and look at how shitty the greens look. You can see every footprint for the last hour, and every single trough caused by the flagstick being tossed to the ground. If anyone thinks these things don't affect a putt, they are out of their mind. Just because you can't see them at noon, doesn't mean they are not there.

11. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It took you two holes to three-jack? You're better than most of us!

12. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually one thing I find with the gamblers and not mentioned on the list.

Not keeping up with the group in front of you/slow play but not allowing players behind to pass.

These people are usually gamblers and they always wait for the person farthest out to hit before they even go to their ball. These people will sit in the cart and wait until their cart mate hits his ball, then the two drive to the other's ball or they will then start to look for the other's ball. They will play campfire around the hole and watch everyone putt out before leaving, sometimes having a discussion around the hole to find out who won the hole. Some of these guys are good players but some of them aren't, yet they wait for the person farthest out and won't go to their ball until the guy hits his ball.

Can't stand it, at my regular course there are a bunch of samoans (sorry but not trying to be racial but it just happens to be these people) that go out. We always try to get out before them because they turn a 3 hour 45 minute round to a 5 hour or longer round, even first thing in the morning. Lately they've been trying to get out early which then slows play down for the rest of the day. We spoke with the starter about this but since it is a muni they don't have marshals so the starter said we need to get there earlier than that group so I'm usually there very early. I've been in front of those groups, by the 9th hole they are 3 holes behind and by the 18 hole they are nowhere to be found. If I'm late and go out after those groups I will try to skip some holes to get ahead of them because I don't want to wait on every hole because those groups hold everything up.

Sorry, just ranting but they tick me off with their slow play.

13. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The "golfs a round only once or twice a year" guy/gal because he/she normally makes my game look really bad--compared to her/his success! :faint:

See also: bowling, tennis, board games, etc.

RICHARD

14. Johnzimbo

Johnzimbo VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I play maybe once a year if that and suck. Friend asked me to join his weekly group once so I did, and one guy was a little to serious for my liking. They were mostly making pars while I was 3-4 putting most holes, so to speed it up I would pick up my ball if I got to 5-6 feet, and he told my friend "your buddy is taking some long gimmes". Dick

Annual me and Pete
  15. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is that an Oahu thing or an Oahu public course thing? I've played all five main islands, anywhere from some courses on Oahu to all on other islands, and I can't say that I've found pace to be generally better or worse than other golf-mad locales. I get your Samoan statement because some cultures do approach this thing in a fundamentally different way than others. The Japanese come to mind. Play too far back, putt everything out, strict adherence to who is away, various other practices and niceties that bog up the works ... and some BIG ASS staff backs, to boot. lol

My local guys all gamble. But we also do it, while most walk, in under 4 hours. I have another couple friends who have never had as much as a penny on the line and they are tortoises.

16. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed. A lot of the things on that list really are not annoying if they don't slow down the round. Plumb bobbing doesn't bother me if it only takes 3 seconds. But when it takes a minute, and a minute from both sides, it gets a "While we're YOUNG!!"

17. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Indeed. You're showing great etiquette and the putz busts your balls?

My feeling on the rules is pretty simple: If you're not trying to get in my pocket or sandbag the handicap, I don't care what you put on your card or what you think or say you shot.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Ken, .........A very good list !
    I think most of it I witness ALL THE TIME.
    I gotta say - MOST the time - in small doses.
    But as Big Tip says : As long as you don't slow down the round.
    And Ken - I agree - if it ain't a "Money Game" - I don't care what you do.
    I stay out of "Money Games" period ! ( I'm not that good )
    I used to play for beers w/ some of my Caddy buddies........not money.
    I gotta read this list again.......

19. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some of my biggest problems usually concern guys ahead of us. Guys in a cart who dont know how to drop one guy off go to your ball and come back and get him. People who wait to hit from a distance that they will be lucky to reach the green in two shots. People who wont let us play thru even though theres two open holes in front so we end up skipping holes or playing the hole were on twice if nobodys behind us. (public course,no ranger). My buddy cracked me up last time we were stuck behind some guys doing what I call the "death march"
    He said "I know that guy up there,thats Lou Rigomortis" I laughed anyway.

20. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Easily #3: Offering Unsolicited Advice, and Lots Of It

I live in an area with lots of retirees. I'm a very friendly and chatty person. Most of the time I go out with a friend, so we often get paired with a couple others at the course. Because I'm very receptive to conversation from people I've just met, I generally get the guy who's going to "help" me! Well meaning, nice fellas who say, "see... you know what you just did there?" during the entire round! UGHHHHHH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.