1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

My phone doesn't work in Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Rush, Dec 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The last few trips I have made out there, my phone only works for texting. If I try to answer a call, or play a message back, all I hear is garbled mush.

Now, in the past the store would set my phone somehow. Now, the $8hr flunkies roaming the store have no clue as to why my phone won't work out there. I've heard everything from my phone is bad, to the carrier doesn't receive out there. I have US Cellular, so if any of you have them, let me know how it works for you when you are out there.

Now, I pay roaming charges, so don't tell me the service doesn't "work" out there. That's what roaming means!

2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have Verizon and there are some dead spots in LV, but generally it works fine. Do you use a major domestic carrier?

3. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What model phone? You may need to "refresh" carrier settings (update towers). A lot of newer phones automatically do this.

Don't hold me to this, but I believe if you dial *228 when you start having trouble, the cell provider will update your towers/setting for the locale you are in. Like I said before, a lot of newer phones do this already and the *228 doesn't work. You should be able to do this at home to test it though.

4. Jejas

Jejas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you provide your phone's maker and model, your carrier and the plan, people may have better chance to help.

5. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have an older Samsung Freeform4. US Cellular is the carrier. I do the tower update thing.....doesn't help

6. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    my phone only works in half of my own home. If I look at the coverage map close up it cuts right through my place.

Maybe the $8 flunkies are just doing the job they are paid to do. they dont set up the network after all.

• Like Like x 1
  7. greekjim

greekjim King Gyro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It could be US cellular, they don't even have towers in Illinois but rent from other towers so you can make and recieve calls but you can't use data data there

8. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

Their job is to answer questions like the one I have, not look at me like I am speaking Greek, and make up some excuse. If you talk to four people in the store, you get four (wrong) answers.

This is why I am posting this. I figure someone on here will be smart enough to have an answer for me.

9. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No idea what the "store would have to set" before, but phones how either work or not, at least in the states.

Maybe you are on some sort of older plan that only gives you coverage in their "owned" network. Companies like this do not have a national network, and rely on other carriers to ick up most of the country - invisible to you,but...

that phone is 4 years old... I bet you an get a 2 year old one for almost nothing.

10. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

I just know that years ago, when we traveled, the guy in the store would alter some setting on the phone. The main reason I started this thread, was in the hopes that another US Cellular customer would see it, and be able to tell me if they can use their phone. At least I would have a starting point if they chimed in.

11. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    solution - get a new phone and a new carrier. plenty of $30 plans and cheap phones out there

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

No. I only go to Vegas a couple times a year, max. I'm not giving up a carrier that gives me 98% satisfaction. I am just hoping for a solution within the system.

13. crimhead

crimhead Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah - new phone - you should be able to get one for next to nothing.

14. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It might cost you more but one of the big 4 national carriers might give you 100% satisfaction. Plus if your phone is 4 years old time for a new one. In this day and age 4 years is like a whole generation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. ChilliPalmer

ChilliPalmer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A lot of people love to use the budget carriers, Boost, Cricket, Simple, etc. The problem is the customer service and resources when you really need help generally are not the best, especially when you need it most. These companies can seem great most of the time, but when you really need help it can be beyond frustrating. You get what you pay for in these stances.

That being said there are a lot of factors in your question. You have an older device that is not equipped to handle the latest cellular technology (towers, networks, handoffs, etc). You're also asking about coverage in on out of area market. 99% of US cellular'smcoverage in the western US is "partner coverage" which varies widely. This is true for 100% of Las Vegas.

Some things to try:
    Call your carrier and make sure you plan is provisioned correctly.
    New hardware
    New carrier

16. Jejas

Jejas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As people above already correctly pointed out, I am 98% sure the problem is with your carrier.

17. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you were to look at your monthly bill and tell us what "plan" it shows you have, maybe folks can help.

18. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So you cant answer a call, can you make one? Why not just call them back?

19. stev0ftw

stev0ftw Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This "$8/hr flunky" (actually, it's about 4x that, thank you...) can definitely tell you the problem lies with your budget wireless carrier. The wireless service out here in Vegas is spotty, and most of the major networks are finally investing in the infrastructure to provide for better building penetration and better coverage across the valley...

• Like Like x 1
  20. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You mentioned you have a Samsung freeform4 and roaming, have you checked these settings if applicable to your phone? (Below is from the online manual on the freeform4).

System Select allows you to set system selections for roaming.
    From the PHONE SETTINGS menu, select System Select.

Select one of the following:
    • Home Only: Your phone is only active in your home network’s coverage area. When outside the coverage area, your phone will not roam, and call functions and other features will not be available.
    Automatic: Your phone automatically acquires service based on default settings, using the Cricket network and the networks of roaming partners.

Or it could be your wireless carrier is the culprit - I'd escalate the problem while in Vegas until you find someone to resolve it for you.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.