1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

I'm going to hate myself at 3 AM when the alarm goes off!!

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Dec 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hate these options. We could either leave Milwaukee at 6:25 AM or 1:50 PM, which doesn't get us into Vegas until 4 PM. Our normal trip is 4 nights, almost always Fri-Tue. We only take non-stop flights.

I originally booked the 1:50 flight, but the more I thought about, that makes it like a 3 1/2 day trip. So I changed it to the 6:25 AM flight. I booked a Park & Stay across the street from the airport for Thursday night, but the more I thought about that, we'd still have to get up at 4:30 AM there, so was it worth $160 to sleep for another 1.5 hours? The hotel for one night, with parking for 5 days is $160.

Another place, also across the street offers parking for $8.50 per day, plus when you return, they bring the car around and warm it up, clean the windshield, brush off the snow, etc. Think Wisconsin in winter.:poke:

That means we have to get up and 3 AM (1 AM PST) to do the normal morning stuff and then take the hour drive to the airport. I'll hate it and grumble all the way to the airport. I am not a morning, damn middle of the night person. Plus the airport bars don't open until 6 AM, boarding begins at 6:05 and we got A21 & 22 for our EB booking. No Bloody for me before the flight.:thumbsdown:

That's it and wish us luck. No live reports from me. If it's an ugly trip like last month, there will not be a TR forthcoming. But, I'm hopeful that my luck will change.

Happy Holidays to everyone on VMB and may 2017 bring you all good luck!!:thumbsup:

A Christmas trip has kind of become a tradition for my wife and I and we make it a point to walk Fremont St on 12/26 in the morning and watch them get rid of everything Christmas to prep for NYE. Only in Vegas is the Holiday season over on 12/26.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mattyh

Mattyh Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck Joe!
    We just came back home from Vegas on Monday.

Matt in Chicago

3. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll be in the same boat on my next trip, took the 7am out of MSP because I couldn't beat the price(about $206 round trip). Enjoy.

4. runningonthehub

runningonthehub VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always want to be on the first flight out. I have no problem getting up at 3am to catch that 630am flight. going and coming home.
    I am retired and have no need to get up that early but for some reason, my body wakes me up at about 2-3am everyday.
    I am very accustomed to being an early riser.
    Hang in there Joe, it won't be that bad. Just think, there will be a lot of other people on that plane at the same time.

5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, no sweat. It's a planned trip, not like the phone range at that time with shitty news and you gotta beat feet and get moving. One of the guys in our annual golf group whines pretty much 365 in advance of departure day if he has to get up at 4 or 5a. There have been times he's largely missed the first day rather than book the early flight. We just smile and realize we're having a better getaway!

Have fun, Joe and Mrs. Joe!!

6. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best of luck! I would not get up at 3am for anything or body! You're right, of course, arriving late in the day pretty much wipes out one day of your stay!

7. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Right there with you Joe on that early early morning flight - hate getting up in the middle of the night but the pain is wiped away the minute wheels are down in Vegas with a whole day of daylight!
    Hoping you and your wife have a winning trip in every way - lucky dogs!

8. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same same Joe. To get the cheeeeeeep flight out of Dallas I have to LEAVE @ 3:00 so to drive a little slower and not meet head on with one of those over testosteroned roadside deer. It as stated above once the wheels touch down and especially after a mid-day nap in front of the television which is never planned (just resting my eyes) I am glad I made the decision.

Best of luck this time. I can feel it. And merry Christmas to you both.

9. ExVegasLocal

ExVegasLocal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm an early riser and I love tto take early flights. I always tell myself I'll that I'll have a full day in Vegas and turn in at my regular bed time. But once I get to Vegas, I sometimes (always) disregard my common sense and start having cocktails in the early afternoon. By time evening rolls around, I've got my drunk on and I don't feel tired. So, I don't end up stumbling to bed at about 2 am, having been up for 24 hours. A few hours later, my body tells me to get up. I try to fight it, but I can't. So for the whole next day, I feel horrible, and the whole day is wasted. I think taking the afternoon flight is the wiser choice. YMMV

10. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Early morning flight, then a nap at midday.

BTW, Wally Park is always on Groupon for $5.50 a day. By them on a 20% discount day and they are only $4.40 per day of valet parking. I love using them, as they have your car warmed up and running when the shuttle drops you off.

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
  11. TrewBrew

TrewBrew I may be right, I may be Crazy.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live the early flights heading out on vacation don't want to miss anything and early out of MKE is usually pretty easy with TSA. Wife on the other hand wants to sleep in on first day of vacation even if it's s travel day. So I get up early and pace around the house as she sleeps.

12. blkshirt

blkshirt High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can always bring mini bottles of vodka through security and get the mixer on the plane... Yeah it sucks I had to do that last Friday, the early flights suck but this was for work so no booze for me...

13. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for that tip. I'll look into it. We usually do Exec-Park for $7.50 a day with coupon. Same thing. They clean off the snow and warm it up.

14. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here's hoping for a great trip, Joe! Merry Christmas and enjoy!

Wake times/flight times are a personal preference. I always book the first flight out to Viva for several reasons:
    1. You get a full day once you land.
    2. Any travel issues with the airline/aircraft, you have a better chance of getting out and not be bumped or delayed too much.
    3. I get up at 4:00a every day for work, so my body is conditioned.

• Like Like x 1
  15. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We like the early morning flight out of MKE as long as I can park in the A lot of super saver parking. We also have a 1.5 hour drive from N. Ill but I just think about getting to LV at 8:30am or so and having all day.
    Joe, you and your wife have a good holiday and say hello to Jose, Oleg and Crystal from all of us at VMB! Hopefully this will be a turnaround gambling trip for you!!

Dead & Co with my son! June 4 or 5th - June 8th
  16. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    we did an east coast at 5:50am once. That means it was 2:50 Vegas time when we left, or just after midnight when we got up. We actually stayed up until mid evening and damn near fell asleep walking back to the room around 10pm after being up almost 24 hours.

17. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have a GREAT trip Joe! I've been having terrible luck this past month with later flights... go early, hate the alarm, but LOVE the on-time arrival. Phoenix last night was a total zoo. I know it's holiday season and that made things worse, as the airport was packed with wall to wall novice travelers and crying kids, but it took my 8 hours to get back to Reno from Phoenix yesterday... UGHHHH

18. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Travel isn't always convenient. If you want to see Australia, it's a long-ass flight and you are dead-dog beat when you get there but you damn well find a way to get to that evening and get on the local rhythm. And you know what? That next morn you wake up and you are in an awesome part of the world.

If the inconvenience of the flight or the drive somehow outweighs a desire to explore, stay home or just do the same thing that's been done over and over.

I've just never understood whining over what is required to START a vacation. You know it's coming. Adjust.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sky Harbor can be a real clusterfuck, smart. And I don't relish clearing customs there. Glad you're home. Merry Christmas!

20. daveg000

daveg000 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love that early flight, Nothing like pulling on to the strip at 9AM with a whole day ahead! Hit the Bacchanal buffet at Ceasars, for breakfast, Ride around town with low traffic, to see what's different, the only time I don't like it is at about 10PM, when I feel like I have been up 20 hours - because I have!

15 NIGHTS, 16 DAYS, May 8-23, MGM PK, GOLDN NUGGET, TIMESH, MANDALAY
    15 NIGHTS, 16 DAYS, May 8-23, MGM PK, GOLDN NUGGET, TIMESH, MANDALAY
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.