1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

LVRJ test of getting from airport to downtown

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Joe, Dec 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Four transportation modes put to test on trip from McCarran airport to downtown Las Vegas

http://www.reviewjournal.com/local/las-vegas/four-transportation-modes-put-test-trip-mccarran-airport-downtown-las-vegas

If you have a smart phone, the car services seem to be the way to go. But, he missed the WAX and didn't want to wait another hour to catch the next one. If he did catch it, he could have been downtown in 30 minutes for $2.

I also disagree with the driver who said always take the freeway, compared to surface streets.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Fet297

Fet297 113 survivor North Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for sharing Joe. I agree about the WAX, it is fast, cheap and painless. My wife is not a fan but it is my first choice if the timing is right. I never used a taxi in Vegas.

Lyft & Uber have been generally a good experience for us. Long hauled many times but still cheaper than other options except WAX to/from airport.

3. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very good report! I noticed that all three of the individually-hired services took the tunnel and the expressway. I would think that straight down Paradise to the Strip via St. Louis would be faster and cheaper, but I've never timed it.

This was my experience the one singular time I ever took a city bus in Las Vegas! It was slow, dirty, smelly, warm, and the people walking on the sidewalk often were out-pacing us! I find the bus to be handy in places such as Chicago and NYC (most of the time, that is) but not in LV. If I'm on a pleasure trip and paying for it myself, I want to get to the hotel ASAP so I'll do a shuttle or a taxi.

Speaking of which, I wonder why they did not also do one of the shuttle services? I assume they go downtown.

4. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    WAX is great for getting downtown for $2 ($1 over 60 or disabled). But, depends where staying and if you have luggage. It is a no no for us over 60 with luggage staying at MSS. Great for those staying around the D area.

5. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief Bottle Washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Life's to short to take the bus from McCarron to downtown,, I'll pony up the extra $10 and uber 100 times out of 100.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't realize how close the BTC was to Downtown. But I wonder how this walk would be in July or August?

7. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The WAX doesn't take nearly as long the Westcliffe. Why did they choose the 109? That is ridiculous.

Dead & Co with my son! June 4 or 5th - June 8th
  8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The WAX is the abbreviation for Westcliff Express. Same thing. He took the 109 because he missed the Westcliff Express (WAX) and would have to wait another hour for the next WAX bus.

9. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are correct, Paradise to St Louis is faster and cheaper.

10. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe I'm a snob, but life (and vacation time) is way too short to ride a stinking bus that I wouldn't dream of riding in my own city!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And since the whole thing was a test, not involving real travelers, missing the bus is a sham designed to mislead. They could have easily checked the schedule and made sure they didn't "just miss it". But then they wouldn't have been able to write about smelly buses and loads of locals slowing things down.

For travelers that try to watch their money(even though it is vegas), the wax is usually quick, easy and cheap.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same here! :)

13. jimshan

jimshan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i took the CX from terminal 3 last week, as it would have been 40 minutes till the next Wax. it goes a different rt, and takes about 10 minutes longer then the Wax. I walked out of the terminal and CX was there, $2 bucks and downtown in 40 mins. Not bad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.