1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Help wanted ad. No way to know if it is for real.

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Dec 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Johnzimbo

Johnzimbo VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love it. Remember to come back to work after lunch!

Annual me and Pete
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe needs one more line at the end:

Do not call collect! :D

RICHARD

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Frankr163

Frankr163 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can see it might be necessary in these "entitled, everybody gets a trophy "times.
    My wife is a GM for a food service company, and they just cannot fill open positions.
    They are upfront about pre-employment drug testing, yet 4 out of 5 fail a screening. In the event someone does pass and get hired, they start demanding paid time off for anything and everything before they are entitled.
    It is not uncommon for her to get calls about staff no shows or post lunch time disappearances.
    Just a different era for what passes as a work ethic these days. I worked for UPS for over 30 years and I missed maybe 5 days that weren't scheduled off.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would expect it is for real. All of the issues that are highlighted are surely real world.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SWMBO worked at a bank for 25 years and missed 4 hours in all those years.(She had a car wreck and still came to work in the pm.) She was salaried, but worked about 100 hours a week. She was unceremoniously dumped when they decided to close the branch she was at. See ya, wouldn't want ta be ya! So, it does work both ways,

7. Natural21

Natural21 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looks ligit to me....especially the cell phone part. When was the last time you were in a public place and DID NOT see someone with a cell phone in their hand? I'm sure we all know employers who can't find or keep decent workers. Sad situation.
    Good luck. :beer::beer:

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I get a chuckle out of this every time we are out for drinks or dining. It doesn't matter the size of the group. Two people or a large group and everybody on their phones. We can't relate. We have cell phones but they stay in the car for emergencies, or if we are traveling we'll carry one around in case we are meeting people.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I share your cell phone philosophy, Joe!
    My bride, that's another story...

RICHARD

10. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I work as a construction electrician. Like other skilled trades focus is important (especially electrical) and lack of it results in injury, fires, even death.

What was stated in the ad is sad, but very prevalent nowadays. I've been called "the asshole foreman" at work, that I'm an ass kisser to the bosses. No. I let those guys go because I'm doing them a favor before they get killed or kill somebody else. I'm doing it for the other crew members who do try to pursue a safe, professional environment.

This is done after exhaustive re-enforcement of safety rules, job expectations, and code of conduct. If all else fails it's time for them to go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    People still put want ads in the paper?

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of my clients in the LV area runs two facilities where they do have the need to take on many short-term entry level people at times. Although I have absolutely nothing to do with the hiring and firing, I frequently hear stories from the managers and floor supervisors which are reminiscent of the job posting above. Their number one cause for termination is blatant no-call no-show job abandonment! It is VERY frequent and not only not showing up in the morning or after lunch but things like "I'm gonna make a quick run to CVS for some Sudafed" and never returning.

To answer the question, yes, the ad is most definitely real and tells it like it is.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Onmyown32

Onmyown32 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cell phones we normally don't play on when we are at dinner out or out in general however on vacation if connection in the room isn't good I've been known to quickly check work emails before we get our meal. I think it's Ballys in Vegas I can not get a decent Verizon signal from the jubilee rooms so did so before breakfast

14. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would imagine this list comes from the previous occupants of the vacant position. Even for low-to-no skill positions, these are kind of fundamentals.

'Cause once per annum is insufficient...
  15. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My mom runs job training programs at her agency. Some programs include modules on taking your ass to work everyday and how to comport yourself at work. So, yes, the ad is real. These are things I was taught at home but they don't really teach it in schools now and in situations of generational poverty, folks don't have role models around to show the way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    People still read the paper?

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    re: Cell Phones.

The ad was about using cell phones at WORK - not while out dining, etc.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What's the paper?

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our company was hamstrung by not being able to find the people we needed. We were in the business of building office cubes and doing office moves.

We started people with zero knowledge at $15/hour and couldn't fill our vacant positions. We didn't require a high school diploma and with O/T $50K a year was fairly doable. 401K, medical, dental, and vision insurance.

Eventually we had to give up hiring and use temp agency help as our labor subcontractors. That left us with close enough to a zero profit margin and we just called it quits. We had been in business almost thirty years.

........and yes, when we were at the hiring any warm body that came in and filled out an application point the no shows no calls were frequent, texting all day, no driver's licenses, it was brutal.

However.......we were in the Seattle area so the people we needed, the "hands" people that were any where near qualified went to Boeing or in to the building trades, and started in the high twenty dollars an hour range.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  20. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now that's just sad.

'Cause once per annum is insufficient...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.