1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Time for new luggage

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by shokhead, Dec 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mine is at least 15 years old and I know things like rollers have changed so some suggestions on brands and why one or the other type of rollers would be great.

2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess part of it is tied to carry on vs checked.

Still, I am of the type that gets less expensive items. If they wear out or get abused, I do not worry about repair. Not dirt cheap stuff, just not fancy high priced.

I know some love the 4 wheeled things, but we are happy with wheels on one side. They drag along just fine as we travel around the world. The 4 -wheeled ones have less storage space when looking at carryon.

I also am big at how much they weight EMPTY. No sense getting something that is already heavy before you start using it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I splurge on my golf travel case, but all else is a set from Costco that as stress suggests is utilitarian and readily expendible if it comes to that.

4. Kobra2848

Kobra2848 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bought a Travelpro Crew 10 earlier this year and it has worked great on the two trips it's been on. I went with a 25" so I wouldn't have to worry about going over the 50 lb limit which happened quite often with my old 29". I purchased it at Macy's for around $120 bucks. It is superlight and rolls easily and after tagging it to make it easier to spot on the carousel I think it's going to work fine.

Mark

5. martinr

martinr Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Speaking of tagging luggage, I just got the VMB luggage tags that I ordered. Those are the heaviest duty plexi that I've ever seen. Only thing I found odd is there is no way to put your info on them. No pull out card , etc to write on. But, they're really eye-catching and I got them on sale really cheap.

First Time Staying on the South End. Will I Hear Southern Accents?
  6. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tumi, Tumi, Tumi. It's the last bag you'll ever need to buy!!!!!

Tumi Alpha Bravo wheeled.

I got my carry on from "the D"

Expensive, but worth it!!! $600 but discounted to $350, and paid for with comp points!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  7. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get the cheap stuff from Walmart or Target.. usually on black Friday. I love my carry on, it is hard sided, can expand, and has the 4 wheels which is way nicer than the 2 wheeled ones! the only thing it does not have is any outside pockets for quick access things..

8. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I buy my luggage at Marshalls or Ross. My Delsey carry on has been on over 50 flights and still looks and works great. It was like $60. No way I'd spend over $100 on a piece of luggage.

9. MWJ51102

MWJ51102 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I buy mine there too. High quality at a lower price. They always have unique luggage there too, so it's easily identifiable.

Bought my first 4-wheeler there a few weeks ago. Love the way you can wheel it standing up next to you or pull behind like a traditional bag, but I'm sure the wheels break off much easier.

10. ams722

ams722 Side Bet Shunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah... Marshalls or TJ Maxx is the way to go. Plenty of options, and good brands too.

I bought a big bright green Delsey hard case at Marshalls for like $80. I love it cause it's so easy to spot at baggage claim.

11. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love/Hate Luggage.
    I WANT to check bags, but I HATE waiting in lines.

Now I travel light.
    I use under-seat bags or carry-ons exclusively.

For Frontier I use a Ricardo Beverly Hills Rolling Office weekender ($ unknown)
    For Spirit Airlines I ended up using a American Tourister Atmosphera II ($40@Wal-Mart)
    For Delta I use the Ricardo underseat bag
    For Southwest Airlines I use a Travelon Underseat Rolling Carryon ($95)

For Southwest, I used to use a HUGE Ralph Lauren Polo Sport ($200) that barely fit under the size requirement.
    I stopped using it because weight was always a problem.

I'm really tough on luggage.
    I don't buy the "good stuff" anymore.
    Middle-of-the-road suits me just fine now.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mdm4sfest

mdm4sfest VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  13. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got a TravelPro 21"/25" set from Macys a couple years ago that I've been pleased with. The only knock was I couldn't find a matching flight bag in their line to match it but I found a close match to it.

As for the VMB tag, I use mine to identify my bag like others do ribbons. You could probably add an address label to the back as well.

14. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Zazzle, the company who produces them, allows customization on the back for you address and what not. I had some made for myself a couple of years ago from them. It gets a few comments from time to time.

I'll mention it to @Sonya and see if we can get some default text on the back of them to make it easier to add a name and address.

15. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My previous bag was a 29" drag-behind Skyway I got on special from eBags several years ago. I liked it well enough to pick up the carry on version the next yearchive. After several flights, the supports for the wheels were buckling and I could tell it was a matter of time before it would be a true drag-behind...

Earlier this year, I got a promo from Target and picked up a 29" Skyline hard sided spinner relatively cheap. It's quite sturdy ando I really don't know how I traveled without a spinner bag before. SOOOOOO much easier to get around with that. Needless to say, Target had a 40% off luggage promotion last week and I picked up the carry on version of this one as well. :thumbsup:

16. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was so embarrassed on my first Vegas trip with my Mom.
    Her luggage was so old....

Samsonite - 1970's Red, Hardsided & Heavy. Like 5 pieces of it.
    I bought her new luggage right away for the next trip.
    Now I wish I'd kept her old stuff.
    I had no idea it would end up being collectible!

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I order all my luggage sets from Macys. Beautiful sets.

I currently have sets of DVF, London Fog and TravelPro. All spinners.

18. Drewm1972

Drewm1972 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I recently purchased some decent ones Bric's X Bag carry on, check in and duffle ones. Bit on higher end ones but very light and durable

19. ChilliPalmer

ChilliPalmer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tumi for sure. Spend some time in a store or researching online. Unique features that are really valuable. Reliable and strong.

20. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I prefer a cardboard box with twine or rope tied around it. I sometimes cover it with a dirty white sheet to give it that" third world dont touch look".
    Seriously,the denier of luggage is the rating given to the tightness of the weave You want 1600 in soft side luggage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.