1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Lyft long hauled to Flamingo

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by surf87, Nov 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bubbakitty, take a look at the phone snapshot in the original post. At the bottom, you'll see a time and distance measurement. That makes up the rate along with the initial pickup fee and lyft/uber fee. Long hauling still costs more even though it's still less than taking a taxi, even going non tunnel.

Here's a related tipping question. How much do you tip. After the ride, they make it easy for you to rate and tip the driver. Pre selected buttons for no tip, $1, $2 and I think $4 or $5. I've always tipped $2 except the one who long hauled me. What about you?

2. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While some drivers may "long haul" you, I think many do, in fact, follow their GPS for lack of knowledge. The drivers I had last trip barely spoke English, but happily I was able to communicate with them, being multi-lingual. Most seem to be trying to get extra money to live, so I usually tip them five bucks cash, and nothing on the app. Hopefully that doesn't make me seem like a skinflint to the Lyft honchos! I figured the driver would prefer a fiver in the hand. Only time I had difficulty was going from Flamingo to Luxor night of marathon. Took almost and hour and cost $25 even after the $5 discount. We couldn't get to the front entrance, happily I spotted the small sign indicating the back entrance! The poor driver was beside himself and was going around in circles for a bit! I will avoid the day of the marathon in the future- or at least pick shows within walking distance!

3. Sniff009

Sniff009 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have had a similar experience. Arrived to LV at 7am on a Saturday, so very light traffic. A Korean woman taxi long hauled me to Flamingo and the price was $19.50 (Took LV Blvd instead of Paradise/Swenson to Koval to the back of Flamingo. She even reminded me of tip at the end (I am also Asian even though she knows I was born in the US). I handed her a $20 and walked off and she complained. I said to her as I walked away, "Take the better quicker route, get more tip."

However most drivers I have experienced are pretty cool. As another poster said here, he/she would rather tip in cash than through the application, which saves them some paperwork...I tend to pay with the credit card at restaurants and tip in cash.

4. Hurr1cane310

Hurr1cane310 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just want to throw my 2 cents in as I have driven for Uber and Lyft before. Not in Vegas, but their pay actually is probably worse than my city. First of all, unless someone is very familiar with the city or a very experienced driver, they are going to follow the GPS 99% of the time. For me, I knew my city like the back of my hand, but I still followed the GPS. It is just easier. Also had it once where I took a wrong turn in a suburb I wasn't too familiar with. The passenger got angry, so guess what, I am blaming the GPS to try and save myself from an awkward argument I don't really need for $5.

Second, Lyft and Uber drivers really don't make much. Lyft will take 25-30% of that fare. Then they have to cover expenses. I stopped driving because you could barely make minimum wage doing it. Search the internet and you will find thousand of people complaining about the pay. Be happy there are still drivers willing to do it. Both of these companies are hoping self-driving cars come out sooner rather than later and will pay their drivers shit until that happens.

Last, the rating system is a joke. Most people will think 4 out of 5 stars is good but if your rating falls below 4.7 you will start getting emails about deactivation. Low 4's can definitely get you deactivated. Their isn't a lot of wiggle room in it. So I guess I am saying that we should all cut our drivers a little slack if they take a longer route. Most are probably doing this because they are out of work right now. They are just going to follow the GPS and hope the ride is pleasant enough that you don't rate them badly.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mandinga

Mandinga Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I took a lyft from the Taylormade Experience to The Cromwell and the drivers GPS wanted him to take the Freeway. We went straight up the strip instead. I think a lot drivers do go off of what the GPS says, if it uses Google it will give you the fastest route. Time wise it would have probably been a little faster, distance wise I think the strip was a .5 mile closer.

6. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

If it is such a pain then why do it? I'm sorry but I won't cut anyone slack just because the gps says to long haul you through the tunnel. We warn cab drivers not to use the tunnel so why not lyft and uber drivers? They should follow the same rules as cabbies and not use the tunnel to long haul passengers.

I guess lyft and uber aren't that great a thing for the drivers. Yeah, saves the passengers some money but if it is such a pain then best to find another job. When lyft and uber can't find drivers then maybe they might relax their rules but also set up or train the drivers to not long haul passengers.

I do understand about the GPS, in many cities they don't take the "best" or fastest or easiest route so it is easy to think you are being long hauled, guess that's why most people will tell the driver where and how to get to their destination.

Guess that's why I rent a car when I'm in vegas nowadays, I don't want to deal with cabbies and long haulers.

:soapbox: Sorry, I will get off my soap box now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Kobra2848

Kobra2848 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I loaded the Lyft app for my trip earlier this month with every intention of using it for the first time. After getting our luggage I was unsure where the pick-up location was and by that time the wife was saying lets just take a cab. I guess we have been very lucky in that on all of our cab rides they have taken to correct way to Planet Hollywood and most trips have been the cab drivers have been pleasant.

Mark

8. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When we went back to the airport the last trip we took uber from PH. It was $9.78. If it would have been $12.78 it would have still been a lot better than $15-20 for a cab. I am not saying that the drivers shouldn't take the best routes but it looks like from the experiences of most board members it is a cost savings to use uber or lyft. Some people are just looking for a reason to be unhappy, I think the OP was not that upset about the $3. I was reluctant to use uber the first time, but my first experience was good.

• Like Like x 1
  9. vsop

vsop VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You get an "estimated" fare...the final fare is definitely time and distance sensitive....the more stop lights you catch and/or the longer the route, the higher the final fare...not to hijack this topic but, one thing I'm more aware of now when using Lyft/Uber is to make sure the driver starts the "meter" after I'm in the car...

10. duffer1991

duffer1991 Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just have a few thoughts. Having been to Las Vegas dozens of times, I now just rent a car when I am there. I stay mostly off-strip or downtown and can generally get a car for about $15 per day, including taxes. I just have to monitor the sites to get a good rate -- really not complicated. I enjoy the freedom and independence.

I was once long-hauled in a taxi going to the Stratosphere . Other than that, I have had no real problems with taxi, Uber or Lyft in Las Vegas. But let me comment on my biggest issue with the posts: Why will you quietly let someone screw you over and then TIP?!?! on top of it. If you believe (naively) that they are just following GPS, then do as you please. But getting tunneled to Flamingo or other places is not acceptable. I am a compassionate and generous man, but if you reward bad behavior, why would you assume that they will change. If you don't want the driver to lose his/her job, then tell him/her to stop ripping off customers. If the job is miserable or pays poorly, then find something else. It is not my job to subsidize someone who has a bad job and does it poorly. If they don't like it, then as Mr. Pink said in "Reservoir Dogs": "Learn to f***ing type."

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There's a new post on TA that someone said he rated the driver 3 stars and wrote down comments that driver took the long route (ie. tunnel) and within 5 minutes, Lyft texted him saying he was refunded $5 and change. Impressive customer service from Lyft given he was refunded 6 minutes after he got out of the car.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I note the OP stated the fare estimate was 11-14 dollars. The ride was 14 and some change, don't think that constitutes long hauling first off. Secondly, most drivers, myself included will follow GPS unless the rider wants to give specific instructions. If I follow the GPS, the rider cannot later say I was ripping them off. Uber/Lyft track the route taken and will be able to take action if the driver is ripping people off. As for the comment about making sure the driver does not start the meter until your in the car, Uber starts charging you wait time at the two minute mark, Lyft after one minute. Some drivers will start the trip the minute your luggage is in the trunk and end it once its out of the trunk. I personally wait until the rider is in the seat, if multiple people are riding, as soon as one is in the car, the meter starts. Its a whopping 13-18 cents a minute for wait.

These are people using their own car to make a few bucks and save you some change. Guess what, they are not making a living wage. I have days I make enough to fill my tank and I live in one of the cities that charges the most.

13. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    no matter what it says in the estimate taking the tunnel is long hauling. thats all that matters

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Foos

Foos High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A good friend of mine is a Uber driver, he makes GREAT money, 6 months ago he bought a brand new $70K Lexus and gets to write off pretty much the whole thing off his taxes.
    At least in the Mpls area they make great money.

15. Edserv

Edserv Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got long-hauled last trip. So any future Lyft rides will start with "no tunnel," or better yet, directions for the fastest trip.

16. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    your estimate was $11-$14...you came in at your estimated $11, tip is not included in your estimate...there was no long-hauling here...here is my trip from aiport to ballys right next door, right around $11...even if the ride was $14, an average cab ride there is $17 plus tip

[​IMG]

17. Hurr1cane310

Hurr1cane310 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would be willing to bet 90% of drivers do it for 6 months or less. I did it for 3 months. Because it was such a pain in the ass, I stopped, but I wouldn't know it was without trying. I just did it for extra money, which is why most people do it. Otherwise they do it if they lost a job. It is almost impossible to do as a full time gig.

I also wasn't saying you shouldn't tell the driver to take a different route. I was just explaining the drivers rationale for following GPS. Also I want to point out there is no training or real vetting process for Uber and Lyft. Lyft is a little better as it requires you to do a mentor session. These take about a half hour and you drive with a "Mentor" and they inspect your car. With Lyft, I submitted my documents (insurance, ID, etc.), did a background check, then the mentor session. All in all in took almost two weeks to get approved.

With Uber I submitted the same documents and 30 minutes later I could drive. I say all of this to just point out that your Uber driver could have lived in LV for two weeks and have no idea where they are going. That is why they follow GPS.

18. Hurr1cane310

Hurr1cane310 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do a search for "What do Uber drivers make" and you will be hard to find a success story. At least one that isn't made up. Your friend may make a lot of money, but I promise you he is working hard for it. His hourly rate is more than likely low, he probably just puts in a TON of hours. Hopefully with that car he is at least driving Uber Select or Black. Either way, he won't be too happy when the car depreciates in value so much from all the miles he puts on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.