1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Other Vegas message board question

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by VegasAddict, Dec 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VegasAddict

VegasAddict MIA

This has always been my favorite board, but I don't post near as much anymore. However, back when I was really active here, I was somewhat active at another board. I haven't even checked that board in so long, I forgot the name of it.

It has/had a mod or owner I believe they called Gene. He tried to turn the board more into a Myspace website and lost a lot of the base. Does anyone remember the name of this place? If you can't post it here, can you message it to me? Thanks.

2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was on there too, kinda jumped ship to here mainly because the activity died. I don't remember the name and I don't see it in the bookmarks here at home. I'll check tomorrow at the office if nobody else remembers as I'm sure I have it bookmarked there.

3. GeorgeandTheBear

GeorgeandTheBear High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gene passed away several months ago. A couple of very active, well liked members, Rhonda and Moi also passed away. The site is still there, but a ghost town.

4. VegasAddict

VegasAddict MIA

Thanks to both of you for the help.

George, thanks for the private message. That's crazy to hear about all the members that have passed away. I remember Rhonda now that you bring her up -- she had a son in the military, right?

5. GeorgeandTheBear

GeorgeandTheBear High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not sure about her son. I wasn't very active there, but would check in maybe once a month to see if anything had changed. I wonder if someone actually killed Gene.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. hail2skins

hail2skins VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, the site is openvegas.com. I remember it started out as lasvegastalk.com, and I joined in the 1998 timeframe. It was a pretty active board for a while. A man named Gary (lived in Vegas) was a big presence on the site......he probably took the board a bit too seriously (and there were folks who would bash him), but I met him a few times and he seemed like a good dude. Attended a few of the board meets and met some nice folks there as well.

Sorry to hear about the folks passing away. RIP to Gene, but his online persona made him out to be somewhat of a jerk. Remember people over there started a thread mourning the loss of someone who had been active on several boards, and Gene commented that he didn't understand the love for the guy because he hadn't posted on openvegas that frequently. That really got under my skin.

7. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever LasVegas4ever.com

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Irish Mick died the summer of 08. Gene had his nose out of joint because he was spending time at my place.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Marilyn

Marilyn Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was called Open Vegas, still is called that. It went right down hill, no activity. Also Gene died awhile ago.

9. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to go there, remember gene well...and yes he was a jerk, he ruined the place, overbearing, banned people for no reason, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  10. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, you guys are bringing back memories of the old boards!! I remember Gene, an "interesting" fella. His rants would crack me up, very territorial.

I remember a lot of folks from LasVegasTalk and OpenVegas. Just to name a few: FranktheWebmaster, Sivled, Tolovana, JackfromColumbus, PattinOntario, BigCheese. I know I am going way back! I wonder who is still around from the LVT and OV boards.

11. vegasmeister

vegasmeister Tourist

Wasn't Rhonda a Las Vegas realtor?

12. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe she was,she answered a lot of questions for folks.I read that board daily for quite awhile.some great TR's..I do remember the owner wanting the readers to do this or that and that slowed the board activity a lot.Site also would be full of viruses from time to time.Can't say I miss it at all.

13. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So sorry to hear of all of the passings! :( Please value your life and your health, gang!

I did have it bookmarked and I checked it out a bit earlier this morning. My username and password did not work (saved in the local browser) and a note said that some of them got scrambled during an upgrade. It wanted my email for password recovery and I can't for the life of me remember which I used (I have several, all of the usual suspects plus private home and work email plus my alumni email) and I'm not interested enough to plug all of them in hoping that one works. Looking at the dates of the recent posts, the activity is not any better than I remember when I quit checking it regularly.

I started doing that site when the old Usenet alt.vacation.las-vegas got too noisy and many of the regulars jumped ship to it. It was very active for a while but it seemed like most everyone kinda migrated over here. I can remember steering a few others (LOL, including one who caught a lot of flak both there and on Usenet) over here as well.

14. sconnie

sconnie Downtown Kinda Guy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wasn't Gary a mime who worked conventions etc. I recall meeting him once at a trade show I was working at and attending.

15. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, yes! I remember Gary the Mime. He attended most of the board meets too.

16. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was on that site years ago as well but it got way too hostile so I moved here.
    The one guy seemed to be a bit Bi-Polar or something! He was always acting out.

17. bigdogmom

bigdogmom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was quite active on LVTalk "back in the day"; sometime after it changed to OpenVegas I swear it gave me a computer virus so never went back. I attended a few meets and still have friends from that board. Some have migrated here.

I was on this board first, and it will always be my first love, LOL.

18. bigdogmom

bigdogmom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OMG, the memories!! Sivled, LOL! I remember I got into a huge pissing match with Irish ERRN once in the off-topic forum. I still keep in touch with bkfromEncino, CathyinBoston, and a few others.

19. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was a regular on that site many years ago but also left because of Gene. I for one do not feel any sadness about Gene's passing, I feel he got what he deserved. He was an asshole. While everyone had to follow his rules he felt he was above it all and didn't have to follow his rules. He also said that if you didn't like it you could go elsewhere so most of us left.

His site tanked with him in charge and eventually Rhonda took over the site to try to get it going again. Unfortunately we all moved elsewhere and didn't really support the site, there was too much hatred toward Gene and his association with the site.

Too bad about Rhonda passing, she was a nice person and had to put up with a lot of crap from Gene.

Better enjoy reading this thread because I think it will be deleted soon (since they don't really want to talk about other sites).

• Like Like x 1
  20. jimshan

jimshan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i was a regular on that sight as well. Went to 3 or 4 meet ups. Usually the week after the Rodeo in December. Also one or two in the summer. I took a year off from going to Vegas to do some other travelling, and didn't log on to the board for about 6 months. When i logged back on is when the name and format had changed and things kind of died out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.