1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What Was Your Worst Subject In High School?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Breeze147, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WHITEJACKET73

WHITEJACKET73 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I struggled with algebra all through high school. My senior year I barely passed my senior math class which included some trigonometry(totally clueless). My teacher was "Fish Lips" Habeck...what an ass. Thing of it was, the next year I aced my college freshman algebra classes and got an "A" in trigonometry...go figure.

2. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    handwriting! yes we had handwriting classes back then, and like art, either you are good at it, or you are not. I don't think you can force someone to have good penmanship. government and history classes did not hold my attention well, but I was always able to do well on most exams.

3. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Close Jerseyguy, St.Rose for me and Manasquan HS for my sis.

4. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I sure don't remember handwriting classes at the high school level.

5. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "Paradise Lost" should have been expunged from the high school canon a hundred years ago. I never taught it.

Although I lack the aptitude for theoretical math, and would have struggled with it had Sir Isaac Newton stood before me, my enjoyment or dislike of classes generally centered on the instructor. What I was looking for were love of and deep knowledge of the subject, the ability to give students a way in- that is, to get them to engage with the material and see why it mattered, fairness, and lack of bullshit. Oh, and a reasonable level of intelligence. Some of my teachers- and later cohorts- were pretty dumb.

6. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed there, the mode and the message. All these years removed I have very sharp -- and warm -- memories of Glen Jackson, who taught "Civics," but in a very substantive and outside-the-text manner. His Constitutional class, "Rights and Responsibilities," should be required of today's cadre of imbecilic politicians. And when I finally pulled my head out of my ass in college, settling on what was to be a career as a historian/cultural studies, it was a couple professors, more than just the field of study, who set me on that path.

7. CaliMike

CaliMike “My home away from home”

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mines wehr englishe and speling?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is ironic.

My worst class was English. I just didn't get that you could come up with a bunch of stupid ideas about some book or something, make a case for what you point of view was, and write all that shit down and that it would have any value whatsoever.

So I started a blog.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I shouldn't, but I will.

I do. :evillaugh:

Just kidding. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever LasVegas4ever.com

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Math
    Detest it
    Had to be dragged through kicking and screaming

• Like Like x 1
  11. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was bad at subjects involving remembering, so history and chemistry. But I was good at things I could figure out like any math and physics.

Sad to say, thanks to smoking too much weed in last year of high school and college, I never learned calculus. But in my first year of college I did well in Boolean algebra without studying.

• Like Like x 1
  12. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    J'ever look back on HS stuff...what you were good at / what you hated...and end up a complete 180 years down the road? Hated algebra but software development is 'bout near all algebra. Took an aptitude test for the Army, while in eleventh grade, and they said you're fine for anything but electronics and computers. After a twenty-odd year career in software development, I've been meaning to call the Army and ask about those test results. It's funny how things work out.

13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And that's the takeaway from this thread, Dean, so many on the road that should not have been taken, but thankfully it was.

14. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Everything, hated school and hated all my teachers. Not sure how I even passed anything. Always in trouble at home and at school. Now I am a teacher with two graduate degrees in education and love teaching, also love all my students! I think I learned how to teach by what I did not enjoy in school if that makes sense.

15. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    sorry mam, I went back too far. don't beat me up.

16. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a co-worker once who attended St. Louis HS where we live. It's a Catholic private school and they had to attend handwriting (penmanship) class.

I found this out only because I admired his handwriting. He said the nuns who ran the class were very strict.

17. jon_vegas

jon_vegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did well in all my classes except for 2 - math. :)

18. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I won't beat you up! :) I just don't remember any of the Evil Librul Public high schools I went to teaching handwriting as a subject.

Speaking of which, I understand that many (grade) schools are dropping formal instruction in cursive handwriting. How does someone learn to sign his/her name? (I don't know, I'm asking.)

And, they are phasing out "typing" classes as well. "Keyboarding" is the new title. :)

19. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think they may be scaling back on demanding cursive writing. It's still going to be taught, but the days of handwriting papers has long since faded. I remember taking typing in high school, and the miracle of modern technology: The IBM Correcting Selectric!

20. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And at some point horseless carriages became known as cars. Not sure why we have to give up perfectly functional names like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.