1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

nyc bans airbnb

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by paperposter, Nov 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    u can no longer rent for less than 30 days

i belive theres some type of law deppending were u rent from also in las vegas/ clark county to stop mansion
    parties and the condos already have board rules in effect making airbnb illegal

2. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live in NYC, in Queens. There's a relatively new rental building next to me, they original wanted to be condos but they weren't selling. The rumor is that there's a few airbnbs in there. Late at night I'll see young people arrive with luggage.

3. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
  4. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    http://nypost.com/2016/11/27/airbnb-horror-story-should-scare-you-out-of-renting-in-nyc/

A dream Thanksgiving vacation in the Big Apple turned into The Nightmare before Christmas for a California couple whose Airbnb reservation went bust.

Annette van Duren, a 63-year-old talent agent from LA, and her producer-husband, Alan Sacks, 73, used Airbnb on Oct. 21 to book a Chelsea apartment for a 10-day stay. They shelled out $2,081, or $170 per night plus a $45 cleaning fee and a $166 Airbnb service charge.

The couple was unaware that on the same day they booked, Gov. Cuomo signed a bill that would impose fines of up to $7,500 against hosts who posted short-term rentals, or that renting out whole apartments for less than 30 days had been illegal in NYC since 2010.

5. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The story is titled "Airbnb Horror Story" but I don't think it's all that horrific:

The couple arrived at the apartment building where they were staying and when a resident confronted them they pretty much fessed up about the Airbnb thing... the resident probably then went and reported the apartment owner renting out their apartment to the buildings manager/supervisor/landlord/etc.
    --> I can honestly say that if it were me and I found out the people across the hall were renting out their place as an Airbnb I'd do everything in my power to put a stop to it. I'm just not going to feel safe and happy in my home with random strangers being given a key or code to the building.

Since the couple wasn't discreet (IE: saying "I'm staying with my nephew _____ in apartment ___") to the resident the apartment owner was contacted by the building and had to put an end to the situation.

The couple had to move, which kind of sucks, but it sounds like the people at Airbnb offered up a refund and then put in an effort to find them a new place to stay... the couple instead chose to stay at a hotel that gouged them on the price.
    --> The amount they had to pay for one night at a Holiday Inn is getting close to "horrific" but its not really Airbnb's fault that the couple was gouged by a low end hotel chain taking advantage of the situation.

So didn't really seem like a "horror story" but then I guess if the title of the article was "Airbnb couple inconvenienced by new New York law" it wouldn't get as many views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.