1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest Tier Points question

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by mdee, Nov 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm real close to earning a Companion Pass but I'm not exactly sure how those points are rewarded.
    I need to know how much more money I'll have to charge on my SWA Card for non Airline purchases.
    Can someone explain the Tier vs Rewards points? And the $Dollar Ratio? Thanks!

2. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It should show you on Southwest on rapid rewards. Just sign in at Southwest and go to your account. Mine has "points needed for next companion pass"

3. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It takes 110,000 points total, which I think you have to get before this month statement closes. I think everything you earn after that goes on next year.

4. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is key. You need 110,000 between the first of the year and the end of the year. Do not come up short. Not sure what the difference is with "non airline purchases". I am pretty sure that spend is spend.

As said above, the current total shows on your online account. Not positive, but I think any spend since you last bill is not in that total.

Not sure they even use the term "reward credits".

5. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe I can ask this a different way...
    If I needed say only 1,000 points to make Companion how much will that cost? $1,000? Or more?
    I ask because I'm under the impression you receive 1,500 TIER Points per $10K Spent.
    Not talking about Rewards Points just the Tier Points to earn Companion. I'm very close!

Thanks

6. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You get 1 pt for every dollar spent.

7. worldtraveler

worldtraveler Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For companion pass, you need to have 110,000 points(reward points) or 100 qualifying flights in a calendar year. Reward points are generally 1 per $1 unless you are spending with partner affiliates. E.g. Spending on Choice hotels gets me 2 points per $1. There are other programs to earn points like rapid rewards shopping and rapid rewards dining.

The 1500 bonus per $10000 spend is for tier points that count towards A list and not companion pass.

8. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I was 1000 $'s short I would make reservations as far as the calendars allowed. Once charged to the card you can cancel in April or whenever and have until December of 2017 to use your refunded $'s for travel. Haven't done it as yet as never been that close. But as Spock might observe "It would only seem logical".

9. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $1000 spent on anything will get you 1000 points. (there are some multipliers, but make 100% sure you are right on those)

Getting close on the spend? Other than the fake reservations for next year, there are more legit ways. Buy Amazon, Walmart, Gas, Grocery store gift cards. It is spend now that you can use later. We built up maybe 500,000 miles last year to use on a RTW trip in business and did the Southwest early last year so we go the companion pass for about 22 months.

Sadly for this poster, he will probably qualify in early December, so he gets the rest of this year (few weeks) and all of next year. Bad timing, but still better than a punch in the eye.

(and for anyone doing fake reservations, but fully refundable tickets)

10. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The pass is good for 1 year right? So it shouldn't matter when I receive it as long as I get it before Jan 1st!
    When I started this thread I needed over a 1,000 points. As of this morning I was 49 points shy! All paid up!
    Time to designate my companion!

11. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Pass is good for the rest of year earned and the whole next year after, expiring Dec 31. So it is possible to earn it for 23 months max. Easiest way is with new SW card and getting 50,000 points. I got 2 (1 regular and 1 business 60,000 points) and mine expires end of this year, and will have had about 18 months and 5 RT to Vegas from Tampa.
    If you get 1 and wife gets 1 it does not help. Can't combine points for companion pass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.