1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What if you can’t deduct your losses?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by oghuman, Nov 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oghuman

oghuman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There’s talk about changing tax rules. I get about 20+ W-2Gs each year anywhere from $1,200 to $15K hits. I rarely have a winning year. The win totals usually mess up some of my other deductions like medical and Medicare insurance because they're on page 1. Luckily now I can still offset my winnings. However, what happens if they don’t allow the deduction, I’m not sure what I’ll do. I play almost all VP now. Maybe I’ll play more table games. What would you do?

2. meyers67

meyers67 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why wouldn't they allow the deduction? You said you have net losses right?

Just add up all of your W-2gs and put them on page 1, and put an equal deduction on your schedule A itemized deductions.

You are right that it could mess up other desucruons slightly. And if you live in a state with income tax then the deduction of losses don't help on the state returns.

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the OP means what happens if they stop allowing losses to offset winnings, but I haven't seen or heard any talk of that. I did read there was talk of making the W2G threshold $500 instead of the current $1,200.

4. oghuman

oghuman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Staying away from politics. There is talk about doing away with various other deductions and changing the future tax structure overall. It has nothing to do with what's in place now or any specific talk. It's doubtful, but anything can happen.

5. meyers67

meyers67 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gotcha - so if we're talking about potential changes, then really anything can happen.

6. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We could either win or lose with future federal tax laws.

7. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly. I find it is not worth even spending 1 minute on issues like this.

- it takes ages to get laws changed
    - it then usually takes some time before it is enacted
    - when it does happen ( I doubt it will) - then I will decide what to do - which would be what I have already started doing - playing lower limit machines and less playing.

Yes, it sucks - it even impacts ACA since that income goes on the first page and as a result, we do not get assistance. Same as medicare.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.