1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

C'mon United to charge to use overhead bin on some fares

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Joe, Nov 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    so just like Frontier, Spirit then? I bet I still won't be able to board any faster than before

3. sconnie

sconnie Downtown Kinda Guy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    United is on my "naughty list" already for bending us over when my 13.8 year old son flew direct ORD-BOI and they hit us with a $150 each way "unaccompanied minor" charge that was never mentioned when booking the flight. Burning up the FF miles on them and they are dead to me from this point on unless they're the only airline that will fly a route that I "just have to be on". Shame, I used to fly them monthly.....

This is just another crappy policy that makes Southwest look better and better.

JW

4. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    same as american ,there doing it becuase delta did it a while ago and made a ton off money ,its there way too compete with low fare airlines

there setting up a low fare class just like spirit air

5. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you board last becuase u bought the lowest price ticket tier

6. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Its no surprise since competitors such as Spirit, Frontier, and Allegient have done this. It's a race to the bottom.

For the first time in a long time, I flew on United last week to Chicago. The fare was $200 round trip from Philly, about $100 less than American, but I didn't want to pay for an upgraded seat so I picked an aisle seat in the last row. Ended up in boarding group 5. Got to the gate very early and asked if there were any upgrades to an exit row, was told it would cost me $49. Forget it. I tried to board early by slipping into group 3, but Nurse Ratched was taking tickets and gave me the boot to the end of the line. I felt like Ping the duckling, but laughed it off. I think before they called group 5 they asked if there were any red haired Polish Indians that had not boarded, or anyone else deserving of a better boarding position. Finally I got on and there was space for my carry on.

Like everything else in life, you get what you pay for. These new add on charges will just make comparison shopping more difficult, but I have a pencil and paper and can cypher wearing mittens and with my shoes on. I can't do a damn thing about these nonsense add on fees, but I can vote with my dollars. Let the games begin.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think that the airfare would have to be SUPER low, like $39 to Las Vegas (from the SF Bay Area) for me to even consider it.

SWA is only charging nominally (one way as low as $59) and you still have carry on and free checked baggage.

8. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you don't understand what I'm talking about, my boarding of airplanes is almost always slow due to people hauling multiple bags and stowing them in the overhead bins

my sarcasm was directed at the fact that fewer people will do this because of the fee, and yet boarding will still continue to be slow

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Its Only Money

Its Only Money VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While I know I will be the dissenting opinion here, it is what the consumers are asking for. They want the lowest possible fare, regardless. Allegiant, Spirit, and Frontier all use this model and all are doing fairly well. United and soon to be followed by the other big 2 are just trying to compete. If the low cost carriers weren't doing as well as they were, the legacy carriers wouldn't have to make these changes.

I am fortunate enough that I am more loyal to rewards programs, my home regional airport and its conveniences than to cost alone. I will pay more to fly from CAK than CLE, from CLE I have to make a connection pretty much anywhere now anyway. I know that as a pleasure flyer I am in the minority, but I still think flying is an incredible value, and will pay for convenience and comfort.

10. Frankr163

Frankr163 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I read the article a couple of days ago and thought about posting a rant about it.
    However, a bit down in the piece it said "it's what the people want". So that makes it ok, you know, just like when we all asked for resort fees!

Anniversary Trip
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love it! :)

Of course, boarding is bound to take longer if passengers are stowing luggage in the overheads, but can you imagine how much slower it will be if they try cramming it under the seats instead? I know that's what I'd do! I qualify for free bag checking, but always take a carryon. It's not so much to avoid time at baggage claim - I just prefer my stuff arriving when I do! And while taking bags onboard can slow down the process, it's rare where it delays departure.

12. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So? Is Untied trying to compete with Spirit and Allegiant?

13. zenvegas

zenvegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I flew United from Toronto to Chicago a few weeks ago. I had booked on Air Canada and this was a code share. Old plane, no entertainment system and I was sitting in the hygiene optional section. It was a brutal flight there. Coming home it only smelled less. However, we were delayed by about 3 hours. They only said the delay was in Toronto because of the weather. My wife said the weather was fine by text. The gate agents were rude and inattentive.
    I think they've already reached bottom. Given any reasonable choice, I will avoid them.

I need a vacation from my vacations
  14. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The more these airlines try to think of ways to screw me out of a few dollars, the more determined I get to not let them get it.

15. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They will be charging less for the seats as well. Thats the deal, you get a cheaper seat but you get fewer amenities.

• Like Like x 2
  16. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Curious to see how the market reacts. Right now, there is no where I plan to travel where United would be the best first choice for a carrier so I won't have to worry about it. It already is annoying that they board based on so many factors instead of what is fastest and now you are being pushed into paying a fee for a bag one way or the other. I am starting to think that there is maybe a space for a more full service carrier now that the legacy carriers are starting to move into the al a carte space.

17. Suekel

Suekel VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How do they even enforce this? If someone buys the lower "no bag in the overhead" fare, what stops them from throwing their bag up there anyway? Are the flight attendants going to have to police this? The airline will probably make them board last, but if the flight isn't sold out and there is room can they use the overhead? What if they just want to put their coat up there? The whole idea just seems to stupid and rife with potential problems to me.

• Like Like x 1
  18. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    first u board last, second they will look closly at what u bring on to make sure its small so no roller bags. spirit does it that way

19. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do not know but would not surprise me if the stewardess didn't walk down the aisle with the last full paying rider in front of her closing the overheads as she proceeds. Wow.

20. abraxis

abraxis Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't really see what the big deal is. Like cousin Eddie said, pay less, get less. Just gotta wait and see to make sure economy regular doesn't increase in price and we end up paying more to not get less.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.