1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Mirage half marathon trip, nov 11-14

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by buckeyetodd, Nov 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buckeyetodd

buckeyetodd High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

so this will be trip number three for the year. i've been working my ass off so have a pretty decent bankroll for the trip.

"purpose" of trip is my daughter in law Erin and I will be running the half marathon on sunday. i've considered it in the past but this is the first time i'm running it. i'm really excited about running down the strip at night. i've been fighting injuries for the last few months so i haven't had the amount of training i would like so i really don't know what to expect. my wife Stacy and son Lance will be running the 5k on saturday. they both had knee surgery this year so they are just running to run.

stacy and i will be staying at the mirage on a comp with a resort credit. this is the first time i've stayed at a mlife property in quite a while. once the comps they offered me dried up, i said screw it and have been with CET the last ten trips or so. i know a pit supervisor at the mirage (thanks to our common love of the Ohio State Buckeyes) and he gave me some contact info for a host he is friends with. i contacted the host and we worked things out. tried to contact the host about a month ago and i found out he is gone. talked to the host office and they assured me everything was still ok with my reservation. i'm back to square one for a host now.

i'm using a CET offer and putting Lance and Erin in the Linq on a comp. i don't really feel like i'm abusing the offer because we all will be playing some in their properties.

i'll try to keep you all updated. i was a little worried i wouldn't get my usual amount of gaming but found out the mirage has a heated pool and the girls are excited about spending some time there each day.

am less than 24 hours from take off, pretty excited.

todd

2. vegas_runner

vegas_runner Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Awesome, have a great run!

3. elaine.mcgrew

elaine.mcgrew Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Will be there then too and writing my own TR. Hope the pools are open for you. Some have closed already.

4. WHU66

WHU66 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great stuff, one day I will get out for the marathon or half, can't wait! Looking forward to your report and any details on the run will be gratefully received!

5. miniwhale

miniwhale High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This will be my 8th Vegas half. It is a blast! Weather is looking good. Have fun!!

6. buckeyetodd

buckeyetodd High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    will be sporting a green vmb wrist band and a bright orange tank, say hello if you see me. what corrall are you in?

7. buckeyetodd

buckeyetodd High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    mirage pool is heated and i believe open until 6pm. indirectly it helps me cause will allow a few hours of extra table time. usually when my wife is with me i don't seem to play nearly as much.

8. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mirage website currently says 4:30p; 6p would be dark in Vegas now. Also ~80F is not my idea of "heated". Mirage and most other pools in Vegas are too cold for my liking. :(

Good luck on the report and the race!

Kicking off the Trip with Two New Hotels to Us!!!
  9. buckeyetodd

buckeyetodd High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Me either, I like 86-88 degrees. My wife, DIL, and granddaughters are in our pool when it's in the 70s so they should be ok. Think they mostly want to lay by pool and relax

10. FuzzyDiceCraps

FuzzyDiceCraps VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enjoy fellow Buckeye! My wife ran it last year and had a blast, we're missing it by about a week this year. Enjoy the race and enjoy Vegas! Win a lot, but leave some for us to get next week!!

Taking the wife to a work conference
  11. buckeyetodd

buckeyetodd High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just arrived, $16.17 to Mirage via Lyft, about 50 people in line at check in but it is moving quickly

12. buckeyetodd

buckeyetodd High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not much to report. Hungry when we got here, had the Cravings buffet here at Mirage. Very underwhelming. Used a 241 from myvegas. At this point, I might be done with buffets. Played some pai gow, a few slots and some VP, ended day almost even to the penny. Ate dinner at hash house a gogo at the linq, was way too much food as usual.

Today went to marathon expo at convention center to get bibs etc.. up a couple hundred playing pai gow, have to take a table break and watch my Buckeyes destroy Maryland.

13. buckeyetodd

buckeyetodd High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have to apologize for the worst trip report in history. Just didn't find the time and had no big wins or loses. Half marathon was fun, enjoyed running on the strip. Marathon certainly creates havoc for everyone. Transportation and even walking was horrible. Coming home with most of my cash, might be down 3-400 in four days

14. miniwhale

miniwhale High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, took a hiatus from internet and Vegas obsessing while I was there. I was in Corral 13. The new wave system was great! I got Vegas on Thurs with major hip flexor pain, didn't know if I would be able to run. Restricted walking, KT tape and ibuprofen did the trick. It was one of my worst times, but I finished! This was the best weather in the 8 years I have run it. Up to mile 6 I didn't think I would do it again, but after finishing, I again changed my mind!!

15. buckeyetodd

buckeyetodd High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats on the finish, was my worst finishing time also. I was running with my DIL and she was having major difficulties breathing. I actually thought I'd be slowing her down. Still had a great time running with her, she helps keep me motivated

16. FuzzyDiceCraps

FuzzyDiceCraps VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats guys, last year when my wife ran it she was disappointed with her time as well. Kudos on the finishes, and buckeyetodd, I have twice (maybe three times) tried doing a trip report and its never worked out. I have to give major props to the folks that can keep up with it. I do for a few posts and then get distracted. Thanks for checking back in though, glad you enjoyed the race!

Taking the wife to a work conference
  17. Kobra2848

Kobra2848 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No apology necessary. I had plans on trying my hand at a live report on my visit last week even it was only pictures but then Vegas takes over.

Mark

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never do a live TR as it really hard to keep up. Sounds like you had a good time though!

Kicking off the Trip with Two New Hotels to Us!!!
  19. miniwhale

miniwhale High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can relate to the difficulty breathing. I needed my inhaler again after maybe 8-9 miles. I don't have those issues running here in GA! I really wish we could go back to morning races, too! Hard to plan around a night race.

20. buckeyetodd

buckeyetodd High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with the morning race being easier to run. My DIL was out of sync with the late start. Personally, I loved running at night and do a fair amount of evening running here in Ohio. Only thing I didn't like about late start time was it gave me all day to fret about race, second guess my conditioning etc...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.