1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Second Job Etiquette...

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by NYNYGirl, Nov 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    if there is such a thing.

I'm happy with my current job where I've been for 15 years. But I am just looking to get a second job to help out with Holidays and such .

My concern is when they ask about contacting your current employer that I'm not sure what to do . I mean my work record with my employer is good. I am trusted to work at home and have received a couple of promotions .

I just don't want my current employer to think I am thinking about leaving the company. I don't want to give them a reason to not trust me, I guess. So not sure if i should I talk with my supervisor about this first and go from there or just let them contact my employer and hope all goes well . WWYD

2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Chances are for a temp job they will not contact your primary employer. If they do, it will probably be via the HR department and not through your department.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Without knowing your situation, employer, type of work, etc..... I would probably be upfront and let them know you are just looking to add some cash and will be working at so and so. Let them know you are not leaving. Otherwise, they will find out and might be concerned you are sneaking around behind their back.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree (depending on your exact situation - you know your boss/office best). Esp if you need to rearrange your schedule at all to accommodate part-time holiday work. I know some of the staff assistants in my office work part-time during the holidays. Other people (higher ups) might do freelance work or have 2nd income earning opportunities that are more home-based.

Personally -I am in a professional position and have been for 15 years but every Feb I take a week of vacation from my real job and work a trade show booth for my husband's company. I've always been up front with my boss because it's a non-negotiable for me to be able to work that trade show (my husband is the company- he doesn't have employees - he needs a 2nd body to work trade shows ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  5. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would just Write down "no you cannon contact current employer" if you get an interview in person then you can tell them the whole story..

6. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never seen or heard of a boss objecting to a part time job. Most of them have one, too.

7. IM ALL IN

IM ALL IN High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would be upfront with your immediate supervisor. As long as the two companies are not in competition with each other..I'd not see a problem, unless? One full-time employee we had worked at Costco some evenings and weekends. No competition, however during the week if he was scheduled to work at Costco and we had a late afternoon challenge with one of our clients and we HAD to remedy the problem (overtime)..he wasn't able to attend the fix cause he had to get to his other job.

8. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The prime commitment has to be his primary employer. He should have been reprimanded.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the replies.

I think I feel more comfortable letting my supervisor know ahead of time even though it's interesting that he may not even be contacted . I guess just checking with my HR is all they need to verify that I am actually working...

Also don't want to appear sneaking around even though these companies would not be the others competition. One is insurance the other would be weekend restaurant work. So no changing my regular weekday work schedule as well .
    And I actually did try on the first application saying no, as far as contacting the employer, needless to say no callback . Though it could have been other reasons I guess...

I think this is also a way of indulging some hobbies...

10. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tell the new employer that you would rather they not contact your current employer as it would put your job at risk.

11. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just be up front with your Supervisor that you are searching for a temporary part time job for financial reasons and let him/her know it will have no impact on your ability to maintain your same job performance level. By being honest and upfront about it, in the event a reference is needed, your Supervisor may be willing to provide one. Best of luck with your part time job!

• Like Like x 1
  12. MTMONGO

MTMONGO High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1

• Like Like x 1
  13. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you think your 'real' boss would object to you having a part-time job? At my last gig, almost everyone there had something going on the side, and in today's economy it's not unheard of at all to juggle two positions. How-ev-ah, if there's a chance that the part time gig could negatively impact your real job...might wanna think that through. Bottom line: just check the 'yeah, you can contact them' box - though they probably wont - given that I suspect your PT job is something akin to a warm body do-this/do-that holiday gig. And if they do contact your current employer, then you could tell them you're doing some holiday-revenue-gig.

'Cause once per annum is insufficient...
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I knew at least 5 people who ran their side businesses directly from the their desks with full approval of the supervisors. Why not? They got free roofing, electrical, grounds maintenance and housecleaning for their homes for looking the other way. They even used their work computers to keep their business books. Used the work printers to print up their own business correspondence. Raided the supply room to get stuff for their home offices.

Don't get me started.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2016
  15. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My employer has a 3rd party service that handles background checks like employment history or credit references. I doubt my direct supervisor even would know if anyone checked. If you are that uncomfortable, I would note that you don't want your employer called. A new employer really can't find out much more than that you worked at a place and for what period of time unless someone there volunteered to be character reference. Companies are too afraid to be sued by for giving a negative review on an employee.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. rje

rje High-Roller

In my line of work (I am Series 7 licensed and work for a brokerage firm) I am required to disclose and get prior approval for all "OBI" - Outside Business Interests, which includes part-time employment.
    So, I don't have much of a choice : )
    In your situation, unless you are doing part time work for a competitor, I think it is a good idea to let your boss know what you are doing.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.