1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Latest SWA credit card offer- 10,000 miles less.

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Joe, Nov 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just so many great bonus CC offers out there. NOT using one is just folly -- if one has the discipline to pay it off monthly. We don't go through quite the perambulations as Joe, but we do rack up the mileage and cashback.

2. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We get the SWA Visa card offers, with something like 50K miles. Only problem is this: "the annual fee".
    Even though we may fly - most of the time - twice per year, and on Southwest...I just have a hard time
    paying for the privilege of using a card. Now, the perks may offset the fee (have not done cost/benefit on
    this), but I get ever so much closer to actually responding in the positive.

Whaddya think? Is it worth the annual fee for two flights per year? I think I know the answer - given that
    you can rack up points on a lot of purchases.

'Cause once per annum is insufficient...
  3. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've NEVER run a credit card balance, and as long as the benefits outweigh the expense, consider them good deals. I really don't need another card, so I'll probably cancel before its renewal and sign up again when eligible. Meanwhile, I pay nearly $200 a year for Delta's Platinum Amex Card, but it includes a yearly companion voucher. That's been worth about double the fee, but unfortunately, I couldn't take advantage of it last year – no companion. My current voucher expires next May, and I'm determined to use it this time!

4. bruceb

bruceb Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For the premier card the $99 fee and 6,000 anniversary points are close to break even (I believe credit card websights value the return on swa pts at 1.7%). Your actual mileage may vary based on sales, etc.

bruce

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  5. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is no one answer to this. Do the math. The only air card that makes sense for us is Alaska. The companion fare when used "properly" more than offsets the fee. Now the downside is we can't use miles to go with the companion fare. But we travel enough that miles never go to waste. If mileage isn't the answer, go with a cash reward, Ritz-Carlton nights, whatever.

6. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you get 50,000 miles, some quick checking will show you how much in free flights you can get. The answer should be around $750 in flights.

So, you tell me - is paying $95 for the card worth $750 in flights?

Very simple. People try to make it all too complicated.

By the way, if you get two cards and 100,000 bonus plus $10,000 in spend, you get a free companion card good for the rest of the year you earn it, and all of the next.

BE VERY AWARE OF THE DECEMBER CUTOFF if you go for this.

As to paying for the card again next year? Probably not worth it.

7. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    'preciate it , fellas. I'll just see what's in the mailbox this month.

'Cause once per annum is insufficient...
  8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Timing to start new card? I was approved for the SWA business card and when I add in the 50,000 mile bonus, I'll have 128,000 miles. I think that will qualify me for a Companion Pass, I think?? Should I wait until Jan 1 to activate the card or does it matter?

I have to spend $2,000 in 3 months for the bonus, but I'm assuming the clock doesn't start until the card is activated. Anybody know?

9. bruceb

bruceb Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To receive the companion pass, you have to earn 110,000 points (either flights or from cc) within one calendar year.
    bruce

10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh, so I guess no pass for me, but 50,000 is still good.

11. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As said, the 110,000 have to be earned from Jan 1 to Dec 31 (approx-depends on billing dates). If you just got one card, maybe you can get another in your business name? That should get you there. If you reach the 110,000 in Dec, you get the rest of THIS year and all of next. If you earn and reach the 110,000 in the first part of next year, you get the pass for all of 2018 and the rest of 2017.

12. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've gamed the system for 4 cards and 200,000 miles, including this latest business card, so I guess I'm SOL. But still, another 50,000 is great.

13. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is the two years from your last bonus or from the last day you had an active account?

Bros are back!
  14. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is why I think "credit" is a scam...not to point fingers Turtleman, but it's a broken system in the sense, that people who don't use "credit" (if you're paying it off every month, then it's not really "credit") have the highest FICO...it should be the other way around...people who CARRY a balance should have the highest scores, because banks are making the most money off of them.
    I'll get off my soapbox now.

15. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree Timspeed; but without sounding too apathetic, I don't care how it works! :) I'm just spending $96 to get a free ticket.

16. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Active account.

17. STPFan

STPFan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The timing for the card is really really important. I am gearing up to get two new cards in the next month, but I won't complete the 3 month spending until after January so that I get most of 2017 and all of 2018.

Here is a really good explanation of the timing. http://millionmilesecrets.com/2013/10/20/southwest-companion-pass-timing/

18. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seriously? The more you roll over debt at staggeringly usurious rates the more risk you pose. And it still is credit -- I'm allowed to acquire an item without paying hard cash at that moment per certain tiered repayment conditions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My story is similar to this. We got the regular card in March 2015 right before our kitchen remodel. We bought cupboards and counters and got 50k points. Then applied for the premier card. We got a phone call regarding already having a card. I explained we were planning on trips to Mexico so we wanted the card with no foreign transaction fees. Got the card, bought flooring, and 50k more points. That got us to reach Companion Pass status.
    So using points and just paying taxes/fees, we have gone to Vegas about four times for $27 (for two people), Cancun twice for $80, New Orleans for $27, and DC for $27. The annual fees are made up for by the anniversary points they give. And we only paid $365 in interest on our $20k remodel.

SWA and Chase have raised the Companion Pass status from 100k to 110k points due to people like me, I assume. My Companion Pass runs out at the end of this year. But I feel blessed to have had the opportunity to (ab)use / take advantage of SWA's generosity. I still have over 50k points left.

I am a SWA fan all day long.

20. g8rb8k8

g8rb8k8 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you everyone for all the posting you did :) I started out with reading the first and how the wife went thru the 3 cards and i said hmmmmm. Then I read further and saw that someone was going to apply for the premier and that got me up and checking to see which one I had, which was the premier so I applied for the Plus, which next month is Vegas so Hotels and such will be put on towards the 2,000 in 3 mos. Wooooohoooooo I'm a happppppy cammmmmmper!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.