1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Who gets Southwest drink coupons?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by surf87, Nov 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surf87

surf87 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never owned a Southwest credit card, nor am I an A-lister, but every year for the past 7 years like clock work Southwest sends me this 4 drink coupons during this time of year. I was curious if everyone gets one? BTW I will post a picture of my letter as soon as photobucket's site is back up and running, it's down for maintenance. I do fly about once every other month which could be why I'm getting these coupons. I always list my drink coupons on eBay and it sells for about $12 - $15. I drink but I don't like to drive after having even a single drink and for such a short trip from Los Angeles to Las Vegas and renting a car in Las Vegas, I don't drink on my flight over or going back home.

2. surf87

surf87 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think I've gotten them in years where I've had at least 4 paid flights. I never use them either. Going to LAS, it's always in the morning and I don't want to be buzzed until after I get settled. Coming home, I have to drive when I arrive, and I've had my fill while I was there anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  4. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We fly them a few times each year, and never got the coupons. And, we always have 2-3 drinks if we can get em. And we have a drink in the airport. I have 2 credit cards with them as well. It is worth getting at least one and 50,000 miles for the free flights.

(one more reason we stopped renting a car - there are many others)

• Like Like x 1
  5. surf87

surf87 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh and I should mention that when Southwest had it's previous rapid reward structure program when 8 roundtrips earned a free flight within the year, I used to get a free roundtrip flight voucher in the mail along with this free drink letter and coupon. I remember that the free flight voucher could be used to any destination to where ever Southwest flew. So for example I would fly 8 roundtrips from Los Angeles to Las Vegas and then use the free roundtrip voucher from Los Angeles to New Orleans, or Philly, or Tampa Bay, or St Louis, or Reno (I actually visited all of these cities using the free roundtrip voucher). That old rapid rewards program was very lucrative for short distance travelers such as myself.

I think that it was about 7 years ago when Southwest changed their rapid rewards awards program where now points are awarded on cost/distance (not sure) and no longer 8 round trips. This new rapid rewards program could be why I'm receiving these free drink coupons. And now with Southwest's new rapid reward award program after about 2 roundtrips, I have earned enough points for 1 segment from Los Angeles to Las Vegas, which is still good but not as good as the old program for short distance travelers such as myself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They went from:

8 flights to anywhere = 1 free one to anywhere
    to
    Earn 6 points per $1 spent, redeem at 60 points per $1 fare (so it basically became 10 flights = 1 free one, if the free flight was the same price as the paid ones)
    to
    Earn 6 points per $1 spent, redeem at 70 points per $1 (so 11.7 flights = 1 free one)
    to
    Earn 6 points per $1 spent, redeem at 70 or more points per $1 (they said they were going to institute variable point pricing, although I've never seen it on their BOS <-> LAS flights).

Not a bargain anymore, but still more convenient with the free bags and changes, minus the cattle call and the 1/4th of the plane pre-boarding.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Sparky4

Sparky4 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Usually get my 4 drink tickets in the spring but now that I'm thinking about it, I don't think I got any. ☹️

Happy birthday to me!
  8. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    sigh
    I really didn't like the change.
    I have the SW credit card and use to for my business purchases. I use to get at least one free flight a month. Every time I earned a flight, they would send four drink tickets. On my group 3G trips (golf, gamble, guzzle) I was able to buy drinks for everyone because I had so many. But then they changed it.
    Now I only get some tickets on my card's anniversary date. That sucks! I wish they would let you buy drink tickets with points. I sent them an email suggesting that once.

9. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did not pay for drinks and early boarding last year thanks to American Express. Some of their cards give you airline credits. Drinks and EB are covered. Love it!

10. amk121

amk121 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't remember if I got any this year..I usually give mine to friends or you guys as enjoying a drink while flying is unfortunately a no no for me..

11. surf87

surf87 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know how some people can guzzle 2 or 3 drinks in flight. If I did that I would have to inconvenience everyone in my row with excuse me's every 10 minutes to go pee-pee, either that or I'd have where a diaper (lol).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's not a guzzle on a 4 hr flight. Flight is actually 3.5 hours but with SWA boarding, you are on the plane for 4 hours. I have two glasses of wine and don't think I have used the bathroom in the last 50 flights. That also includes the two at the bar before we board. One tap out before boarding is all that is needed.

13. j52chips

j52chips Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was brought to my attention by a SWA employee I know, that they are recently sending the people who are frequent flyers the drink tickets and not the credit card users. The credit card users may get a free movie or something else like free wifi. As for trying to guzzle beers, my 3.5 hour flight from Chicago and having 3-4 beers is not guzzling. It's approx 1 beer an hour. Not guzzling. Since I haven't received the coups in a while, I buy them on ebay. The problem now is people are paying ridiculous money for the coups. A drink is $5 with credit card on the plane and people are paying $4 & $5 a coup. Why buy a coup for face value. You can do that on the plane. Ebay used to be a bargain but with the supply & demand it's hard to find $10-$12 for 4. What's the bargain for face value? If I can't find them at a bargain rate why spend time to save nothing bidding for face value? It's not a sports ticket being scalped.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We get them every year and never use them ourselves as hubby likes to wait til he gets to Vegas and has to drive on return trip. Used to give them to SIL but he no longer flies SWA. So we take them along each trip and if we have a friendly seat mate, hubby offers one to our seat mate; so far we haven't had any go to waste :beer:

15. surf87

surf87 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On the flights from Los Angeles to Las Vegas as soon as the plane reaches cruising altitude it then starts its initial descent. Often times I hear the flight attendants tell the passengers to please finish their drinks upon serving them their drinks because we will need to come around soon after to collect all trash. That's where I got the gulp terminology from. Passengers often have to hurriedly finish their drinks as soon as they get it.

16. ItsVegasTime

ItsVegasTime Vegas Addict

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I actually do have a southwest card, and the last 2 years I have not been sent drink coupons. Im not sure why.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought it was based on number of one way flights, and last I heard it was every 10 flights.

18. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have the SWA Premier cards (99 bucks a year) and get four coupons on our anniversary. The eBay prices over four dollars for five dollar coupons are ridiculous. Look for coupons expiring the month after your trip. I did this and finally hooked up with a reseller who charges two dollars per coupon.

19. ItsVegasTime

ItsVegasTime Vegas Addict

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also have the SW Premier card, and pay the $99 annually. I really don't know why they never send me coupons anymore :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. j52chips

j52chips Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fullpay, Just like I said earlier EBAY has gotten ridiculous. Every now and then I get an email for the coups at $2-3. You also have the right idea. Buy expiring coups close to your travel date. Fullpay you're right on it. I'm also a premier card holder and used to get the coups but not now, but the 6,000 points on the anniversary covers the $99.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.