1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Anybody else having trouble loading Firefox?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Jerseyguy2, Oct 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Computer problems lately I try to click on Firefox and I get a message "cant load xp com" whatever that means.
    So I use Chrome instead. I have Kaspersky security,am running a full scan. I saw on the news the other day where someone hacked into Firefox and some other things. I dont feel like spending for a new computer now if I can avoid it,this one fills my need except for all these little glitches lately.

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jerseyguy, maybe it is time to ditch Vista and get a new puter. btw, Firefox is my primary browser and I have had no troubles except every time I close it, since I went with Win10, I get an error message. Something about it didn't close properly and it will send a message to FF. This has been going on for over a month and they haven't fixed it.

3. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    JG, I am using windows Vista like you and recently received several updates from Firefox. Did not have problems loading it.

I quit using Chrome because I was getting messages that Chrome stopped receiving updates from Microsoft, or something to that effect. I am looking for a new machine.

I have seen refurbished desktops online for $350 with the following specs: Dell Optiplex 7010 Minitower with Intel Core i5 3.2GHz Processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, WiFi & Windows 7 Pro. For what you're doing, this would be like driving a Corvette to pick up a half gallon of milk at Wawa.

With some of your recent troubles, you might want to back up any critical files or photos in case your machine sh!ts the bed.

4. PsyDoc

PsyDoc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you have troubles with your browser, you could try to uninstall and then reinstall the browser. Sometimes that helps....

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tried to uninstall Firefox but that didnt work. I'm going to re-boot my modem next and see. I guess we'll just use Chrome.

6. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It sounds like you've picked up some malware somewhere. I'd suggest downloading Malwarebytes and running it in addition to using your virus scanner. from time to time to help try to keep that stuff of your computer.

As for the error, this is the best video (there's also some direction in the comments) I found that should help with this that doesn't include downloading more software.

7. zignerlv

zignerlv VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Chrome does it's own updates, and does not receive them from Microsoft. Without the exact wording it is hard to say what your problem is, if any, but it's not that Microsoft is stopping sending updates for Chrome.

8. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Shock,but that video makes no sense to me at all,but the Malware thing may be helpfull.

9. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
  10. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I downloaded malwarebytes,ran it and removed some items(not malware). After this the computer wouldnt start right until I unplugged it and replugged it in again. I uninstalled malwarebytes.

11. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can see the instructions under the video on Youtube itself. The way the board handles youtube links is to show the video here and not point to their site where the instructions were. I'll paste them below:

Published on Sep 25, 2016
    When you open Firefox you get this Error: “Couldn’t load XPCOM.”

1. Backup your firefox profile (settings, bookmarks, etc) by copying the Mozilla folder in “C:\Users\[UserProfileName]\AppData\Roaming\” to your desktop.

2. Now Uninstall “Mozilla Firefox…” and “Mozilla Maintenance Service” from “Program and Features” in the Control Panel.

3. Next delete the Mozilla folder from “C:\Users\[UserProfileName]\AppData\Roaming\”

4. Now Download and install Firefox using another browser. (If you click System & Languages then find your language this will be the offline installer)

5. As you see none of your settings or bookmarks are saved. This is a fresh install. Now Close Firefox.

6. Next delete the contents of the Firefox folder from “C:\Users\[UserProfileName]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox”

7. Now open backup you saved to the desktop and copy the contents of the firefox folder back to “C:\Users\[UserProfileName]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox”

8. Open Firefox. Your Bookmarks and settings are back!

12. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Shock,maybe my daughter or more likely her computer pro friend will understand all this,I really dont. I'll try to find the utube video.
    I ran the startup repair and it told me and I quote"Bios(whats this) in this system is not fully ACPI compliant(what?) contact system vendor (whos that) for updated bios"
    I'm in way over my head with this ,i'm going to leave my computer on and see if this works better also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.