1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

questions about renting a car with thru kayak

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by crapsaddict, Oct 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crapsaddict

crapsaddict Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    have been going to vegas and renting cars there for over 30 years so I have a general knowledge of how it works. The last 15 years or so I have almost always used Dollar. I love their system where you just find your name on the list and take your car, the whole process is about 15 minutes. Generally if you monitor the website you will find a day in which the prices drop so I try to watch for it, but it is unsettling to see what they want to charge you now if you were just trying to quickly make a res and not think about it after that. I have a while to make a res as I am not going till Jan 22. Right now the best price for a res from Jan 22 to Feb 3 on their website is a little over 400. At the same time if I make a res with them thru kayak the price is 281. My question is about the fact that kayak does not list extra airport fees,etc when you look at their breakdown. For anybody who has gone this route, is the total that is listed at kayak the actual grand total or are there more fees that are not mentioned? I really appreciate anybody who can tell me about their experience.

2. crapsaddict

crapsaddict Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    also want to mention that kayak says I can cancel anytime just like I can if I used the Dollar website, am wondering if anyone ever had a problem with this

3. remmerde

remmerde VMB's Resident Cigar Sommelier

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haven't used a third party to book a car in a long time, but just checked kayak for December. Showing me a total for $107.28, rate is $72.09, taxes and fees $35.19. Those numbers look right for what taxes you can expect there. So I think you're seeing a complete total.

4. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On Kayak, are you sure selected McCarran Airport as your desired pick up/drop off location? The only sub $300 price via Kayak I can get for your dates is at the Dollar location on 4775 Swenson Street, which is NOT McCarran's Car Rental Center. Looking at McCarran rentals only, it looks like Kayak matches Dollar's website where the cheapest is now about $443 all in.

5. crapsaddict

crapsaddict Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yes you are right, I went back and checked and it was for Swenson Street. Since I have used dollar so long from the Airport Center i forgot about their other locations. I know that the rates will come down some between now and the time i am going, but the prices are starting to go up just t like a lot of things there. I wonder how long my free rooms in the Palace Station tower are going to last once they start their upgrade.

6. crapsaddict

crapsaddict Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    as long as we are on the subject, if I was to rent from Dollar on Swenson street, do you think it would be like in the old days where you would call Dollar from the airport and they would pick you up?

7. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't think they have a shuttle anymore - we Ubered there in July for less than $10, tip included. Saved 75 bucks by picking up rental on Swenson and returning it to rental car center.....

8. crapsaddict

crapsaddict Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the reply

9. Community

Community Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
  10. crapsaddict

crapsaddict Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I made a res with Dollar on Swenson St for 246, the best price thru the airport site is still around 410. Things can change between now and when I go, but I think for 160 less I can pay for a cab to get there. I don't want to worry about saving every dollar I can and if it ends up within even 60-70 dollars I still might switch to using the airport mode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.