1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Make reservations?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Vegas Whoohoo, Oct 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vegas Whoohoo

Vegas Whoohoo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hiya,

Just how busy is LV late november/early december?
    Should I already start making dinner reservations right now just to be sure not to end @ McD's every day?

And I heard about discounts when you eat at the hotel you're actually staying, but can't find anything concrete... any thoughts on that?

Thanks!
    Kris

2. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dinner reservations are my responsibility and I enjoy doing the research for our trips. I would start to think where you want to eat and use Open Table around the first of Nov for the ease of it. If you are going to be there for Thanksgiving, I would reserve very soon

3. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nov-24th is Thanksgiving in the US and all the restaurants will be crowded. Since people will come in for the holiday weekend, I'd make dinner reservations for Thu-Sat for sure that week.

Dec 1-10 is the NFR (Rodeo) and the town will also be busy. I think you should be okay for dinners, but if there's a special place you specifically want to eat at, a reservation wouldn't be a bad idea to avoid any waiting or disappointments.

4. Vegas Whoohoo

Vegas Whoohoo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

We'll arrive on Nov-26th and be on our way again on Dec-3rd.
    My b'day is 30th, that's on a Wednesday. Maybe I'll at least make reservation for that day.

Now I'm hungry LOL off to the fridge :feedme:

• Like Like x 1
  5. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It really depends on what restaurants you are talking about. If you are talking high end restaurants, spending a few hundred dollars for each meal, then I would consider getting a reservation ahead of time. Otherwise, I'd just wing it.

As for discounts at restaurants for staying at that hotel, the only thing that you might see would be a "coupon book" or promotion you can get at the check in desk. These seem to be almost non-existent at the higher end properties and typically of little value at the ones who do have them.

6. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been to Vegas the past 5 years during Thanksgiving. The restaurants are busy but you won't get shut out and eating at McDonald's if you wait until last minute to make reservations. Now the buffets....they are super busy.

7. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Even for high-end restaurants, I only ever book in advance, if I'm dining at peak times on the weekends.

90% of the time, you can just rock up and the longest you'll have to wait, is the time it takes to have a drink at the bar.

8. Jejas

Jejas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I rarely make dinner (or any) reservations in Vegas.
    Vegas is full of restaurants, any price level, any cuisine, anywhere.
    If a place is not able to accommodate walk-in diners, I simply move on to another one.

9. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Start now. You can always change later.

10. fischer

fischer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What restaurants are you looking to make reservations? We are there the week of CES (early Jan) and never have a hard time getting the reservations we want, even on the day of.

11. rgrif57

rgrif57 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I try and figure one upscale restaurant to eat at every trip and do make reservations. We usually get a hold of our host a couple of weeks to a month in advance (depending on restaurant size and what is going on...example New Years week we will book on the early side). That is just for our piece of mind and to get the time we want................Rick

12. Vegas Whoohoo

Vegas Whoohoo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the great advice.
    We are not looking to go anywhere in particular, just curious if it is really crowded everywhere.
    Maybe look up something fancy to go to and make reservations, like Rick says :stir:

Now, I wonder where they serve the best tenderloin steak? :feedme:

13. Vegas Whoohoo

Vegas Whoohoo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
  14. oldcrabtom

oldcrabtom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ate at Oscars my last visit (late Sept) and it was superb. No res, just walk up ......

• Like Like x 1
  15. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been doing Las Vegas since the 1970s and have found that it's seldom necessary to do reservations except, as the OP said, at peak times. The only times I remember issues is when we had a group of 6-10 and often times saying you'll split the group into two tables will get you in a bit faster. It's my impression that quite a few, if not most LV restaurants (except for high end) hold a fair amount of tables for walk-ins.

16. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What can it hurt to make reservations?

• Like Like x 1
  17. rgrif57

rgrif57 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We went ahead and made a dinner reservation (already) for 12/30 in a smaller restaurant. Probably the first one they have taken for then but would rather be first then shut out. Like Shok said what does it hurt and even better you get what you want when you want; a win/win...........Rick

• Like Like x 2
  18. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are usually several restaurants I plan to visit when in town.
    Why not make a reservation?
    Without a reservation I have been shut out in the past and had to go to a different restaurant.
    I have also tried to get last minute reservations and been given the "We have two times open 5:30 pm and 10:00pm"
    Be in town NYE weekend and already have reservations for 12/30 and 1/2.
    If I change plans before then I will just cancel and schedule something else.

19. FYMYAWF

FYMYAWF VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree w/most, there's really no downside to making reservations, at least that way you know you're going to eat SOMEWHERE that night, and now with almost everything being done through Open Table you can just cancel your res via your phone if you change your mind, no harm no foul.

20. IM ALL IN

IM ALL IN High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dec 1-4 is Holiday Gift Shop (Mlife) and Nov 30-Dec 4 is Great Gift Wrap (CET)....there are zillions of us down there redeeming our points, and using our free rooms and getting our meals comped....we like to eat! I'm even gonna put in a reservation for dinner prior to Andrea Bocelli,,and I have NEVER reserved dining before. Can't hurt to book! I personally just want Olives at Bellagio prior to Bocelli and I don't like to sit at their bar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.