$20 Paris

Discussion in '$20 Trick Section' started by Sonya, Apr 28, 2015.

1. vegasnutt

vegasnutt Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was in Vegas for the very first time for the SEMA convention in November. I wanted to stay one more night in Vegas so I chose Paris due to their fun theme and rates for the night I needed. I remembered reading here about the $20 trick so I decided to try it. But I forgot to fold it into a sandwich when I approached the desk. Instead, I held my wallet open in one hand and had my other reaching in, as if I was ready to pull out money. I asked the lady if there were any complimentary upgrades available, and I said it with a goofy grin - as if to imply that I knew she gets asked that a million times a day. She started typing away and said, "hmmm let me see..."

I then told her that I was a big fan of jetted tubs... which I am, but what the heck, it was worth a shot.

After a few more seconds, she looked up at me and said, "okay, it's all yours!" Stunned and surprised, I reached into my wallet and handed her a $20. She was very appreciative and so was I. The room she gave me was a gigantic suite that had two bathrooms, about 1000 sq. ft. and by far the largest room I've ever stayed in. What a great way to end my first visit ever to Vegas. I've been doing the $20 trick ever since.

2. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

I'm staying in Paris because of this!!! My last night is on my Birthday so I'm hoping they'll hook it up :)

3. THE FLYING V

THE FLYING V Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stayed at Paris May 12-16. Showed the $20 sandwich as per usual, upgraded to a Red Room on a 4 night comped room!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gavin Laws

Gavin Laws Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First time staying at Paris in July. I have a Red Room High Floor Eiffel View booked. I was wondering if it makes sense trying to get an upgrade on check in. Has anyone been upgraded to a suite before?

5. Onmyown32

Onmyown32 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We were once by mistake upgraded to a huge corner suite right under the last floor of the building. Gorgeous strip view, 2 bathrooms. Living room/dining room. All comped for 5 days. Again it was a total mistake on part of the front desk lady, she did it as a free upgrade but wasn't supposed to. It was a slight of a mess halfway through the trip but it all worked out good :)

Attached Files:

6. MycroftHolmes

MycroftHolmes Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gavin, it was quite a while ago, but in July of 2009 I hit the $20 trick jackpot. I'm a definite low roller and I had the calendar rate for 6 nights. I actually only paid for Friday and Saturday, $120 total for the week. We checked in fairly late in the evening and I pulled out my $20 sandwich. She seemed to type on the computer forever and I had given up hope when she showed me our room in a book on the desk. I was still thinking there was a mistake but when we got to the room it was way beyond my expectations. I got what I believe was a Marseille suite on the top floor. Not much of a view, but I'm not greedy. :)

I posted some photos here and a video of the room below if anyone is interested.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  7. Gavin Laws

Gavin Laws Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow nice upgrade!

8. GamblingGolfer

GamblingGolfer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My friends just arrived. $20 turned a regular room into a "Red Room". 28th floor, newly remodeled with a High Roller view.

GG

9. kralthewizard

kralthewizard Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Had a comped Red Room booked 9/25-29/16. Checked in around 9pm, am diamond but the check in was closed. Had a very nice dark haired mid twenties girl check us in. I handed her the sandwich, she asked, is this for me? I said yes, I know you're going to find us an incredible room! She said, you will be surprised!

Went up to room 3074P. Calais Suite with an incredible view of the fountains, awesome room with way more room than we expected including 2 full baths, a living and dining room with a separate bedroom. Loved every minute in that room!

10. MycroftHolmes

MycroftHolmes Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Kral,

Your story gave me some hope. Unfortunately I checked in around 11:30 PM on 10/13 and I was completely shut down. He handed my 20 back and told me to spend it on the slots. Oh well. :)

11. FuzzyDiceCraps

FuzzyDiceCraps VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Was the hotel crowded during your stay? I'm curious as to if you think it was because rooms weren't available or the employee you were working with was just not wanting to mess with the trouble or if it might indicate a change in policy. We're staying at Paris for a night on our coming trip before moving to P, and was thinking of trying the trick myself.

12. MycroftHolmes

MycroftHolmes Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There was some video game convention there for two of the days over the weekend but it didn't seem more crowded than I've seen it in the past. I got the feeling that there may have been a manager or something nearby. There were several people working behind the counter. In the past when I've been successful it was when there were very few or even one person working at the time. I wouldn't let my experience stop you from trying though. It never hurts to ask.

13. UTHguy

UTHguy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $20 calmly presented at Diamond Check-In (Comp Visit) resulted in upgrade to a small suite (room number ending in a P - 1245P). One large room, king bed, wet bar, sofa, coffee table, two arm chairs desk. Huge bathroom with dressing area. Shower and whirlpool tub. Worth every penny.

14. vegasqc

vegasqc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Check in last wednesday it was early around 11am and i could hear the 2 people in line before me being told they were gonna get charged i think i was around 30$ for an early check in fee( they walked and decided to come back later) so i quickly put a 20$ bill with credit card and Id. I asked for a quiet room as far away from construction noise as possible and on the highest floor u could get, the guy found me a a room on the 31st floor (out of 33) and of course didnt charge me the resort fee.

It was the quietest room /floor i ever had in vegas i didnt heard a single sound coming from rooms on either side or from the hallway, not even a peep. I was at Aria a few days later and i could hear every single person walking/talking in the hallway

15. Mattyh

Mattyh Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We got in last Friday around 1am after our flight was delayed almost 4 hrs. We were happy that it even took off from Chicago.
    We check in at the hotel and tried the $20 trick. I held the bill in my hand, asked if she had any complementary upgrades (we had 3 nights comped). Since we arrived late, I wasn't sure if they had any upgrades left.
    Luckily, she put us up in the Le Mans suite. It was more than we expected!!
    I was going to slide the $20 bill to her but she said I could leave it on the counter. I thought we had to hide it from the cameras above...

Anyway, this trick worked for us.

Thanks everyone!
    Matt

16. TriggerMN

TriggerMN The Norwegian Hammer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's nice to hear that Diamond folks who already have their room comped beforehand can also get an upgrade. I didn't think that would be the case, so I've never tried.

17. Mattyh

Mattyh Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    TriggerMN,

We're gold and still got an upgrade from an already comped room. You should try it too!

18. CincyJenJen

CincyJenJen Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Checked in on Sunday, January 8. Booked a Burgundy Room, King. Basic. No Eiffel view.

Arrived at Paris at 12:30 pm. Long check in line. When it was finally my turn, presented the hotel clerk with the sandwich. Smiled and asked her if there were any complimentary upgrades available. She told me there was a $25 fee to check in early and asked if I would accept that. I said sure! Told her we were really hoping for a good view. She asked if we could take two Queens. Again, I said, sure!

Then, she looked at the $20 and asked if I needed change. I said, No, that's for you.

After a few moments she said Thank you, I've waived the early check-in fee, and if you're unhappy with the view please come back and see me. She was just lovely.

So happy with our room, 2 Queens and all! Room number was 2284. Best view! Astounding really, and so pleased with the "free" early check-in after a long day of travel!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  19. CincyJenJen

CincyJenJen Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Apparently I have insufficient privileges to upload photos of my upgrade here. But $20 sandwich worked for me. Checked in on Sunday January 8.

ETA: Never mind. It posted. Good luck everyone!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  20. Taris

Taris Low-Roller

Checked into Paris on 16 Jan 2017. I booked a Basic King room by using the SHOT show rate. I arrived at Paris on Monday night at ~ 9:30 PM, proceeded to the front desk. I presented the front desk clerk with my credit card, ID and $20 bill and asked if there were any available complimentary upgrades. He took the $20 and began typing. He offered me a Red room, a Burgundy Room with 2 queen beds and a Calais Suite on the 7th floor. I took the Calais Suite, even though it had not been renovated. The suit was still in good shape and very roomy.

Mission accomplished.