1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The Big Short

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Breeze147, Oct 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just caught this flick for the first time. Starring Christian Bale, Steve Carrell and Brad Pitt, it tells the story of the housing mortgage crash of '07 and '08 that ended up causing a worldwide recession. I won't give it away, if someone hasn't seen it. The best part to me was where the movie cut away to explain complicated financial terms to laymen. Anthony Bourdain used an analogy of halibut that was about to spoil to explain the sub-prime mortgage rate and Selena Gomez used a blackjack game in Las Vegas to explain how CDO's work. Also used that log game (don't know it's name) to show how when the B rated loans defaulted, the whole system would topple. I never understood any of this stuff before.

Some of the movie took place in Las Vegas, but I think it was just a sound stage somewhere. Maybe someone knows for sure.

It did a really good job of showing what rotten bastards the bankers were.

Please confine the discussion, if any, to the movie. It will get deleted if it goes all political.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's good news. My bride and I haven't seen it because we weren't sure we'd be able to understand what it's about! We'll have to check it out!
    Thanks for the recommendation, Breeze!

RICHARD

3. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This was my favorite scene in the movie. I wonder why. ;)

Richard, see it. I was really impressed with how theyou explained all the complicated insurance and outs. I read the book and my first thought when I heard they were going to do a movie was "How?" There book was heavy with graduate level economics but the movie covered it well.

4. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It starts out a little slow, maybe the first 10 minutes or so. Just hang in there. When Steve Carrell shows up, it picks up steam. He is a hell of an actor. That's all I'm going to say.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bu$hman

bu$hman Guppie trying to become a whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jenga! Very good movie. Need to watch it again, soon.

6. Its Only Money

Its Only Money VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Florida guys were my favorites. I know a couple of guys that were doing that inFLmat the time. Talking to them made me feel dirty.

7. mason

mason Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, thank you for the movie tip. Just finished watching it. We all know the final outcome but the suspense was intense. It does draw illicit feelings out of you as you watch it.

8. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw the movie,good for those guys(if its true) but I can tell you and this is true ,our daughter is in the mortgage biz and she basically told us to get out of the market because she saw what was gonna happen and it did.

9. Dr Nostron

Dr Nostron VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great movie

10. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    with the exception of a few shots filmed in vegas and mainly ceasars palace, the whole movie was filmed at harrahs new orleans and the surroundings...i put a few stills in the vegas movie thread dectio

11. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good Movie. I didn't think I would like it but I did! I learned a lot.

12. PsyDoc

PsyDoc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Big Short is one of my favorite movies...and not just because a part of the plot takes place in Las Vegas.

13. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Remember the last time they're seen in the film? Standing in the job fair line...what I thought was great was the expressions on their faces compared to when it was "I have a boat" conversations. Magnificent!

I have a soft spot for bidness flicks...Glenngarry/Glenn Ross, Other People's Money, The Company Men, The Big Short, Boiler Room, Margin Call. I particularly liked 'The Big Short" (not due in some small part because of the Vegas scenes), because it showed just how FEW people really understood what was happening compared to the HUGE number of people who had no idea how it worked but just hung on for the ride. Amazing! Well worth an evening in front of the big screen.

14. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Watch a movie called "Margin Call" (2011), also well done. Same subject different perspective.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.