1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Just Got Approval for a Vegas Work Trip!

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by spdandpwr, Oct 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

So I just got approval to go to a conference in Vegas. I'm so excited, despite the conference being in November. Being my fourth trip to Vegas this year, I figure I have to celebrate it by extending my time in Vegas. However, before I go into full on planning mode, I want to ask my fellow Vegas fans: how do you survive conferences in Vegas. Any pointers, tips, tricks, hacks...what'll make me maximize the experience. I need to be 100% during the conference.

• Like Like x 1
  2. zenvegas

zenvegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No fair. The company I used to work for would send people to a conference in Vegas. While I could and did go to many others, this was one I just couldn't get to because it "wasn't my territory". It was probably just as well. I wouldn't have attended anything anyway.

Good for you. Have a great time.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ah the holy grail... a trip to Vegas on The Man's dime. Enjoy!

Tips?

Sensible shoes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You need to assess your level of "intestinal fortitude", ie: willpower! Having lived in Nevada for well over 30 years, had many, many business meetings in Las Vegas and attended tons of conferences, I can tell you it's tough on many to keep a focus on the reason you're there given such distractions. I seen so many people show-up late to a conference break-out session with sun-glasses on and sit as far back in the room as they can... then leave early, cause the nauseous feeling the hangover provides is just too much. I've seen plenty of people at the bar state, "just one more, then I gotta get some sleep" right on up to sunrise. (Yes... I've been that person a few times). I've also seen plenty of people leave the conference and head right to the Black Jack tables and play for awhile, go have a nice dinner, maybe play some more and be in bed by 10 or 11 p.m. and arrive fresh for the following days activities.

Don't try to do it all the first night... balance is the key. I guess it's the key to life as well.

• Like Like x 2
  5. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of my all time favorite Clint Eastwood lines, this one from The Gauntlet: "a man's gotta know his limitations". Learn it, love it, live it. Same goes for a woman.

I have both attended and worked a booth at Vegas trade shows. Never been to a conference where I had to be in a room at a specific time with a note pad looking at spreadsheets and powerpoint presentations and listening to speakers. Not to minimize trade shows, as you need to be on your "A" game, especially if you are paying for a booth and you want to meet new prospects.

You have attended conferences in the past, so try to adhere to a similar routine. If you can handle a couple of after work drinks and then going to dinner and splitting a bottle of wine, go for it. You can have the end of the work day cocktails in front of a slot machine or playing at the tables, so you will actually be doing two things at once, hence more efficient. The most important thing is to make sure you're at the top of the list for the next Vegas conference, so don't disappoint your boss.

My biggest piece of advice is to take some time for yourself after the conference and stay a couple days after it wraps up. Then let your freak flag fly. But make sure you took good notes in case the booze kills some of those brain cells that you used on the boss' dime.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lady Fortuna

Lady Fortuna Blessed with luck and ignorance...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Curious why you say "despite" it is in November? What's wrong with November?

Would be great if you could extend your stay after the conference, so you can take it easy and focus during the conference and go wild afterwards.

In any way, you are one lucky guy!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats on the news, spdandpwr!
    My requests to attend conferences/conventions in Vegas have all been denied over the years.
    Thanks a lot, Minneapolis, for hosting so many exciting alternatives!

RICHARD

• Like Like x 1
  8. iamsomedude

iamsomedude High-Roller

A place that is not Las Vegas, but I wish it was.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seems like you already know what to do. For me, I need a good itinerary and the self-control to follow it. Having a plan, with specific times that I need to leave, eat, or get ready, is extremely important to me on work trips. Because the trip is for work and Las Vegas is full of distractions, before the trip, I would personally think of the goals that I'm trying to achieve and the questions I would expect to have to ask and/or answer at the conference. I'd also make my own cheat sheet to take on the trip to review right before I get to the conference, just in case my mind's not at 100% during the trip.

• Like Like x 1
  9. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

Thanks for the tips, everyone! I was planning on getting in early and enjoying the weekend and then leaving the conference when it ends on Wednesday. It's one of those conferences where I can go to sessions as I please but don't need to go to all. So I'm feeling confident -- as well, your responses have definitely elevated my comfort in attending this conference.

However, last time I was in Vegas for a 7 day conference / bender (6 months ago), I had some symptoms of alcohol withdrawal which is not fun. As I think about it -- it's kinda crazy -- every time I come back from Vegas, I'm never 100%. Must be something they're pumping in the air.

10. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

Nothing wrong with November, I just prefer pool season in Vegas.

• Like Like x 1
  11. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have to ask, is your company giving you any gambling money or just food money?:whistle:

Never been to Vegas for a conference, but I suspect I would attempt to treat it as any other location :
    It would be business first. If I normally would do stuff afterward like study the notes from that day's conference or prep for the next day then that is the rule.
    If it so happens that free time occurs (not forced) then its play time but still no drinking as I don't drink when away at conferences.

Finally, I would definitely do what you did which is to extend the trip. Once the conference is over then its officially Vegas time. :headbang:

12. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

Room, food and flight, which means I'll have a bigger bankroll ;)

Can't wait for the trip! Think I'm going to split between V/P and pH to mix it up a little

13. gotChopin

gotChopin Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Make sure you put in a little work while you're there though. lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. squidward

squidward Probationary Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First make sure you check-in with the conference/convention and get all the credentials to prove you attended.

Make "meetings" with only 20 - 30 year old sales people to leave an audit trail of activity and get their cell phone numbers... tell them about all the Vegas Hot Spots when making appointments. Call them just before the meeting time and 99% of the time they will cancel or delay. Then agree to keep it a "secret" and will follow up with calls so their bosses don't find out.

Make one day a "walk -through" to collect enough sales brochures and gimme bags to further document your attendance. Also remember to memorize the physical layout of the facilities to further enhance this "ruse". This of course will be your "sober" day!

Never ever agree to sit on a discussion board or to show up for an award!

Big conventions are easy, small conferences... will you are screwed and will have to follow the responsible advice above?

Oh yea... the most important advice is to see if the company you work for will reimburse you on an IRS approved per-diem basis. Then book down-town rooms, ride the bus, and stay drunk and gamble 90% of the time on their dime!

Not that I have ever done this?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A quick pic with a company big-wig/figurehead/corporate mascot/promotional celebrity on walk-through day would be a nice touch!
    You never know when you'll need a pic of you and the ShamWow guy!

• Like Like x 1
  16. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

This conference is less a sales conference and more an industry conference. There will be keynote speakers that I want to see. I have only one employee from my company going but I'm planning on having him attend different sessions.

17. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My first solo trip to LV was for a conference at the LVCC back in the 1990s. I had been to, and participated in conferences and trade shows for decades before so I was familiar with them, plus a friend from another area was attending the same show so I did have someone to hang with.

One thing I should point out is that for most conferences you will do a LOT of walking. More so than at conference facilities in other cities. At LVCC the trek to the South Hall rooms from ANYWHERE can be quite a walk. At Mandalay, ditto from about anywhere. If your conference is heavy on exhibits, plan on walking walking walking!

I enjoy doing conferences solo, actually. If you're with co-workers or worse with clients, you're really trapped into a schedule dictated by others. Dining and occasionally entertainment choices are often times determined by what everyone is willing to put up with. :) If clients are among you, you let them dictate. If you're the only female in an otherwise group of men (LOL!) prepare for some touchy and even awkward conversation regarding what to do after the evening meal. LOL! :) I'm usually direct about excusing myself to do my own thing and let the guys go off to go "clubbing" and such.

Then (again LOL) there's the art of burying alcohol on your expense report. :) :) :) The buffet at the old LV Hilton used to include beer and wine with the meals. I'm not sure if Westgate does this anymore. Flamingo buffet brunch does to a certain extent with their "champagne and bloody mary bar" but the bartender will make anything you want with what they have. Battista's (yes, I know!) has AYCD house wine with each dinner.

I know I'll think of more right after I hit POST. :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What's a "sober" day????

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

Less than 10 alcoholic beverages lol.

By the way, the conference is at the Paris. WTF, I didn't think Paris had conference rooms. I refuse to stay in that old-ass hotel. I was able to squeeze an Ultra Hip Room at pH for the same price

20. sxr007

sxr007 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I go to Vegas 4 to 6 times a year for conventions. Owning my own business, I don't have set guidelines what I must attend while I am there. However, attending the conventions is vital to my business.

I always show up a day or two early. This allows me to unwind and enjoy Vegas. A couple days into a Vegas trip I am ready to slow down. Attend the convention etc. But, I never go for a full day. I will either do a morning or afternoon work session. Work real hard for a few hours then it is Vegas time again.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.