1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Uber drivers checked?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by glock77, Oct 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glock77

glock77 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just read in NYC, UBER drivers Not
    required to have medical exams, be fingerprinted, or drug tested. Anyone know if this is required in Las Vegas?

2. vegasbound

vegasbound VIP Whale

There is a background check and vehicle inspection. No fingerprints or drug tests.

3. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I seriously doubt if uber drivers could possibly be more scary than vegas cabbies, what kind of medical exams you want them to get?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I took about 8 uber rides the past few days in Vegas and every one was great. My wife was a little leery about uber at first but she's sold now.

• Like Like x 1
  5. PsyDoc

PsyDoc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Please excuse my lack of knowledge: Are cab drivers in the US required to have medical exams, be fingerprinted, or drug tested? In most western countries I am sure they are not. In my home country, there is no way of implementing such requirements.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  6. Swing4fun

Swing4fun Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We use Uber every time we are in town. We have never had a bad experience. They are faster, nicer, and cheaper then cabs. We are all for Uber, oh and if the driver pulls up and you don't feel comfortable with them just like a cab don't get in! Tell the driver you're not comfortable and order a different driver. They won't get offended they will just pick up another person and forget about you (other than rating you 1 or no stars).

7. Canuckguy

Canuckguy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do know that taxi drivers are required to have federal background checks and they are fingerprinted. I would guess if they work for a cab company that provides a car, they would have to a medical exam done for insurance purposes, but I am not sure.

Canuckguy

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. PsyDoc

PsyDoc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info.

9. FuzzyDiceCraps

FuzzyDiceCraps VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When you get in the taxi line, you take whatever cabbie pulls up next. I've had some pretty scary cab rides. When I get an Uber I see the driver's rating before I commit to the ride, and have the ability to reject a driver I don't want to ride with if I don't like his rating, his picture, or even the kind of car he's driving. I can even restrict the drivers that are eligible to accept my fare based on factors such as ratings. An Uber driver with bad reviews won't last very long, the same driver can remain a cabbie forever.

I avoid cabbies like the plague, but I have absolutely no issue with Uber in Vegas, its quick, its easy, its safe, and its a heck of a lot cheaper than the cabs.

10. glock77

glock77 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think each jurisdiction sets it's own rules about background checks. So if they require fingerprints and someone has a conviction that would bar them from getting taxi license, they could drive for uber or lyft. Suppose conviction(s) is for dwi or serious felony?
    Also wondering if they require certain amount of insurance on uber or Lyft cars. Like more than minimum. Anyone know?

11. M0rtyC

M0rtyC TBD

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Both companies have a master policy covering liability.

12. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have some cabbies that I am sure could not pass a drug or mental capability or saneness test.

The good thing about the Uber/Lyft operation? -- the driver gets a rating after each ride. Don't you wish you could do that with cabbies?

13. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If the ride is canceled on either end, meaning rider or driver, no ratings are issued so that is not a concern.

I know both Uber and Lyft did a federal background check on me when I applied and I have lived in the same state all my life. I had copies of the background checks sent to me to ensure all was as it should be. Not that I was concerned (my CCW and employment does background checks often) but I was curious.

14. Canuckguy

Canuckguy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

I knew Uber did background checks, but I don't believe they do a federal background check, I believe its sourced through a company. I believe for taxi drivers theirs go through the state or FBI.

Canuckguy

15. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was a third party that did the check but they did a nationwide records check which they claim includes an FBI recoreds check. In reality not sure how since the FBI requires finger prints.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.