1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

MGM - attending a convention

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by PrincessaMyron, Oct 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrincessaMyron

PrincessaMyron Low-Roller

Greetings -

I've only stayed in the Marquis Suite at the MGM once, so please forgive my ignorance.

I'm attending a convention at the property and have reserved a West Wing King something. Is the WW close to the convention center area, or should I try to swap out/upgrade/$20 trick, etc. when I check in?

Also, do they every comp/back off the 'resort fee'? I typically stay downtown and the idea of paying $35/night for wifi (along with 20K other guests) seems a bit much?

Thanks in advance!
    Lauren in TX

2. guapoxxx

guapoxxx High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi Lauren,

The West Wing rooms and the Conference Center are on opposite ends of the MGM property. If that's not acceptable, I'd rebook to a Grand Tower room to be closer to the Conference Center or try upgrading when you check-in. Also, the West Wing rooms are nice but a bit small in size.

Charlie

Annual Golf Trip
  3. WHU66

WHU66 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Regards the resort fee, we had ours 'comped' back end at the end of our trip, just asked at the players club based on our play. Guess it depends what you gamble/spend....but we had no issues

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hated the west wing room they tried to put me in. I went straight down to the desk and got moved to a tower room. The west wing is a converted motel room. Very tiny, 1 small port hole window.

5. PrincessaMyron

Thanks for the info - yuck, yuck yuck on the WW so wish me luck in changing that puppy!

6. VegasTravelNews

VegasTravelNews MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree with all the comments. Most folks don't like WW rooms and it is a hike from WW to the Conf Center.

Keep in mind that if the convention at the MGM you are attending is very large, it might mean the occupancy rate at the hotel is higher than normal. This means it could be harder to upgrade for free/$20.

If you end up in a WW room and are really unhappy, call the front desk or go there and complain. They might move you. You have nothing to lose.

7. PrincessaMyron

It's like 15k people, so I'm sure the place will be packed. Would a $50 trick work better than a $20 trick or are they basically yes or no, regardless of denomination? Thanks for the on the WW rooms!

8. TXCajuns

TXCajuns Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When is your convention?

9. xjjx

xjjx Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Honestly with that many people, it is unlikely that you will get an upgrade. You are better off booking what you want.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had around 2500 people at our convention & they were pushing our attendees out of the tower rooms & into WW rooms because most were one per room. One friend said he needed a compass lol. (Obviously we did not fill hotel but regular travelers were there too). So you might not get an upgrade & may want to consider pre-booking the room type you want.

We were in tower & it was 1000 steps for me from door of elevators to main door of conference center. Then the add'l distance to each class/meeting room. It really was a pain when you forgot something in room............And obviously even further from WW.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    Easter again..:
  11. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spend the extra $ and stay in the main tower.
    Convention center is a long walk from the main tower rooms.
    You have to leave the building(enclosed tunnel) and walk around the pool complex.
    WW rooms are small and on the other end of the galaxy from the convention center.

12. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What about staying at The Signature? Usually it's a pretty far walk to everything, but looking at MGM Grand's map online, it seems like it shouldn't be too bad. There's people movers from the 3 towers to the pool area which would cut down walking a bit, plus you would get a pretty decent room. Heading anywhere else can be a hike though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.