1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

MGM properties Run of house rooms ?

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by vegasqc, Oct 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vegasqc

vegasqc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Started hotel shopping for an upcoming trip and noticed that most MGM properties have Run of houses room on their website

lets use MGM Grand for example

I can get a West Wing room (cheapest they have) for an Avg. of 105$ per night
    Next level is Grand Queen at 130$ per night Avg.

In Between theres the Run of House room at 117$ Average with type assigned at check in.

I know its a gamble and will get the type of room with the highest vacancy but is there a chance to get a west wing room and end up on the losing end of things ?

2. VegasTravelNews

VegasTravelNews MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess it depends on how important room size is to you. West Wing rooms are the smallest (it is the old Marina Hotel that MGM bought and built the MGM Grand around). On the plus side, you would have the shortest walk to Las Vegas Blvd.
    West Wing room = 350 sq ft
    Grand Queen = 446 sq ft

3. vegasqc

vegasqc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know all about that thanks, i was asking if i could end up in a west wing room after booking a run of the house room, i would just end up screwing myself out of 12$ a night x7.

4. KevinF2020

KevinF2020 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First, I have no idea if you could end up with a West Wing King if you book the "Run of House".

But, If you're OK with the West Wing King, but are hoping to get the Grand Queen, I'd suggest just to book the West Wing King. I've personally never tried the $20 trick there, but have been upgraded (on a couple occasions) from the WW King to the Grand Queen/King, just for being friendly. I gave a tip after getting the upgrade, but honestly I don't think you should be paying $84 ($12 x 7) for the "chance" at an upgrade - which it sounds like what you'd be doing. Since it totally depends on what's available at the time you check in, you're probably almost or just as likely to get the upgrade if you are friendly than if you paid for the "Run of House" upgrade fee (or you can try the $20 trick).

Also I think it depends on the property. I think MGM has a lot more Grand Queen/King rooms than WW rooms, so you're much more likely to get that free upgrade than say Mandalay, where a free upgrade is usually just a high strip view or something and not actually a larger/nicer room.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck and have fun!

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Knucklehead69

Knucklehead69 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have done run of the house many times at the MGM Grand as well as other MGM resorts and always gotten the room I wanted. I don't think you will have a problem.

6. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Do you ask for the room? I booked a run of the house type on hotels.com figuring I would just get the lowest room, just another marketing sale for them...I could actually get a nicer room? Got to be extra nice!!!! I never have luck with the $20 tip. They always tell me thats not needed :(

7. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back when I was in college and worked in hotels (decades ago) ROTH (Run Of The House) was the term used for whatever room was available, usually selling the less desirable ones first. Terminology may have changed. I know that "Rack Rate" has a totally different meaning now than it did then.

8. MacAttack

MacAttack VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did 'run of the house' room with the Bellagio a couple of weeks ago and we were given one of the older (ie not remodelled) rooms and were a bit disappointed. It was a busty weekend in September so that would have added to it. I probably would not go with it again.

Half Solo - Bellagio Trip
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.