1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Possibly driving to Vegas

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by IWannaBeInVegas, Sep 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love the feedback and I am getting ideas. I hope I have time to maybe take a few secondary roads, may not. The great thing about Honda's is they have a computer that tells when its do for service. I always take it in about a 1000 miles early and if I know I am going on a road trip, it gets an extra visit. I had a 2015 and traded in on the 2016. As long as my warranty is still good I wont need AAA but if it gets close, I will get it. I know you all think I am crazy saying that, but I have had the car for just under 3 months and have put 10k on the clock due to my Uber and a couple out of state drives I did. I am cutting back on uber some though so hopefully I can curb some of those miles.

2. justdeb

justdeb hey look!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i do the San Diego to Vegas trip a few times a year. Just to switch things up i take the 78 to the 93/95 into Vegas. i call it the back way.
    it goes up along the Arizona California border. It's all 2 lane roads, rarely has any traffic to speak of. It's a nice break.

3. Jejas

Jejas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love long haul road trips. Done a few round trips from southwest to Boston.
    But as solo, I would just fly and rent a car in Vegas.
    It's cheaper, quicker and easier.

4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seriously, don't overthink this. My Honda (2007 Ridgeline) has god knows how many 4000-5000 mile road trips on it and many more roadies to the PNW and AZ and Utah, all around CA. I just did a eight-day 2000 miler to Eugene, Bend and then back home in a nonstop. It has 106,000 miles on it. It's a freakin' Honda. It's been over the Rockies, over the Sierra multiple times, over the (low) Siskiyous and Cascades many times, across the desert in summer way more than many times, through the snow. I'm solo on many of these excursions.

Warranty and AAA are different animals. AAA gets you to a place that can make a warranty fix (or not), it doesn't do the fix. But as with all types of insurance you just have to balance the $$$$ and probablity, and decide if you just want to "self-insure." And if you go flatline in BFE the towing limits on even the upgraded membership might not get you to a place that can handle anything past a Rambler. I love the AAA maps and the charging and flat service, the short-hop tows, help because those are things my wife would just rather not deal with on her own. Anyway, yours is a brand new freakin' Honda, do not overthink this.

Back routes are fun. And even at that it's not like you're part of the Mormon exodus with a handcart. Don't overthink this.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  5. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1000 miles a day is easy, if you start out at 70-75MPH and up it closer to 80 when you get farther west, the miles will fly by, the trick is not to waste time on stops. You fill up, piss and go, if you grab a bite, you eat it in the car. I would take an extra day or two getting there, seeing a few new things, but on the way back home, you push hard all day.

6. IWannaBeInVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Honda offers free roadside service on all Hondas since 2015. It is good for as long as the warranty is in effect, that was my reasoning.

The more I think this threw, the more i hope I get to do the trip. Who knows, maybe I will break down and pay for boarding for the dog for the time and make my son come with me, as long as he has internet, he can do school work. He will be 16, getting his license, he would more than likely enjoy doing some highway driving during the way, supervised of course.

7. ShelbyCharger

ShelbyCharger MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have driven many times. About 1,600 miles, or 25 hour drive. Self employed. Love the freedom of arriving and staying as long as I want. No flying or time stress.

8. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I totally love the United States highway system.........driving this many miles on pretty darn decent roads is such a treat. I will be driving almost as many on my up coming Vegas trip and consider it a privilege and a treat.

Red Bull, Sirius, and GPS !

Woo hoo :woot:.....here I come ! :usa:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It sounds like you take your planning very Siriusly, Camp Rusty!
    Have a great trip!

RICHARD

10. IWannaBeInVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    See, I have to drink Mt Dew, don't like those energy drinks, the rest yep, XM and GPS

• Like Like x 1
  11. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm with you on that one! :beer:

12. catman

catman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have done the LV drive from Cincinnati twice now, and will do it again in March for March Madness. If you do take I-70 thru Utah, watch out for a 100 mile stretch between Salina and Green River...there are no exits, no gas, no food, no nothing but great scenery. BTW, in Salina ther is a wonderful small diner called Mom's Cafe. We hit there for breakfast one time, and the food was very good.

13. IWannaBeInVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Curious how far you make it in a day. Also, have you taken I40? Something in my memory says there was a spot on I40 in AZ where you went like 60-100 miles without gas and that the only gas station before it was super highly inflated.

14. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A 60+ mile "void" in the West isn't an anomaly. If you are concerned get out a map and see what a site like gasbuddy.com or similar has to say.

It's a Honda, don't overthink this. Your red-light range might get you that far, anyway!

15. kel3420

kel3420 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We drove for he first time from Chicago to Vegas two years ago. Hubbie did most of the driving. Drove straight thru and stopped in CO in the way in. Stopped and slept in a random truck stop the way home. We decided to do this trip and join our friends at the last minute. Airfare was crazy high. We also plan on retiring to Vegas and wanted to see how bad the ride was. It wasnt awful. Really. We also would have saved a ton of money had I not gotten a $250 speeding ticket on the way home. Grrr

16. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had two 100+ mile sections with no services yesterday and lived to talk about it. :) There will usually be a sign saying "No services for XX Miles" before your last opportunity. I just try to keep a half-tank if I can when out in the boonies.

17. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, there are some spots out there in southeastern Oregon, through central Nevada, where the biggest something is nothing.

18. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That was my yesterday. There's a long, hot, dry stretch between Ely, NV and Pioche. I think it's 70 something miles. I saw a guy WALKING it. :blink: He had three huge jugs of water over his shoulders and a big backpack. Insane!

I didn't even want to drive it at 75mph. ;)

19. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    lol

The Sunday LA Times had a travel piece on Ely.

20. PsyDoc

PsyDoc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Two years ago, I was driving from Las Vegas to Los Angeles. I enjoyed driving through Mojave National Preserve. Nothing particular to see there, but I really liked the overall landscape (and the lack of traffic).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.