1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What do you say when coworkers ask you where you're going, and you don't want to say?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Multifarious5, Sep 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karlmonday

karlmonday Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My co-workers know I play poker so a few will ask what my best hands and worst beat was during the trip and they want the details.

2. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Retired now but back in the day of raising the kids our vacations included 14 DisneyWorld trips and my fellow workers always commented "so you're headed to Disney" whenever I told them them I was leaving for vacation. Years later when we discovered Vegas and quickly fell in love with it (I used to be one of those folks who didn't have a clue as to why anyone would go to Vegas), when fellow workers asked where we were going my answer changed to "we're headed to DisneyWorld West"; everyone laughed and knew where we were headed!

• Like Like x 3
  3. phade

phade Keeping tabs on LV while not there...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Similar situation here - while not a director I report to one as a manager of a large group - and I have the same "issues." I get fewer questions when I go on a cruise or to Florida than I do when I go to Vegas. I definitely work in a company where the values assessment of that particular vacationer is being made in situations like this. A couple of my peer managers are completely cool in a IDGAF/Did you have fun mindset, but others straight up ask me if I gamble and what I do there. Annoying. I never ask people anything other than whether they enjoyed their trip or time off. I couldn't care less if they went to Disney or Bangkok or LV unless they want to tell me about it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

I think I'll just start lying and say I'm going to Napa valley

5. CalifLovesVegas

CalifLovesVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Napa Valley?
    That answer Doesn't work when you live near there. lol

I quit telling people about my trips long time ago.

Unless they are like minded and understand what I do? I don't share squat.
    People get jealous, or think youre wasting your money, or avoiding your family,
    or got too much time on your hands, or.......

Easier to just Not say.

• Like Like x 1
  6. bribhoy

bribhoy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "Hiking in the desert" which, if you're going to walk the Strip, is the literal truth. I'm a poker player like karlmonday and certainly never feel the need to apologise for my Vegas holiday - even the three weeks I took this year during the WSOP and the same thing next year. However, I do also talk to them about the outstanding natural beauty that exists all around and within easy driving distance of the city itself and the opportunities that exist to enjoy a radical contrast of environments that I don't think anywhere else in the world can offer.

7. guapoxxx

guapoxxx High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a manager and those within my division know I travel to Vegas at least once per year (April-May timeframe) for my annual golf trip (and possibly twice like this year). :woohoo:

Unlike when I was a bachelor and went 5-6 times per year... Good ol' days!

I also have a countdown timer (on my dry erase board) in my office so no secrets here! :woot:

Annual Golf Trip
  8. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Funny story. Before my dad died and before 9/11 he had mileage that was expiring that day. He quickly booked a flight to vegas and called me if I wanted to go to vegas that evening (he was already going on a junket the next day so instead of letting the miles expire....). In those days you could book with your first name as an initial and since we both had the same initials I could use it. He told me around 4 pm so I only had about 4 hours to pack and get to the airport. Not a problem, esp for a free trip, ha ha.

I got to vegas and checked in. From the pay phone at the Cal I called in to work to say I was sick. As I was talking to the secretary a machine nearby started to go "ding ding ding". The secretary started to laugh and told me "don't get too sick up there, lol". Luckily she was a good friend so I wasn't in any trouble.

That same day I was playing on the crap table and lo and behold, one of my coworkers came up to me and laughed at me. I knew she was going to vegas and wished her good luck before she left. I usually told her and my other friends when I go so she was surprised to see me up there. I laughed and told her my story and we had a good chuckle.

Funny also because after that whenever I called in sick for a few days she would ask me how vegas was, thinking that maybe I went to vegas again, ha ha.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Edserv

Edserv Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never had a problem telling people I'm going to Vegas. I've owned a couple small businesses and we even do company trips there (trade show lol.)
    People who make negative comments are usually just bitter people in general.

10. justdeb

justdeb hey look!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i tell them. i don't think i could keep it a secret anyway. Vegas is my guilty pleasure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. dhlamar

dhlamar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here in Southern California, everyone goes to Vegas and there really isn't a stigma. It's one of the places you can drive to.

That said, when we go for a week for our annual family vacation, we go to a national park in Utah for a day or two as cover. Just so nobody thinks they should call child protection services.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I worked for the school districts, I had to lie because people are closed minded (if i told them I was going to a gambling destination more than once in my life, they figured I had a problem)
    In the sf bay area...people do wild shit with their money (i.e.: Burning Man), so they don't blink an eye when I say I'm going to vegas (there's only two camps..never been, or been once and hated it)

14. X-Man

X-Man Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just come out and say it. Screw it. There is so much to do there now that it doesn't seem as sketchy to hear about someone visiting.

15. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What an interesting thread!

I've not encountered any finger-wagging-den-of-iniquity type pushback on Vegas. I have, as one would expect, had a few expressions about being too fond of my money to just give it away - but I counter with explaining that it's adult entertainment. Whereas I just stare in wide eyed wonder at the dinero that these hard working members of the proletariat drop to dash through the gates of Disney. Maybe a long time back, there was some hairy-eyeballin' a trip to Vegas, but probably not so much now.

I will say that my bible-thumpin' Sunday-go-to-meetin' relations back on the rural route kind of throw out the vibe that "I wanna go! Take me next time". Not what I would expect...at all! :woot:

'Cause once per annum is insufficient...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.