1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Amazing find at Costco ::Steak inside::

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by NmtMev, Sep 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BaileyPaws

BaileyPaws Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most of our Vegas pals on this board usually go to Vegas and eat at fancy restaurants (or good and cheap resturants) and I saw a few posts a while back about which steakhouse is the best. A quality steakhouse will usually throw out big phrases like "dry aged/wet aged", "hand cut daily", "Midwestern/Angus Prime Beef". Etc... I will even dare say that 95% of the resturants in the USA source there beef from either IBP or JBS (both have sub brands such as Angus beef, blue ribbon...etc please feel free to explore them at your leisure) that other 5% of restaurants source locally and from independent and or not includong organic grass fed sources.

Normally at your local costco you can find some great "Prime grade" beef.(it really is prime it's just a slightly lower grade then what the restuarant a get)
    Beef Packers grade on a totally different level so a restuarant or distributor can go in and say " Hey I want prime a5 or something like that!" And get a higher graded steak for example then just regular old you and me.

Now occasionally costco will get bone in ribeye roasts. These occasions are strictly around thanksgiving, then again around Xmas and new years and finally around easter. The costco near me started selectively carrying these..
    [​IMG]

If anyone is not familiar with that piece of meat it is called the "Tamahawk ribeye eye" this piece is sitting at around 3lbs and can feed 2 (sound familiar?)
    It has this crazy kind of primal bone sticking out that makes you just wanna go Fred Flintstone on this thing! The price is pretty good considering what you get...but that wasn't enough for me.

I needed to dig deeper like I always do. Every time they have this "special event" Every few months they have a special meat case they roll out just like when they have the sea food road show. It's filled with these tamahawk ribeyes and beef ribs etc. The whole loin has been ELUSIVE EVER SINCE THEY STARTED DOING THIS ABOUT 1.5YRS AGO! ...
    That all changed today... it was my lucky day.

Apparently for labor day they had the special show going on and they had a few steaks left over and they put them in those cute blue packages. I saw a butcher out delivering other things early in the morning and just for shits and giggles (I always ask every damn time I see these) hey do you happen to have a full loin of the tamahawk bone in ribeyes I say....

You should have seen the look on my face when he said yes we do...you should have also seen the tear almost coming out when he told me I would haveto speak to the meat department manager because they never sold a whole loin (at least that he knows of)....so here we go.

Doing the dance shaking the stick it was agreed that he would only sell me one after a friendly conversation. ( I wanted both of the last 2 they had!!!) But anyways here it is folks!
    [​IMG]

And the tall boy for reference...
    [​IMG]

I've gotten bone in around Xmas time a few times before they sell out but this thing was a monster. A different breed. Take a look at the weight...and the price.. 28ish lbs of heaven... my goodness I finally scored.

If anyone replys and is interested I will be cutting this thing up in the next few days, I can post pictures of how to and the final product!

I WILL BE cooking the blue package tonight... there might be some pictures coming. Only reason I bought that extra piece is because I didn't wanna hassle with the 30lb'er tonight but wanted to cook steak! Here we go again!

• Like Like x 3
  2. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looks good! Some ready-to-eat pics would be appreciated, of either package.

3. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is an awesome find! I agree with Ty--I can't wait to see the "after" pics.

When I accompany my bride to Costco--across the border in MN--all I usually get is bruises from getting shoved/elbowed by people pillaging the free sample kiosks like it's the end of days!

RICHARD

4. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lacking confidence in my cooking skills, at those prices, I'd rather buy the steak in a restaurant.

5. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Get a thermocouple thermometer and learn to use it. Allow steaks to rest before serving. You can make excellent steak at home.

6. BaileyPaws

BaileyPaws Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here is the last easter finished product... mind you this was just regular bone in prime ribeye... notice the short bones. There is one rib roast. Rib bones for bbq on the WsM behind it and 10 boneless steaks on the right hand side.. [​IMG]

7. BaileyPaws

BaileyPaws Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  8. BaileyPaws

BaileyPaws Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will post pictures when I cut this one up and see how the marbling is... you can never tell through the cryovac package... it's just a gamble!

9. BaileyPaws

BaileyPaws Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here is what tonight's home b-day dinner looks like (I work tomorrow night and say night so this is my one shot)
    [​IMG]

Steak and Alaskan king crab will be accompanied by garlic asparagus and grilled peppers. ( no potatoes as per request of the b-day girl...)

• Like Like x 2
  10. BaileyPaws

BaileyPaws Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. BaileyPaws

BaileyPaws Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And honestly... I'm just testing out a :Live: Cook while sloshed to make sure I can come through on that trip report!

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. BaileyPaws

BaileyPaws Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [​IMG]

The fire has been started! Notice the piece of red oak in the front... yup that's that extra layer of flavor...that's to my boys at Southbay Firewood! (We get all our wood there! Awsome place!)

Can't forget the gasser spirit for the fixins.. need to get er hottest and scrape. I got a lodge cast iron griddle on the right side for my asparagus and garlic... may flip it around to the straight side we will see.. [​IMG]

13. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love to see pics of hot topless grills on the web! Thanks!

RICHARD

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. BaileyPaws

BaileyPaws Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [​IMG]

It has begun.... I'm treating this steak like I would a big trip tip... no direct heat in the beginning just lots of ambient heat and a little smoke...

• Like Like x 1
  15. BaileyPaws

BaileyPaws Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [​IMG]

Killing time.... literally

16. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    NmtMev,
    Don't get scratcher dust on the meat!

RICHARD

17. BaileyPaws

BaileyPaws Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [​IMG]

Doubled my money... yes!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. BaileyPaws

BaileyPaws Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [​IMG]

Working....

19. BaileyPaws

BaileyPaws Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [​IMG]

Still got a ways to go... just a bone flip...

20. BaileyPaws

BaileyPaws Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [​IMG]
    My right hand man....

• Like Like x 6
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.