1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Downtown pinball

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by Vegas Insight, Aug 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't believe I missed this recently. Major fail on my part. And I just recorded a podcast about things to do in Vegas, including pinball.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fremont-arcade-downtown-las-vegas-fremont-street-experience

And I had no idea there were supposed to be a bunch of pins in the NYNY, not that I would have went to play them, not when I have access to so much more down Tropicana Ave.

A few years ago I thought that the empty Neonopolis would benefit from having a PHOF annex. I'm not the only one who thought it was a good idea, obviously. I look forward to being downtown on Halloween, even if it's not PHOF machines I'll be playing.

• Like Like x 1
  2. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is a helpful post and I appreciate you providing it, as I myself have been known to engage in the pastime in question.

Regarding the title of the post, this is quite a leap forward from Downton Abbey. What an odd sequel!

3. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd edit, but I don't think it lets me edit titles. Considering I refer to the show I never watched as Downtown Abbey, perhaps I"m going to start referring to Downton Vegas.

And stop correctingg my typeos!

4. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pinball Hall of Fame is where to go. Lots of fun, you can play machines from the 40's to current.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm with you vic, there are so many unique, cool things at the PHOF that you won't find elsewhere. I'm pretty sure it's the only place you can find a playable "Pinball Circus" machine, given only a few prototypes were produced.

And there are some great, rare machines, pinball and otherwise, that you're just not going to find out in the wild. The really old machine that kinda looks like roulette, but is basically craps, is amazing to see in action. And there's a poker game using bouncy balls in a cabinet with 25 holes for the balls to drop into. I dump four or five bucks into that machine every time I'm there, simply because it's addicting trying to chase full houses and four-of-a-kind, despite the fact the only thing you win is free games.

But for those of us who enjoy the PHOF and enjoy staying in Downton Vegas, it's great to have access to machines much closer that east of Maryland on Tropicana. I make at least one appearance at the PHOF during ever Vegas trip, and I welcome an opportunity to spend an hour playing pinball at Neonopolis, too.

6. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll play pinball anywhere/anytime. I agree, it's great there's an option in the downtown area. I've always wanted to get my own machine but I know I'll get tired of it so I never do.

7. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yes, you'll get tired of it, so then you have to buy another one. i'm still on machine No. 1, a sentimental favorite, and life makes it unlikely i'll own machine No. 2 any time soon. of course i wasn't prepared to buy machine No. 1 when i pulled the trigger.

8. Johnzimbo

Johnzimbo VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice, don't get downtown often but will check this place out!

Annual me and Pete
  9. VegasTravelNews

VegasTravelNews MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  10. stormins

stormins Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you! This is awesome news. I always plan a trip to PHOF whenever I go, and since I'm staying Downtown, I definitely have to check this out.

11. jimboguy

jimboguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I visited Fremont Arcade on Friday shortly after 11am. I stayed for about an hour. The pinball selection is certainly smaller than PHOF, but the games Fremont Arcade has are new-looking with lots of bells and whistles you won't find on the standard versions of the same pinball games elsewhere.

Most pinball machines were $1 for one play or three plays for $2.
    There is also a giant Pac Man, Time Crisis 5, a Transformers game, and a couple of those crane machines.

It's worth checking out before or after having a beer at Banger Brewery.

12. yooperguy

yooperguy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On my do list. Thanks for the info!

13. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're unlikely to ever find a collection of playable machines like the PHOF, unfortunately, although there's a bit of a trend nationally in building similar collections that are more like museums and less like arcades and billiard halls. Fremont Arcade doesn't strike me as a place to go if you want to relive the glory of your youth from the '60s, '70s or '80s, but there is a crowd in every major city that likes the latest and greatest in pinball action, and I hope the downtown Fremont location can attract enough locals and tourists to thrive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.