1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Old Fashioned as a Comp'd Drink

Discussion in 'Comps' started by jaydub525, Sep 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaydub525

jaydub525 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Usually just a JD and Coke guy, but have recently caught the bug for a nicely made bourbon Old Fashioned. I'm heading out in mid-october and was wondering what kind of whiskey I could get at CET properties. (Those are my home base)

I realize I might just want to stick to the ease of Jack and Coke but was curious to my options.

Thanks for the help guys.

2. kkinwi

kkinwi VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure about the high end whiskey, and I stick with Seagram's, BUT my experience is the old fashions are VERY different than the way we make them in WI. Several have been more like manhattens, so I just stick to 7 & 7's.

3. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you like an Old Fashioned, try a Sazerac. Rye Whiskey, absinthe, sugar cube, bitters, lemon peel. Probably won't get this comped, but if you get a big win, treat yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  4. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are gold at CET properties best bourbon you can get is beam.

Your best bet is to go to Cosmo and go to one of the vp bars and get an old fashioned there... so much better made, better bourbon and better garnishes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chairman Meow

Chairman Meow Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have ordered an Old Fashioned on the floor a few times, at Monte Carlo, Luxor and other MGM properties.. what I got each time was nothing like and Old Fashioned so I gave up. I did order one at the VP bar in Monte Carlo and it was a lot better, and comped. The only decent ones I have had to pay for - also I second the Sazerac idea, it's a lovely drink.

6. cloud9

cloud9 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The comped Old Fashions at the Cromwell and Aria were delicious on our last trip! Also ordered at Mandalay Bay and MGM and they were mediocre at best.

7. remmerde

remmerde VMB's Resident Cigar Sommelier

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh yes, worth the coin if it's made right!

8. LBTRS

LBTRS Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I drank many Old Fashioned at the Flamingo in July and they are nothing like I make at home. They were not bad but definitely not something I would seek out.

9. jaydub525

jaydub525 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been trying new whiskeys. You say win big...what would this cost me? Where would you say best spot for ordering something like this is, mid strip?

10. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, but I have not had a Sazerac in Vegas.....yet. It might not be comped while playing, but it never hurts to ask. So in case they don't comp it, just treat yourself. As for the cost, it should probably run about the same as a Manhattan using a higher end "call" whiskey. Probably $10-20. Fortunately, rye whiskey is getting popular as is absinthe, so I would think most upscale bars will have both on hand. Maybe check out the Mandarin Oriental bar.

My go to cocktail is a well crafted Manhattan, it's a thing of beauty, but it's pretty amazing how many bartenders mess it up. Too many think it's just a brown martini with a couple dashes of vermouth. The glass should be chilled, cherry must have a stem, gotta have bitters, stirred not shaken.

And for God's sake, please give me a damn cocktail napkin, even in the desert,

11. Birdie7

Birdie7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cosmo had very good one 2 years ago. I had one in July and it wasn't as good as before.

12. ruralhipster

ruralhipster High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember getting bulleit bourbon at the Cromwell, in Reno I was shocked that the bartender checked my card and told me that he could give maker's, woodford, or gentleman jack as a diamond. Was totally impressed, a five dollar tip got me doubles from then on playing quarters. I usually try for a boulevardier (bourbon negroni) or whiskey sour if it's jim beam or other house bourbon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.