1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Wife's First Trip to Vegas

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by jnohl1231, Sep 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnohl1231

jnohl1231 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hello all, I just ran across this forum when researching for an upcoming trip and I am glad I did!

I have been to Vegas once about 5 years ago and now I am taking my wife there for the first time in the last week of September. She has always wanted to go and I was able to find some pretty cheap airfare so this is her birthday present.

After booking the cheap airfare, I was expecting to be able to find some $40 dollar rooms on the strip as I have seen many times when looking in the past but it seems that this time of year the prices go up significantly. Not trying to break the bank, I ended up finding some rooms at the Gold Coast for an average of around $80 a night. She is not a big gambler, so the majority of our trip will probably be walking around sight seeing, hanging at the pool if it is nice, eating and a little gambling when I am able to.

Is the Gold Coast a good choice for this type of stay or is there other options you guys would recommend that would not end up significantly more expensive? The Gold Coast seems to be located close enough to the strip for easy access. Also, we were hoping to go to one of the Cirque shows, is there any good routes to go to find discounted tickets or deals on any of these? On that subject is there any way to get any good discount or coupons for any of the food, attractions, pools, ect. without having been to vegas every year? It seems as you return a lot of people get comped rooms and great discounts around town, but being I haven't been there in 5 years I was just wondering if there is any route for me to go or if full price on everything will be the only option for me.

Thanks for any input or recommendations!

2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No way would I be off strip. I know some folks do it, but to me, the real Vegas is walking out the front door to see the sights. For us, it is strip or stay home. We stopped renting a car a few years ago and have enjoyed our trips more. Lots of walking and then cabs or uber. Driving a car just dampers the whole experience.

With that said, you can find some deals on rooms, but they move up and down daily. You can see the same room at one hotel at $79 one day and $500 a few days later. Supplye and demand with big events and conventions the big swing. In case you have not noticed, most of the hotels will show their rates for a full month so you can see the highs and lows.

Which airline did you book through and what are the charges if you need to change dates?

Shows - check the entertainment section here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. mona

mona Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I take the bus everywhere, I know alot of people don't like that but I find it is the cheapest way to get around, may take longer than taking a cab or uber or lyft, but $20 gets you a 3 day unlimited ride pass. Though the Gold Coast may have a shuttle to the strip, it is definitely a bit of a walk from the Gold Coast to the strip. Maybe check rates downtown.

Flamingo with the sibs!!!
    5 nights NYNY!!!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, GC isn't really 'close' to the strip, so walking and seeing sights is kind of subjective (you gonna UBER it over that way and walk around?) dependent on your stamina. Remember, September in Vegas is still desert hot Las Vegas so that may temper some activities. Just being honest, if it's the wife's first trip, I'd think along the lines of staying on the strip so you just step out the front door and it's game on. Think about Bally's, Flamingo, etc. for rooms +/- what you're getting at Gold Coast. The benefit of being on the strip is you don't need a car. Just walk out the front door and turn either right or left to get where you wanna go. I'm sure if you poke around a bit you can find something comparable on the strip. Besides...the first time is kind of overwhelming for everyone...food for thought. :wiggle:

'Cause once per annum is insufficient...
  5. mikesmom

mikesmom Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am in Las Vegas right now. The Gold Coast is just way too far off the Strip in my opinion. Have you checked The Flamingo, Harrah's, The Cromwell, Bally's and The Linq? You might be able to score a reasonable room at these hotels and the location would be perfect, especially for your wife's first trip.

I hope you find what you are looking for and have a great trip. I have had a great four days here. I have been many, many times in my life, but my last visit was ten years ago. My son and I ate and shopped our way through Las Vegas.

6. kevin853

kevin853 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah agree with others. The first visit to Vegas needs to be on The Strip.

Luxor/Excalibur can be very cheap.

First visit myself was to The Excalibur and had a booklet in the room with all kinds of discount coupons.

Wherever you end up have a great time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. TedCheddy

TedCheddy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you haven't already, make sure you check out the "Vegas for the frugal" section on this site - lots of good ideas in there.

I'm going to agree with the others and say you've got to stay on the strip for her first trip - there might not be a second if you stay at GC the first time. :D Gold Coast is actually fine but you won't get that "Vegas" feel without being closer to the action - Excalibur, Harrahs are other lower cost places to check. It's easy spending other people's money but if you're going to splurge a little I would do it on a room - it's her birthday!

8. guapoxxx

guapoxxx High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1

Definitely splurge if it's your wife's birthday! Please let us know what you decide... Charlie

Annual Golf Trip
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. BobK89

BobK89 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have been to Vegas each year since 1989 and last year we stayed at the Gold Coast. Easy to get in and out and plenty of parking.

You will be 1/2 mile from the strip and there is easy access to downtown and to bypass the strip by taking I-15.

You'll need to car to get to the strip, because the walk is hot and a good hill over I-15.

The GC pool is very small and basic. If lounging by the pool is key, I recommend you look for a room on the strip.

As to show tickets, there is a Tix for Tonight booth at Town Square, a shopping center south of Mandalay Bay that NEVER has a line. Tickets for that night go on sale at 11am each day.

I hope this helps.

10. fudgewapner

fudgewapner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As others have said, you're just too far away. I honestly don't understand staying off-strip, and I've been to Vegas many times.

I'd look at Monte Carlo, NYNY, Ballys, Linq. Staying center strip for your first time is strongly advisable. You mention the pool, so Mirage, Monte, Flamingo would be good choices. The Luxor pool isn't bad - and that should be in the cheaper end, but it's south strip and there's more of a gap to the next hotels.

11. BobK89

BobK89 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From my experience, when I go it's with my brother and we can stay four nights at the GC for less than $240, total. More money for gaming!

12. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief Bottle Washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a downtown and off strip kind of guy but I've been 30 times,, her first trip should be spent on the strip,, spend the extra money and really enjoy the sites and sounds

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Peachiekeehn

Peachiekeehn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What are your exact dates?

14. dreric

dreric Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would also advise staying on the strip. I would put my two cents in for Bally's, especially if you can swing the Jubilee rooms. They have a fridge, coffee maker, and are large (by hotel room standards) and pretty updated with a decent view. I would avoid staying at Monte Carlo, just due to the fact that they are closing the pool and starting a major renovation project about that time. Another advantage to Bally's is that you are mid-strip. Next door to Paris and The Cromwell, across the street from Bellagio and Caesars Palace.

15. BobK89

BobK89 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I second this

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. jnohl1231

jnohl1231 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all of the input. I will keep an eye out to see if any room prices drop at that would allow us to stay on the strip. Checking around now, it looks like of the recommended hotels, the excalibur would be the only one that is under $180 a night. I am staying Saturday through Wednesday so it would be an extra 3-4 hundred to stay on the strip from what I can see.

Maybe if I keep monitoring I will get lucky and find one that drops down in price or run across a good promotion...

17. Lovegas95

Lovegas95 Too much work...need more play.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome to the board. You're a member of the family now and there's not a damn thing you can do about it. :peace: I'll echo the sentiments shared so far, for a very first trip, living on the strip to get the full Vegas vibe is almost a must if you can swing it. Luxor, while not mid-strip, is a good inexpensive resort. The glitz, glamour and excitement of the strip should be experienced at least once IMHO. (In My Humble Opinion)

18. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I totally agree with others here. I can't emphasize this next point enough; you will find that the cost of your rooms is probably the least amount of money you'll spend/day compared to food, drinks and gambling. Definitely stay at a mid priced strip hotel at a minimum and if you really want to have a great time and show her Vegas, stay at a top end place (Wynn, Cosmo, Aria). Actually one place that is a mid priced hotel and has some great room prices, is a great mid strip location and close to two of the best (IMO) cirque shows (LOVE and Mystere) is the Mirage. I was on their site the other day and if you register for MLIFE from their website, you'll start seeing specials show up every time you get on the net. I like the Tower Deluxe rooms there but if you're trying to keep cost down, a std room is nice too. And if she likes the pool, the Mirage still has one of the best pools on the strip.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are willing, share your exact dates. Some of the people on this board are great at finding deals. More eyes is always better, IMO.

• Like Like x 2
  20. BobK89

BobK89 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For my wife's first trip in 2002, we stayed at the Bellagio. Highly recommend it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.