1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Aria 8/25-8/28 Is it live or is it Memorex?

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by DozerTheBulldog, Aug 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DozerTheBulldog

DozerTheBulldog Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Which will it be, which will it be???….Wheels touching down in exactly 1 week - I'm going to try my best to do this live in its entirety. My first ill-fated live TR attempt fell flat on its face about ¾ of the way through my trip as my beloved city left me cursing, sniveling, curled up in a fetal position, & sucking my thumb…it was definitely the worst gambling beatdown I had ever received. That was this past January…

The Preamble to the Gamble

This August trip wouldn’t even have been possible if it weren’t for my stupidity last December when I booked my January 2016 flight. A large group of us meet up in Vegas mostly like clockwork each January for the NFL Conference Championship weekend. In past years, our trips coincided with MLK weekend. I must have missed the memo, but instead of making sure of the actual date of the games, I booked a flight which turned out to be one week before said games and when the rest of the group would be in town. Two days before my flight, I see an email about the following weekends activities that list dates that don’t match this weekend……F!!!!

In a panic, I check Southwest’s prices / availability for the following week, all sold out or 2x what I paid…….double F!!!!!

I really didn’t want to book on another airline since that would mean more $$$ out of my bankroll, so I seriously thought about going on the trip as planned - but as luck would have it, I managed to book some ridiculously low price via Frontier. It worked out to around $59 each way . Triple F Yeah!!!!!

Fast forward to late July….my wife says to me one night out of the blue, “Why don’t you use that credit from your cancelled January Southwest flight to go to Vegas solo in August before it expires…." Whaaaaatttt??? For once I was pretty speechless…I finally managed to tell her “Thank You!!!– are you sure???” :drooling::drooling::drooling:

So here we are, a trip out of hot & humid H-Town in a mere 7 days via Southwest. Thursday 8/25 - Sunday 8/28, “officially” staying at Aria for 3 nights comped, $300 in FP and $100 in resort credit. Rental car via Alamo / Costco travel.

Plans – besides the obvious (gambling, drinking & eating) – I plan to try and spend down a bunch of my MLife express comps that I’ve accumulated over the years, hitting up the Cosmo (thanks to Kevin Sweet for hooking me up on some freeplay - he couldn't help on a room for this trip), visiting some of my other favorite properties like the M, GVR & MSS and spending some time with my cousins family out in Henderson. I’ll try to report most events as they happen - but the main objective is to avoid another kick in the crotch gambling trip.
    I'd love to hang with any other VMBers that are in town during this time for a beer, gambling and some BS-ing.
    Thanks for following along!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hope you have a blast "Rocket"-ing out of Houston for an "Astro"-nomical Trip to Vegas!
    I look forward to following along--whether it be live or Memorex!

RICHARD

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. amk121

amk121 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have fun and enjoy your stay at Aria!

4. DozerTheBulldog

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Richard, I see what you did there!!!Hopefully my trip doesn't take a dump like both of the Houston sports teams that you mention did this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Irishkicker23

Irishkicker23 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looking forward to this trip report whether it be live or recapped. I will be staying at Aria in a little under three weeks for the first time. Some pictures would be greatly appreciated to satisfy the itch until then. Good luck and safe travels.

6. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enjoy your trip! I'm looking forward to following along.

7. emmas

emmas VIP Whale

Good luck on the trip.

I need all the luck I can get!
  8. irishdave

irishdave VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck!

9. DozerTheBulldog

Trips to Las Vegas:
    T minus 12 hours from liftoff....bag packed, shoes shined, and bankroll counted - wait, why am I a little light in the wallet? Well, appears that Bank of America closes up at 4pm during the week - WTF? I even left work early!Yeah, I could have hit up the ATM and gotten a crap load of 20s, but it will be just easier to hit up a branch in LV after getting the rental car. I even had almost $100 in rolled change I was going to turn in...wonder how many folks going to LV for gambling do so with less than $ 60 in their pocket? More in the morning....

10. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, my local BoA closes at 4p too. Tons of fees, but they can't stay open beyond 4? I was pissed the first time I showed up at 410p and they were closed.

11. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Houston we have a problem: Your bank has crappy hours.
    Have a safe flight, DTB...and have a blast after you withdraw that bankroll!

RICHARD

12. Vegasworm

Vegasworm Finger Clicker Extraordinaire

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have a blast and please share thoughts and pictures on Aria!

A bank closing at 4pm on a weekday is pretty lame.

The husband and I lived in Houston for 16 years. We haven't been back since we moved 3 years ago. Just can't bring ourselves to face the heat and humidity again.

Have a fabulous trip!

Vegasworm

13. DozerTheBulldog

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At the airport... wheels up in 1 hour, flight time 3 hrs and 5 mins. Temp in sin city is 84 degrees with a projected high of 100. Local community college girls volleyball team will be on the flight, looks like around 15 of them plus coaches etc. And our plane just pulled up to the gate. 1st win of the trip!

14. Verboten72

Verboten72 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Strapped in and ready to go! Can't wait to follow along...best of luck!

15. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First win of the trip being the volleyball team on the flight? or the plane pulling up to the gate??

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. DozerTheBulldog

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, guess that was two wins....but I was referring to the plane being here

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. DozerTheBulldog

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, boots are on the ground,it was a great flight and around 20 mins early. I took this pic too late, but had a great look at the dam & lake Mead.

18. DozerTheBulldog

Trips to Las Vegas:
  19. DozerTheBulldog

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Didn't get a pic, but nothing says "welcome to Las Vegas" more than the smokers death chamber at McCarran

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. DozerTheBulldog

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There's also this place uploadfromtaptalk1472143273827.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.